General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 02:01 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,709 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I for one do not need to bash Polaris. Even though people like to make sales comparisons between Polaris (Indian or Victory) and Harley, I firmly believe that Polaris has had little to do with slowing Harley sales.

I also think, that people who think Polaris is committed to making Indians for the foreseeable future could be hopeful at best or naive at worst.

Polaris may decide to continue the Indian name, but their world is in turmoil and as small as Indian sales really are, any Indian named long term growth will take a lot more investment on their part. The question they have to be asking, "is the return going to be there 5 years from now?"

But I understand it. I ride a Harley and I support Harley. It's natural. Someone who bought a Polaris Indian, is going to support it. They really don't have a choice. Some show their support by badmouthing Harley. Others talk up their ride. It's a go@-damned forum, do what you want.

The following 3 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
GPHDXLC (02-20-2018), jeffro09 (02-19-2018), StoneTrekker (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 PM
DJLamont
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_usa
If I understood you well, you bought a Sportster 1200 Custom NEW and had all the above problems, and kept it only for 9 months ?

From what I have read and heard, the Sportsters are supposed to be the most reliable Harley motorcycle in the whole HD line-up. Sorry to hear you had so many problems. You perhaps got a lemon ?

Actually the VRODs are the most reliable Harley's out there.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,709 Likes on 1,372 Posts

So if reliability is the takeaway, since 1988, my touring went 116,000, my sporty 60,000, and they are both still riding when I sold them. My '10 touring has been the best motorcycle I have owned for 50,000+ miles. What do I care if brand x or model y is "more" reliable. I expect this bike to go 90,000-100,000. I like it so much, I'm keeping it (down south) for winter and buying another similar model this spring.

I wrench on friends bikes, almost every issue is due to their negligence.

GPHDXLC (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
America too. Most harley owners I know take their bike out once or twice a year. They are the same people who deny that harley ever made a bad product and think that new brake fluid can solve poor design problems in an abs module.

At the dealer yesterday its sad the amount of used bikes that they want top dollar for. A used dyna lowrider for 13k isnt going to get new riders in. Also only one new m8 has dual disk brakes. As a young person who grew up on sportbikes and who has a dyna with a single 4 pot caliper, i wont buy a bike unless it has dual disks.
I just want to address your last point, because it’s about facts, not so much opinion. I bought a Heritage 114 and one of the concerns I had was the single disc up front.

I am an old sport bike rider who did tons of track days. I could wag the tail, using the front brake at 100 mph, so I pretty well never used the rear, unless I wanted to settle the chassis or step out the rear.

It’s a habit I took to the street. I rarely used the rear brake, unless on slippery surfaces.

Harley’s are different. Maybe it’s the wheelbase, but the rear brake plays a role in braking. The rear tire won’t lift off the ground, as there isn’t enough weight transference.

I can kick in the abs on the front wheel with the single disc. Applying both brakes slows me down faster.

I would still like to see dual discs up front. But to my suprise, I don’t think it’s really
necessary.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Yep I am on my 4th and 5th Harley and have a RK and Ultra, I can buy what I want. Ford is straight drunk on the HD kool-aide, people like that are why HD doesn't improve their quality. Why should they, Fords will buy anything with HD slapped on it... Whether I buy an Indian or not, I'll still have a Harley in the garage. Hell, maybe I'll go get that fast BMW bagger, mmmmm, so many choices.
Huh? The Harley Davidson branding thing on Ford trucks ended years ago.

GPHDXLC (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jz78817
Huh? The Harley Davidson branding thing on Ford trucks ended years ago.
Very true. Must have been 5 or so years ago.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:03 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
Very true. Must have been 5 or so years ago.
Lol! Referring to the poster named Ford. Not the brand. BACK A few posts, last page

Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Stel67
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Harley has relied on brand recognition for way to long. It used to be an honor for lack of a better word to own a Harley. They have been pushing out the same old bikes with little updates now for a long long time. The prices keep going up and re sale is for crap. I just sold my 2106 SGS and was planning on getting a M8. Now I am not sure I will buy another Harley, and I am a guy who has had a Harley in the garage for the last 25 years. I can afford what ever bike I want but can no longer justify spending that kinda money on a Harley. I am looking at a 2107 Bmw R 1200 GS this weekend. My Harley days appear to be all but over... it was fun while it lasted.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Lol! Referring to the poster named Ford. Not the brand. BACK A few posts, last page

Old 02-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

This is a little OT but since you mentioned Ford...
I was replacing a plastic connector on the fuel injector wiring harness on my Sporty last year. When I got it off and got up real close, I saw something familiar...the FORD motorcompany logo with the circle around it. LOL. Didn't expect to see that! But I guess it makes sense instead of reinventing the wheel.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?