General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 PM
mshred
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=Yamaharley;17066779]
Originally Posted by mshred
[left]

Don't worry, we all don't fit the mold. I don't know many other millennials that ride evos and drive a car from the early 70s. There is alot of rampant stereotyping on this site that doesnt help harleys sales.
Sounds like me, I have a car from the 70's too!

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Ya, i was talking **** on them awhile back only to find out i was one also but barely. I work in the oil and gas industry so i dont see many of the new millenials. They cant handle the industry. Long hours, hard manual labor, and not feeling special like the little snowflakes they are. Kneck to the deck is the common saying. I just really feel like hd isnt hungry for it like they should be. The bikes are pretty nice, save the fatbob, but pricing is just stupid. I was in a dealer this fall and they said typical interest is 15% and they get msrp. Thats just nuts. Thats unsecured loan rates and unrealistic to expect msrp. When i go in to look at buying a leftover im going to tell them i want 5k off msrp and around 1% financing. They can take it or leave it. Indian will do 0% if i want them to
Agree 100% about them.

As for the Harleys, everytime I go to my local dealer to price out or pick up small parts here and there, I look around at the new and even used bikes and it always kills me how much they cost. They fetch such a premium, and I get they are "Harleys" but damn, if they want more people riding them they need to make them a little more affordable if you ask me.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

[QUOTE=mshred;17069976]
Originally Posted by Yamaharley

Sounds like me, I have a car from the 70's too!

Agree 100% about them.

As for the Harleys, everytime I go to my local dealer to price out or pick up small parts here and there, I look around at the new and even used bikes and it always kills me how much they cost. They fetch such a premium, and I get they are "Harleys" but damn, if they want more people riding them they need to make them a little more affordable if you ask me.
There's real money to be made with used bikes. That's why they want them. The dealer give you s**t for them, puts as little money as possible to make them safe and not fall apart, and then turns around and sells them for way more than they gave the poor sap who traded it in. Many of us have been there and hopefully learned from the experience.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

[QUOTE=mshred;17066765]
Originally Posted by Jshopes

oh wow, I am definitely off then lol. I had thought it was people born 1990 and later.

Either way, I sure don't identify as one or adapt the typical **** ideologies and lifestyles they so proudly advertise and force on others

Three millennials rented a house down the street from me and two ride Sportsters they bobbed and the other rides a bobbed Honda Shadow. They are always working on them as well as the cars/trucks they own. Many of their friends are the same age and also ride motorcycles. I also see millennials in large groups riding Sportsters and Dynas. Of course, this is Oklahoma.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

[QUOTE=Tony P;17071396]
Originally Posted by mshred

There's real money to be made with used bikes. That's why they want them. The dealer give you s**t for them, puts as little money as possible to make them safe and not fall apart, and then turns around and sells them for way more than they gave the poor sap who traded it in. Many of us have been there and hopefully learned from the experience.
TRUTH!

El Cajon HD was asking $10,500 for an 06 Night Rod back a couple years ago that was right next to an 07 Night Rod for $8000. I called them out on it and was told they gave the person trading the 06 in a much higher trade in value since he was guying a CVO. "Not my problem, NADA says $8000, so I'll pay $8000"! Imagine how many dumb people walk into HD dealerships looking for a used bike who do absolutely zero research and get royally hosed on purchase price.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:24 PM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

I live on a very traveled road, and judging by the riders going by here (during riding season) neither Harleys or motorcycle riding in general is on a decline.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,765 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony P
Imagine how many dumb people walk into anywhere looking for anything who do absolutely zero research and get royally hosed on purchase price.
They get what they deserve - if they don't want to do their homework they should stay home...

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
it's because of that nutcase James Russell spreading bs on the net. http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html

who still uses earthlink? ...seriously?
Does anybody get the feeling he has a Sportster he wants to sell you?

I wish I'd known all the terrible issues with my Evo before I'd ridden it all these years.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DanHappy
It's funny talking to a millennium about computers of the 80 - 90s. They think your nuts when you tell them how you had to get on the Internet and cell phones were not invented yet. You think they would pass out or something from shock!

What the world would be like if cell phones were never invented....
Originally Posted by DanHappy
Yup!!! When talking to them, its like, "You want me to work OVERTIME?!!" WTF!!!? i AM TOO GOOD FOR THAT.

LOLOL
somehow I think these "millennials" you refer to are your own invention.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:30 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Does anybody get the feeling he has a Sportster he wants to sell you?

I wish I'd known all the terrible issues with my Evo before I'd ridden it all these years.
according to James, what you've done is impossible.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
according to James, what you've done is impossible.
I won't say I've never had trouble with it, but it only came in on a truck twice. Once from an accident (hit from behind at a light), and once from a flat tire. Both could have happened to ANY bike, even a SPORTSTER.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 02-09-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?