General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 AM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by NugBa
Great Bike!

My second favorite love is BMW. I had a 1150RT and was considering against a 1600 GTL. I loved the GTL but love the Harley more. The problems I have with BMW at the moment is their failure to better integrate the GPS system. Its too primitive for that bike. The Cost, the 1600 GTL would have cost me much more then an Ultra Limited and was simply not as comfortable for me. You can easily negotiate an Ultra Limited from 27k down to 23.5K for brand new bike. GTL with all the options I want only has about 2k markup so I would get it at 27k. The BMW dealer network just sucks in my area. And as much as I like the BMW, it just does not put a smile on my face like the Harley does. Well that and my wife hates them.

I still love BMWs but rather have a Harley now I am in my 40s.

John
Nothing wrong with any of that. If we all rode the same bike then what would we argue about?

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:32 PM
ekb55
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Small Harley's

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Harley should have made a enter level 350cc bike like the new 2017 Honda Rebel 20 years ago. But they relied on all the metic company’s to do this for them .

And if they want to save themselves, I would suggest that sometimes in the next 2 to 3 years they lower the price of ALL PARTS for the twin cams by 30 to 40% to keep these bikes on the roads . Until they fix the enter level bike problems !
Harley-Davidson had several small CC bikes in the past. Do a little research on them. Fascinating!

Old 01-29-2018, 06:50 PM
holytown
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Need more street 750s doing stunt shows

Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

And now due to demand in the US going down they are closing the Kansas City plant.
http://fox4kc.com/2018/01/30/harley-...ummer-of-2019/
"We are launching a significant, multi-year manufacturing optimization initiative that is anchored in the consolidation of our Kansas City, Mo. final assembly operations into our York, Pa. final assembly plant. This decision was made after very careful consideration of our manufacturing footprint and the appropriate capacity given the current business environment. We are constantly evaluating capacity and our current U.S. capacity exceeds U.S. demand.

We anticipate an increase of approximately 450 full-time, casual and contractor positions will be added at our York facility, which will be expanded to support additional production. Specific details on expansion are still being developed."

Harley-Davidson President & CEO Matt Levatich said closing the Kansas City plant will eliminate 800 jobs.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
And now due to demand in the US going down they are closing the Kansas City plant.
http://fox4kc.com/2018/01/30/harley-...ummer-of-2019/
"We are launching a significant, multi-year manufacturing optimization initiative that is anchored in the consolidation of our Kansas City, Mo. final assembly operations into our York, Pa. final assembly plant. This decision was made after very careful consideration of our manufacturing footprint and the appropriate capacity given the current business environment. We are constantly evaluating capacity and our current U.S. capacity exceeds U.S. demand.

We anticipate an increase of approximately 450 full-time, casual and contractor positions will be added at our York facility, which will be expanded to support additional production. Specific details on expansion are still being developed."

Harley-Davidson President & CEO Matt Levatich said closing the Kansas City plant will eliminate 800 jobs.

Translation:

We're selling fewer bikes and need to reduce costs and overhead to maintain profitability.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:53 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by PPearl
This is the thread where the old men with onions fastened to their belts come out and yell at the clouds.

I'm a millennial on a SG, I'm doing my part. She's not new, but as far as I can tell the news don't do anything *that* much better than my 09. Well, maybe the bag latches.

They'll both cruise the speed limit and crank tunes. If I need navigation, it's in my pocket and streamable via bluetooth. Maybe folks are just riding the current bikes they have? I see tons of bikes on the roads.
half the posters on here are not with the times lol
its simple we buy used and mod them to make them better than the moco ever could.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:03 AM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 702 Likes on 400 Posts

Shouldn't the title of the thread be" Why is motorcycling in general on the decline?" It's an industry question not just a single brand issue. I've said before that living in a tourist rich area has afforded me a glimpse into the lives of the rich and idle. We don't have nearly the motorcycles going by that we had 5 years ago. Maybe riders are taking staycations closer to home. We're rural and don't normally ride in groups. So we know the tourists.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,711 Likes on 1,372 Posts

As a millennial asked me, "how do you check your texts when riding?" Despite laws banning texting while driving, Millennial's do not use voice control or even talk to each other on their smart phone, they text, tweet, Instagram and they are looking for the next social media as they have made these listed above, boring and passe. Making emojis larger and more colorful ain't cutting it.

If you want a millennial to ride, you need a way to separate them from their smart phone for as long as it takes them to do anything else. Self driving cars and Uber are their answer now. "What, you expect me to actually drive a vehicle?"

This is not a Harley issue. This is not a motorcycle issue. This is a life issue.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Tony P (02-01-2018), Uncle G. (02-08-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:07 AM
hd_usa
Tourer
Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't know about other US states, but even with the great weather in California, I can hardly see motorcyclists using their bikes as means of transportation.

I see a lot of bikes out during weekends. But in my daily 70-mile commute, I would be lucky if I run into 10 other motorcycles. The weather was perfect today, and I ran into about 5 bikes in congested traffic.

Motorcycles seem to have become luxurious toys. They are not perceived as good means of transportation.

If more of us use our bikes as vehicles and show others that we save a lot of time and gas for our daily commute, maybe they will get on a bike. If they see motorcycles as expensive weekend toys, then they'd rather spend $15,000 to $20,000 on a car.

A friend of mine rides his Harley 60 miles per day, every day, for his commute. He can easily justify the costs to purchase his bike and to maintain it. In gas alone, he saves close to $2000 per year.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:25 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_usa

Motorcycles seem to have become luxurious toys. They are not perceived as good means of transportation.

If more of us use our bikes as vehicles and show others that we save a lot of time and gas for our daily commute, maybe they will get on a bike.

I agree totally with the first sentence above.

I'd like to agree with the second sentence, but it's probably wishful thinking in most parts of the country.

Probably dozens of reasons why bikes have become passé as daily transportation for all but a tiny minority. Weather issues. Safety issues. Related gear issues. The hassle factor. By far I think safety issues are the main reason bikes are falling into disfavor. We're a very risk-averse nation and culture. Drunk/drugged/texting/eating/distracted/ drowsy drivers make life hazardous. It's just easier to commute in a car...by far. And with today's reliance on connected technology, cars make that experience easier too.

I am one of those who looks at a motorcycle for myself as a 2-wheeled RV. It's an option in my life. I only ride for enjoyment. I'm willing to guess that 8/10 (or more) road bike owners only ride for pleasure the majority of the time.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?