General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Good point.

Harley might be reluctant to build something other than cruisers after Buell and MV Agusta didn't work out.
The timing for those brands might have been off too. Might be better in these times with the Millennials.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,919 Likes on 3,288 Posts

I wish the moco would close the doors today. Enough with the snowflakes by day OMC by night BS.
Go to bed.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
a lot. my first bike was an old vt500 that ran like a top. most of cafe racers running around are vintage rice based, tons are out there on 79 goldwings.. just be cause you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening... hds are a dime a dozen. they are under every rock you flip over... like 80's bmws lol
I'll take a dollars worth.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,262 Likes on 2,591 Posts

Spent a few hours at the dealer yesterday. They had my favorite event (Chili Cook-Off) Afterward I went to check out the bikes, wife looked at the cloths.

They had the blue Limited CVO $47K??? Was looking at and talking to a sales guy about a 115th Limited... Told me $29,133.00, + TTL, Setup, Freight (Invoice is $22,959). Wife came and got me with no clothing in her hand and said, cloths, button up shirts/ hoodies on the clearance were still $50.00... The new ones were $80+ .... idk, but if they are truly on some kind of decline, I guess I can kind of see why.

There will always be people who are willing to pay the prices and that's cool. At some point I may upgrade my bike also, but with these prices "to me" they are sure limiting their clientele.

On a side note, the sales guys says he has heard of the sumping and the trans fluid transfer, but they have not had any bikes back for anything but the oil clamp recall. Take it for what it's worth, it was a sales guy... My guess is he has no clue why bikes have come back for service.

Anyway... The Chili was sure good, but no money left my wallet for anything else.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:52 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Spent a few hours at the dealer yesterday. They had my favorite event (Chili Cook-Off) Afterward I went to check out the bikes, wife looked at the cloths.

They had the blue Limited CVO $47K??? Was looking at and talking to a sales guy about a 115th Limited... Told me $29,133.00, + TTL, Setup, Freight (Invoice is $22,959). Wife came and got me with no clothing in her hand and said, cloths, button up shirts/ hoodies on the clearance were still $50.00... The new ones were $80+ .... idk, but if they are truly on some kind of decline, I guess I can kind of see why.

There will always be people who are willing to pay the prices and that's cool. At some point I may upgrade my bike also, but with these prices "to me" they are sure limiting their clientele.

On a side note, the sales guys says he has heard of the sumping and the trans fluid transfer, but they have not had any bikes back for anything but the oil clamp recall. Take it for what it's worth, it was a sales guy... My guess is he has no clue why bikes have come back for service.

Anyway... The Chili was sure good, but no money left my wallet for anything else.
Yeah, I bet you could buy a nice F 150 or a boat for 47k and still have change.Wiz

Old 01-15-2018, 01:05 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

One thing younger Americans don't care as much about where there cars/bikes/anything comes from... and Harley Davidson has made it on the pride that it's American! When this happens the magic fades and the story turns to history
when the government can't even buy and use American made bikes/cars for there employ to use why would the younger generation think we need to have pride and want American made bikes? When I was a kid it was a Harley Davidson rolling down the street in the parade and that was a motorcycle... now the kid has no clue. Never have figured out why any country that made it's own would use someone else's??? Just saying

Last edited by 5150northrider; 01-15-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I've been riding Harleys for over 50 years and since day 1 of my Harley ownership, I've been hearing that the moco is on the decline. What I'd really like to know is when they are going to hit bottom since according to everyones opinions over the years, they are on the decline. They were going belly up in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and now today. If they are on the decline, it sure is a pretty gradual slope that they are on. Just go back to whatever year suits your fancy and you can probably find plenty of articles and opinions that HD is on the decline. In that article he mentions that the stock price is the same today as it was years ago. He failed to mention the stock splits they have had during that same time frame and there were a few. He also compared HD to a company, Polaris, that sells more than motorcycles. When and if Harley failes as a business, then I'll believe it. Until then, I ignore the nay sayers. They have been wrong about Harley for over 50 years, so why should I believe them now?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:11 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bluster
It would help if The Motor Company would place some of its Street Rods and Sporties in hipster locations, like coffee shops. Tapas bars, etc. A merchandising tie-in with selected Starbucks, for instance. A bike and a selection of cool clothes, boots, etc. on display. That and a website. Most H-D dealerships are located on the periphery of big cities, near the Interstate Hwy system. Have to wanna bike to go there.
We had a dealership right on the downtown main street. It was a busy place and didn't hurt for sales. Then along came the new paradigm that dictated dealerships move to the Interstate.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
I've been riding Harleys for over 50 years and since day 1 of my Harley ownership, I've been hearing that the moco is on the decline. What I'd really like to know is when they are going to hit bottom since according to everyones opinions over the years, they are on the decline. They were going belly up in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and now today. If they are on the decline, it sure is a pretty gradual slope that they are on. Just go back to whatever year suits your fancy and you can probably find plenty of articles and opinions that HD is on the decline. In that article he mentions that the stock price is the same today as it was years ago. He failed to mention the stock splits they have had during that same time frame and there were a few. He also compared HD to a company, Polaris, that sells more than motorcycles. When and if Harley failes as a business, then I'll believe it. Until then, I ignore the nay sayers. They have been wrong about Harley for over 50 years, so why should I believe them now?

You sure about the 90's? I don't recall any time between 1992 and 2017 where HD was crying about failing. If you recall correctly there was a waiting list to buy a new HD back in the early 90's. Maybe some utterances in 2008, but the whole damn economy was in the ******* at that point.

The following users liked this post:
rideon (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
You sure about the 90's? I don't recall any time between 1992 and 2017 where HD was crying about failing. If you recall correctly there was a waiting list to buy a new HD back in the early 90's. Maybe some utterances in 2008, but the whole damn economy was in the ******* at that point.
HD isn't crying about it now. Posters are.

The following users liked this post:
rideon (01-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?