General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 02:58 PM
old timer 1
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't know if it's already been said but I think the desire to ride a bagger is for an older rather than younger rider...AND not every rider wants to ride an image rather than the bike . You know who you are...

The following users liked this post:
Geoff (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ford13
Harley is not going to make 1995 sportster 883s again just for you man. Time marches on.
Hey, I had one of those.

They don't make the 883 anymore?

Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Ducati introduced some new bikes that are in step with market demand. Best example is the Scrambler. Also, Ducati's brand image connects with young buyers.

Originally Posted by DanHappy
I like thay idea but I don't think it would sell. A kit maybe or special order yes.

Having that motor in the touring line though I like. Switch motors.
A bagger with the V-Rod Revolution mill might compromise sales of the Electra Glide, Harley's most profitable bike.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 01-16-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Some one on this site said Harleys have a rep of not being as reliable as a Foreign bike. How many Hondas or other Japanese bikes do you see that are over 30 t0 40 years old, have 100 to 200 and up thousand's of miles on them and are still on the road. Go to Sturgis and you will see hundreds of Harleys with that age and mileage. Just saying, Harleys are King
I ONLY got 206,000 miles out of my Sportster before the main shaft bearing went in my transmission in 2017. Everyone of the 5 Harleys that participated in the Iron Butt Rally completed the rally. I'd say their reliability is on par with most other brands.

At the same time I have seen many other brands with 100, 200, and sometimes 300,000 miles on them in the long distance riding community.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:55 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
A bagger with the V-Rod Revolution mill might compromise sales of the Electra Glide, Harley's most profitable bike.
That right there is one of the most significant reasons that established companies eventually get displaced by competition.

If you aren't willing to compete with yourself, someone else will.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:03 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,758 Likes on 3,115 Posts

Originally Posted by A&F
Is the improvements on a 2018 'Busa really that much better then a 15 year old 'Busa? Any 90's sport bike is still going to be insanely fast, strong braking and potentially "to much for a new/common/stupid" rider.
2008MY Suzuki "upped" the performance of their flagship 'busa. And yes, it's not a beginner's bike.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
That right there is one of the most significant reasons that established companies eventually get displaced by competition.

If you aren't willing to compete with yourself, someone else will.
Good point.

Harley might be reluctant to build something other than cruisers after Buell and MV Agusta didn't work out.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:50 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Some one on this site said Harleys have a rep of not being as reliable as a Foreign bike. How many Hondas or other Japanese bikes do you see that are over 30 t0 40 years old, have 100 to 200 and up thousand's of miles on them and are still on the road. Go to Sturgis and you will see hundreds of Harleys with that age and mileage. Just saying, Harleys are King
a lot. my first bike was an old vt500 that ran like a top. most of cafe racers running around are vintage rice based, tons are out there on 79 goldwings.. just be cause you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening... hds are a dime a dozen. they are under every rock you flip over... like 80's bmws lol

Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,319 Likes on 5,856 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
a lot. my first bike was an old vt500 that ran like a top. most of cafe racers running around are vintage rice based, tons are out there on 79 goldwings.. just be cause you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening... hds are a dime a dozen. they are under every rock you flip over... like 80's bmws lol
Just to elaborate on your point here, the vintage rice is MUCH harder to keep going once it gets older. I came from Vintage Honda Goldwings, and if you cant find good used or NOS you are kinda screwed. I have a 76 and a 77 Goldwing sitting in storage right now, with nearly enough parts to build another, but some stuff is just unicorn blood (good carbs for one)

I can go to nearly any indy shop (and even some dealers) and get parts for just about any bike the MOCO made. There just arent as many people out there making parts for the vintage rice, and when you do find it, you PAY for it.

I do agree about used Harleys being a dime a dozen, but the vintage rice isnt exactly gold plated either.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Damn right! My 81 and 83 are still on the road. Put 200000 on my 97 springer and have 112000 on my 11. It comes down to owner's care and commitment to take care of their machine so the machine will take care of them. Same goes for classic cars and anything else worth preserving. Harleys are not considered "Expendable"! I have no problems with metric bikes, I owned a string of them that were great machines, but now often their owners just drive them into the ground and buy another one.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (01-12-2018)

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?