General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 03:27 PM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I think this guy hit the nail on the head. You shouldn’t be on the board unless you ride. It would be nice if they had a few people like TwiZted Biker or even the cantankerous and late Twistnride on the board.
that's not how public companies work. the independent directors on the board are elected by shareholders to represent the shareholders' interests in the company.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:28 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
One of the board members is a former Starbucks exec. Who would know more about today's Harley riders?
The exec. might not know "Harley riders" but knows how sell a brand to a diverse market and make a ton of money doing it. Harley has enough "Harley riders". Right now they need riders who may not have ever considered Harley before partly because of "Harley Riders".

Old 01-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,701 Likes on 6,490 Posts

A different younger generation. Older biker from the 60's and 70's are fading away. Too many used Harleys for sell.

Last edited by 470004; 01-06-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:37 PM
ddsdoorguy
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with you on the perception of harley riders. My son (25) wants nothing to do with Harley. He even purchased a softail slim to try it, for me. It now sits in the garage until he can sell it, with less than 2000 miles on it. He liked the bike ok, but hates the Harley culture!!! We wants nothing to do with the culture. From how we dress to ride, to the events we go to, to how we actually ride, he hates it. So Harley has cultivated this image and has to live with it.
However, the younger generation is also a different breed of rider, and it has nothing to do with Harley. Most younger riders I come into contact with don't really want to ride. And I mean put miles on a bike. They are shocked when I say i'm going on a 1000 mile weekend ride, or a 500 mile day ride, or a 4000 mile road trip. They don't want to put the miles on their bikes. So why by an expensive road bike. Buy a bike that they can trade off every year for something different. Also, they don't want to do charitable toy runs or porker runs, rallies or the like. They think it's a waste of time. Something Harley riders do often.
So I don't think all the blame can be place squarely on Harley Davidson and their "crappy quality" bikes. The younger culture is different, and metric bike seem to cater to that better.

The following users liked this post:
rideon (01-07-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 07:14 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,605 Likes on 3,039 Posts
Talking Starpuke model designations...

Originally Posted by Frostbite
One of the board members is a former Starbucks exec. Who would know more about today's Harley riders?
New models to debut soon~

"Grande" will be the old sportsters.

"Vente" will be the Dyna (whoops, I meant Softails)

"Super Vente" (or whatever starbucks call their biggest choice) will be the touring rigs.

The "Street" series will be known as "latte."

Old 01-06-2018, 10:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

OP by "riding" do you really mean sales?

Old 01-06-2018, 11:36 PM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

It's the uniform and all the rules. The crappy dealership attitude and service, and the price. With all the used bikes at decent prices why buy new?

Old 01-07-2018, 01:14 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 16,147 Likes on 6,506 Posts

Originally Posted by HubBub
It's the uniform and all the rules. The crappy dealership attitude and service, and the price. With all the used bikes at decent prices why buy new?
Some folks just like the idea that they're the first to park their tookus on the seat.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:40 AM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
Some folks just like the idea that they're the first to park their tookus on the seat.
Yeah, I get it and if I had the money I would. If, on the other hand, my choices were between all the money for a new Harley, a lot less money for something else new or a used Harley? I'd go used. There's an *** for every seat and I can't help that they gave theirs up but I'm happy to take it!

Old 01-07-2018, 04:40 AM
BBM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 582 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryT
The exec. might not know "Harley riders" but knows how sell a brand to a diverse market and make a ton of money doing it. Harley has enough "Harley riders". Right now they need riders who may not have ever considered Harley before partly because of "Harley Riders".
Lets use "Harley Owners" instead of "Harley riders". If the majority actually rode, actually kept their bikes and and rode for years, HD wouldn't have many of the issues now facing them. HD has a bunch of wanna-bes. Baggers that never tour, cruisers that sit in garages and $40K CVO's for the middle age crisis.

Today's "rider" looks, buys, has accessories installed, gets a wardrobe, shows friends and families, sits at the bar with it parked out front, washes and waxes it and then sells cheap - 2-3K mileage. Sound familiar?

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?