General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:47 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I hear you there. I'm right with you.

Of course, by that standard, Harley already stopped making Harleys a long time ago.

Which is pretty much why the new stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest.
I agree...it's why I said I'll probably never buy a new Harley. Doesn't interest me in the same way that a new BMW R1200 GwhateverRS doesn't interest me.

Originally Posted by rhino1250
You old dogs are not being alienated you're dying off, big difference.
As far as fuel injection, Bluetooth, heated grips,etc... harleys have all of that **** and if moco doesn't want to die with you they will change with the times like they have before
See below.
(I'll bet nuts to butts that you're older than I am.)

Originally Posted by cvaria
he's not old (seriously)... just old spirited

Old 01-04-2018, 06:23 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,756 Likes on 3,114 Posts

Originally Posted by victory11
Many applicants either don't have a driver's license or can't pass a pee test according to some friends who are looking for help
Truer words are seldom spoke.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:57 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

even if harley went away there are plenty aftermarket companies to keep the riding alive forever. S&S, Baker and many aftermarket frame makers to chose from. i've buildt bikes that had no actual harley part on them except the inner primary and maybe a gasket or two.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 AM
BBM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 582 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Well I can see to a degree why they are stuck in a time warp to keep the loylest happy, But let’s face it 4 valve heads on a 1200 evo ain’t undoabale and a step into the 20th.**** my first honda a 1972 xl 250 Motorsport had a 4 valve head and that was 45 years ago. Step forward, My 1200 custom still has the same 2 valve heads they used in the engine design since 1903.Gee Wiz ��
There is no good reason HD can not move into the new millennial with an advanced bike and keep the old **** too, for the stubborn, mindless pirates. Why does it anger the sheep to have advancements?

By the measure of posts here most of ya'll should be riding only pan-heads to stay true to your convictions about what's a real Harley and what ain't. A rigid, 40 HP, foot clutch, hand shift with a 6 volt system.

The following users liked this post:
rhino1250 (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 01:53 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

[QUOTE=rhino1250;16968677]You old dogs are not being alienated you're dying off, big difference.
As far as fuel injection, Bluetooth, heated grips,etc... harleys have all of that **** and if moco doesn't want to die with you they will change with the times like they have before[QUOTE]
And if the moco is going to survive in a quility / value world were all living in , they better pull their finger out. Now !Wiz

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 01-05-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Zeke 666
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the UK bike ownership is down, one of the main reasons is that a young person has to take multiple tests to get an unrestricted bike licence.

Very few seem to make the step between little twist and go scoots and bigger bikes.

It is scary that the vast majority of riders here seem to be old dudes ( me included).

This is particularly true of HD riders here.

Young guys seem to go for dirt or sports bikes.

Thinking about HD, they should take a look at what BMW bikes have done, it was not long ago that they were seen as "old mans bikes" with just the old Touring Boxer engines.

Now they have a very wide range covering highly successful IL4 Sports bikes, Adventure bikes
alongside the traditional tourers, a real turnaround.

Triumph have also been a success story here with a good range of affordable bikes.

So, my summary is I agree with a lot that has already been said, HD issues are down to Price, Image and the limited range of bike they offer.

I think they really need to do a BWM and expand the range whilst keeping the core.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM
twoglides13
Road Captain
Received 254 Likes on 156 Posts

I think the lack of resale value has a lot to do with it. Big money up front, no (comparable) value in three years.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 AM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by twoglides13
I think the lack of resale value has a lot to do with it. Big money up front, no (comparable) value in three years.

I'm not sure if this is a contributing factor or more of a symptom caused by slackened interest. In any event, it sure doesn't encourage people to fork up big dollars for new rides...unless they have the money and are in it for the long haul.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:19 AM
Roger Rimshot
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My experience with a 2017 EG Ultra

Just b/c its cold (10 deg and windy here), I'll add this since none of us has anything better to do:
My wife and I flew out to Denver and rented a '17 EG with the new amazing M8 engine. Its a wholly different and hugely improved ride over my '12 103 EG (Loretta ) The seat never got uncomfortable. Its a smoother ride both from a vibration and handling perspective. I was immediately smitten. But, after living with it for 3 wks, its little faults dampened my desire for one.
1st, it just doesn't look as beautiful as my '12 Ultra. The gauge cluster isn't as attractive and the screen in the middle is just plain ugly. I don't care for the stripped-down appearance either. I prefer the old-school bag rails on my '12, and they took away the fairing's wind deflectors. 2nd, the one-touch saddle bags are nice, but once fully packed, were difficult to close. The compartments on the lowers of both sides felt flimsy and kept sticking closed. 3rd, they reduced the diameter of the handle grips and my throttle hand would cramp up in stop n go traffic. 4th, the hydraulic clutch lever doesn't feel as predictable as my cabled clutch. 5th, altho' I love the look of the cut-down wind screen, the top edge of it obscured my vision at exactly where I needed to be looking for pot holes. At 5'-10" I was constantly looking over or under it for a clear view. Plus, at hwy speed, helmet buffeting was an issue despite the vent that was supposed to mitigate that. Finally, colors for '17 are bland or just plain ugly.
All that said, when I got home and back on my bike, I was shocked by how poorly it handled at low speed. So much so I pulled off the road to inspect it, thinking I had a flat tire. Compared with the '17, my '12 handles like a truck w/o power steering. However, after I got used to it again, I have to say I love my bike. It has character - personality. With over 50k mi on it, it has been rock-solid reliable. So, HD'll have to correct some things, make some improvements, and hire a new guy in charge of color to get me to buy a new one. Meanwhile, Loretta and I wait for spring!

Old 01-05-2018, 01:29 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by BBM

By the measure of posts here most of ya'll should be riding only pan-heads to stay true to your convictions about what's a real Harley and what ain't. A rigid, 40 HP, foot clutch, hand shift with a 6 volt system.
well i'm glad someone knows what a "real " harley is !

Last edited by hardheaded; 01-05-2018 at 01:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GFVIII (01-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?