General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 03:38 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Rimshot
No, no! Don't get me wrong...I'm saying keep those V-Twin icons that are best sellers. But, I don't know, wasn't it like 11 new models introduced this year?
Every model with unique parts = cost.

In order to stay in business and earn a new customer loyalty among the young, I'm saying produce the kind of bike that can not just compete with, but slam the competition in terms of quality, performance and price. That will require a new engine, and a whole different look.

I'll probably never buy a Sportster, Fat Boy or Road Glide, but that won't keep me from buying a new Electra Glide; uhm, with heated grips!

They didnt increase the cost with the new models. They reduced it. Sharing platforms among different models is the oldest manufacturing trick there is.

The sales are declining because people like the poster who responded to you " I buy Harleys because they are Harleys" are in decline. And I am one of them by the way. People who buy Harleys because they are Harleys are not born anymore, they are dying.

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Bluster (02-03-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:49 PM
judgedelta
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 162 Posts

Thank you gentlemen, one and all, for the past 25 pages of entertainment, during the reading of which I did not buy a single thing on the internet. Having recently bought a BMW 1200GAS, while loving my Road Glide no less, I am able to see quite clearly everyone's perspective on the problems with HD and it's entrappment between the oncoming generations and the old-guard customers, almost none of whom are older than myself. There aren't any sure-fire quick solutions to the problems of Harley, or the M/C industry in general, but as things are looking now, in order to survive, the companies are going to have to get leaner and more efficient without totally alienating their customer base. I won't ever buy another bike of any kind, but I'll keep riding my geezerglide, at least part-time, as long as I can pick Shamu up off of the driveway. Winter is the best time to **** and moan about any subject that someone wants to bring up. Be of good cheer, Spring will come, sooner for some and later for others, but if you live, it will come. Happy New Year and stay warm. JD

Old 01-04-2018, 03:50 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
They didnt increase the cost with the new models. They reduced it. Sharing platforms among different models is the oldest manufacturing trick there is.

The sales are declining because people like the poster who responded to you " I buy Harleys because they are Harleys" are in decline. And I am one of them by the way. People who buy Harleys because they are Harleys are not born anymore, they are dying.
I'm the poster he's responding to for what it's worth.

To be honest, I don't really even care that Harley is dying. I love Harleys, it's become a huge part of my life. That said, I wouldn't buy a new Harley and have no plans to. All of my bikes are old bikes and all of my parts come from friends, swapmeets, and connections. Anything that I can get from the dealer I can get in the aftermarket if I need it and usually for way cheaper.

I don't think there's a bike that's come out after the Evo that I would want.

EDIT: I shouldn't say I don't care. It would be a bummer if they didn't exist anymore because I do like the brand and the history. What I'm really saying is that if HD went under tomorrow, it wouldn't affect me too much if at all.

Last edited by maverick31210; 01-04-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:13 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Had no idea they were on the decline. I guess I should buy something trendy. haha.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:40 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,670 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick31210
As a Harley rider, I can tell you right now...I don't want anything besides a V-Twin, I don't want radiators, I don't want Bluetooth, cup holders, navigation, heated grips, or even fuel injection. If I wanted any of that lame ****, I'd buy a car or a Goldwing.
I hear you there. I'm right with you.

Of course, by that standard, Harley already stopped making Harleys a long time ago.

Which is pretty much why the new stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
maverick31210 (01-04-2018), Tommy C (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,345 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick31210
Seriously?

And alienate the people that buy Harleys now?

People don't buy Harley for performance...or if they do, they made a bad call. People buy a Harley because it's a Harley. 115 years of good marketing and brand loyalty will do that.

If you want to buy a Honda, buy a Honda. It's a different bike, different ride, different look, different everything. We don't need more Hondas.

As a Harley rider, I can tell you right now...I don't want anything besides a V-Twin, I don't want radiators, I don't want Bluetooth, cup holders, navigation, heated grips, or even fuel injection. If I wanted any of that lame ****, I'd buy a car or a Goldwing.
You old dogs are not being alienated you're dying off, big difference.
As far as fuel injection, Bluetooth, heated grips,etc... harleys have all of that **** and if moco doesn't want to die with you they will change with the times like they have before

The following users liked this post:
Mr.Bluster (02-03-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:05 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
You old dogs are not being alienated you're dying off, big difference.
As far as fuel injection, Bluetooth, heated grips,etc... harleys have all of that **** and if moco doesn't want to die with you they will change with the times like they have before
he's not old (seriously)... just old spirited

The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
maverick31210 (01-04-2018), rhino1250 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cvaria
he's not old (seriously)... just old spirited
Nothing wrong with that

Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,709 Likes on 955 Posts

I've noticed a HUGE DECLINE in Harley riding, at least in my area. I used to see Harleys all over the place, almost every day. Then about a month ago, nothing. All I see now is snow, salt and cinders.

The following 4 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
braxdad10 (01-06-2018), GFVIII (01-05-2018), Mr.Bluster (02-03-2018), rhino1250 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:20 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior

Put your cold gear on and get out there

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?