General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
Younger people in the construction field are usually high school drop outs. They did poorly in school and couldn't get a good job afterwards so they have to pound rebar with a hammer or chunk hay bails for a living
This is a big issue that I don't think we've come to grips with as a society. Our economy increasingly pays a tremendous premium for "brain work". Over the last 20 or so years, all the money is flowing to the really smart guys (ie, Jeff Bezos, etal).

By definition, about 16% of a given population will have an IQ below 85. That is the minimum level required to enlist in the US Army.

Based on the size of the US population, that means there are about 50 million Americans that the Army considers too stupid to train, even if just to take a bullet or clean latrines.

150 years ago, there was plenty of productive things for those guys to do. Back then, just about everyone worked directly in agriculture, and a few were making their way into grunt work in factories. That sort of work enabled the low-IQ population to enjoy the dignity of productive, valuable work. They had the capacity to do useful things.

Today, all that has changed. The percentage of people manually working in the fields is effectively zero. Farming is now high-tech work, requiring smart guys who know how to run sophisticated equipment. Factory work is now brain work as well, since a large percentage of the mindless, repetitive tasks have been automated. Trade-craft like plumbing, electrical, mechanical repair, welding, machining, etc, etc, etc has also all become much more sophisticated, all of which puts the squeeze on the guys at the bottom of the cognitive barrel.

I don't have any idea what happens to those guys who lack the brain power to do today's type of work, other than knowing that few of them will ever be in a position to walk into a Harley dealer and plop down $25k for a new motorcycle.

Originally Posted by MIRoadKing65
Completely agree on the cliche' image of Harley riders being offputting....I will be 53 this year and just bought my first Harley (used) last year. I probably would have bought a newer used bike but I think I got a pretty good deal on the 05 Road King Custom that the previous owner had tricked out. Not much I am changing on it...windshield (got a taller one as the previous owner was short), changing to fishtail exhaust come spring, and a couple of chrome add ons. I still have my 13 Spyder STS in the garage (trying to sell that).
I'd never criticize someone else for their personal decisions, but this is me right here. There is an abundance of fabulous, clean bikes out there available for pennies on the dollar compared to new. I couldn't begin to justify spending the money on a brand new one.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:38 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha

I don't have any idea what happens to those guys who lack the brain power to do today's type of work, other than knowing that few of them will ever be in a position to walk into a Harley dealer and plop down $25k for a new motorcycle.
They sell drugs and join gangs or suckle on welfare

... some of the ones that sell drugs might buy a new Harley if they don't get caught and sent to prison first I guess?

Last edited by rhino1250; 01-04-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BBM
Because HD is stuck in a time warp due to their close-minded and sheep mentality base. Simple as that.

While other moco's are "advancing", HD is not.
Well I can see to a degree why they are stuck in a time warp to keep the loylest happy, But let’s face it 4 valve heads on a 1200 evo ain’t undoabale and a step into the 20th.**** my first honda a 1972 xl 250 Motorsport had a 4 valve head and that was 45 years ago. Step forward, My 1200 custom still has the same 2 valve heads they used in the engine design since 1903.Gee Wiz 🙄

Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 AM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 702 Likes on 400 Posts

Many applicants either don't have a driver's license or can't pass a pee test according to some friends who are looking for help in northern Mi. And in northern Mi. the pay for the same job is considerably less than the cities of southern Mi. Try to buy a high ticket item on $11 an hour.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:35 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Younger people in the construction field are usually high school drop outs. They did poorly in school and couldn't get a good job afterwards so they have to pound rebar with a hammer or chunk hay bails for a living
i've been a union member for 44 years and retired after working 38. the times have changed for the unions. no longer can you be a drop out or a drug addict and get in the unions. you must have a drivers license and be a high school graduate. my union gives everyone a written test that you must pass and then ,and only then they drug test you. fail either and you are not getting in. the test is pretty hard too !

what gets me is they let the minorities just walk in. some have been in the program for 6 months and still are not capable of reading a tape measure. some just can't be taught anything. this will be the downfall of the trades. shoddy work at high prices. we have our goverment to thank for this. the goverment was not here when we started this union, our health care or pensions. why do they think they need to stick their nose in now ?

Old 01-04-2018, 11:50 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by NMfxdf
I also don't think that a lot of people my age have the funds to purchase anything, mainly because the government or their parents haven't provided it for them.
True. They (now) are the give me group. All "entitled" to everything and will sit back and wait for it to be given to them. Ones that work think they worked at a place for a week, they deserve to be the boss. Period. No working up the ladder. Overtime? Bufff! Come in early? Buff!!! Weekends?!!! Buff!!! Think the world will end if they have to work over the 8 hour / 40 hour weekday.

At work here we have a handful of 20 - 30 year olds. They come in 10 minutes late every day, leave for lunch 10 - 15 minutes early and come back 10 - 15 minutes late, then stand around and talk about how lunch was and where they went, then out the door 10 minutes early. All the time complaining they are "so busy"!!!!

Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
i've been a union member for 44 years and retired after working 38. the times have changed for the unions. no longer can you be a drop out or a drug addict and get in the unions. you must have a drivers license and be a high school graduate. my union gives everyone a written test that you must pass and then ,and only then they drug test you. fail either and you are not getting in. the test is pretty hard too !

what gets me is they let the minorities just walk in. some have been in the program for 6 months and still are not capable of reading a tape measure. some just can't be taught anything. this will be the downfall of the trades. shoddy work at high prices. we have our goverment to thank for this. the goverment was not here when we started this union, our health care or pensions. why do they think they need to stick their nose in now ?
This. Find me a union where you don’t require a drug test, drivers license or testing to be qualified. Transcripts are almost always necessary as well as your own transportation. You get hurt on the job? Automatic drug screening. Random drug tests are the norm as well. Some of us younger guys prefer the hands on aspect of the trade. I’d go crazy living my life in a cubicle. Long hours, weekends, overnight shifts give me all that and some.

The following users liked this post:
hardheaded (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:23 PM
maverick31210
Road Captain
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jz78817
oh, stuff it. 99.99% of people drive because they have to. not because they like to. a manual transmission is a needless hassle for 99.999999999999999% of driving the average person does. heck, I've had numerous cars with a stick and even I'll tell you most of the driving I've had to do (e.g. commuting) sucks and the transmission doesn't make it any more "fun."

take that crap to Jalopnik where you can sit in the comment section and congratulate each other on how awesome you are because you can go "hurr durr save the manuals."
LOL wut?

I'd take a manual over an auto any day. I can still smoke a cigarette and drink a beer while shifting gears in SoCal traffic. It's not that hard. My dad taught me to drive on a manual and I've never owned an automatic. If you can't handle pressing a clutch pedal during some traffic, then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:25 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I deal with unions once in a while, and generally, some are good and some are worthless. The people are the same. You know who to go for help and who to keep away from.

All depends.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:48 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

They sell drugs and join gangs or suckle on welfare

... some of the ones that sell drugs might buy a new Harley if they don't get caught and sent to prison first I guess?
buying a new harley will get them sent to prison if they do it cash..... gotta play make believe.... get the mcdonalds check to at least appear legit and finance it. then pay it off fast, lol

over 9,999 in cash gets you referred for investigation

Last edited by cvaria; 01-04-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?