General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:30 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by rhino1250
All of the super old people tell me that the generation of people that were in their prime in the 60s were the worst.

bunch dope fiends that humped like rabbits. had to of been awesome at the time.

lucky jerks got this all day long:

all we get is women that look like graffiti covered walls in a city alleyway (joking)

Last edited by cvaria; 01-03-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Well ill just eat my words. I just had to look up a generational chart and apparently im a millenial at 36 years old. I was apparently thinking of the centennials. I definately dont fit the mold. Earlier statement retracted. I own a home, a harley, a daily driver, 2 classics, moved out at 20, and couldnt care less about the latest greatest tech craze. I was super stoked today to start my week off but this revelation just ruined it.
Don't feel bad bud, all my life I thought I was a baby-boomer. Officially according to Wiki, I missed it by one month. Don't know what I am.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

I really feel like the snowflake stereotype really applies more towards those from the later part of the generation than the earlier and bleeds over into the igen. That generation is enough to drive a person nuts.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:04 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 834 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
All of the super old people tell me that the generation of people that were in their prime in the 60s were the worst.
Maybe on the right and left coasts; I might have to agree with the Haight and Soho stuff; I lived it in the deep south, and never saw a hippie except on tv. I think it was more regional then than now. There was no social media, heck no real media at all back then except for Cronkite.

What I see now is pervasive country-wide, I wont call it laziness, I don't know what to call it, I guess I'll just call it outright "sorriness" - across all racial and socio-economic labels. When I grew up, someone who did not live up to their potential or failed all the time, or just sat on their *** all the time and complained, were called "sorry". "Betty's husband is sorrier that the stink on $h!t" "good grief what a sorry s.o.b." etc

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 5,263 Likes on 1,870 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
bunch dope fiends that humped like rabbits. had to of been awesome at the time.

lucky jerks got this all day long:

Last edited by Windseeker; 01-03-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I really feel like the snowflake stereotype really applies more towards those from the later part of the generation than the earlier and bleeds over into the igen. That generation is enough to drive a person nuts.
I think a snowflake can be from any generation, it's just a polite way of calling someone a *****

The following 2 users liked this post by rhino1250:
Campy Roadie (01-03-2018), cvaria (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 01:17 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Eh, ride whatever ya want... I dont care about Millenials any more than they care about me, which is nil..
Hate to say but people need to start caring. Yea, a little off topic, but...

THEY will be running the world when we are all gone or too old to be able to do anything. They will be taking care of us in old folk homes. We need to start to care or else...

Generally speaking of the uleless ones and not ones on here of course...

Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
I am going to try "one last " time to make my point. I dont think anyone who is a young adult these days, are into classic cars and or bikes because, they are a constant maintenance headache. A 1969 Roadrunner or ant 1969(fill in the blank) car would require constant maintenance to be a daily driver. A lot more maintenance than a modern vehicle. usually, that maintenance was done by the vehicle owner. In the old days, most men knew the basics of how to keep their car or truck running themselves. That being said, I don't think there is much interest in the old car, old bike thing. I would think that most modern young adults want a maintenance free, well performing vehicle at an affordable price, car or motorcycle. H-D brought the "blacked out" bikes out because who wants to polish and maintain chrome? It takes time when you could be riding. The whole maintenance thing doesn't sell well
For the last goddamn time, what is all this garbage about "polish and maintain chrome"??? I've had my "chrome" bike for 24 years, done nothing to the chrome except wash and wax, and occasional wipe with a damp microfiber towel. Still looks like new after all these years. In fact, I dare say the chrome has held up better than the black paint has.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:31 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Windseeker
that's just mean

Old 01-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Gozzie
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts

It's harder to maintain your stuff these days. You could do most work on a shovel with very basic hand tools. Now it's specialty tools. You could run your bike with one wire going to the headlight and maybe a brake light or tail light if you wanted one. Now you need college to work on the electrical. It used to be fun working on my own stuff, now I complain a lot more.

Last edited by Gozzie; 01-03-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?