General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is Harley riding on a decline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Randol
Tourer
Received 128 Likes on 76 Posts

The reasons are varied, some are posted in this thread. This isn't the first time this has happened. You can only sell > than a 1/4 million motorcycles that retail for an average of $15K for so long, before the market gets saturated.

We are not cultivating new generations of gear heads into our society. Younger people don't seem to be interested in this type of thing any more. Go to a car or bike show, you'll see what I mean. Mostly old guys.

The whole Bad-*** image thing put me off from buying my first Harley until I was 53 years old. I didn't want anything to do with the Cliché bullshit they were selling and that I saw acted out daily.

I'm sure there a ton more reasons, it's a complex issue, probably with no single answer.

The following users liked this post:
MIRoadKing65 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,287 Likes on 10,097 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
I do because I'm a millinial and 90% of the people I know are millinials
I bought my first classic car back in 2010 (69 Plymouth) there is a teenager in my town that bought his first street bike a little over a year ago at the age of 19 it's a 2012 sportster
Millinials born in the 80s love that **** because they grew up watching evil knevil and the dukes of hazard and other similar rerun shows with muscle cars and motorcyles
Even my nephew who is 10, his fave car is a 70 charger rt because it is the best car in the fast and furious movies
I dunno man...

Old 01-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 734 Likes on 564 Posts

^^^^ I can see that. Most from 20 to 30 that I know got more in to building computers and techie stuff than vehicles.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Randol
The reasons are varied, some are posted in this thread. This isn't the first time this has happened. You can only sell > than a 1/4 million motorcycles that retail for an average of $15K for so long, before the market gets saturated.

We are not cultivating new generations of gear heads into our society. Younger people don't seem to be interested in this type of thing any more. Go to a car or bike show, you'll see what I mean. Mostly old guys.

The whole Bad-*** image thing put me off from buying my first Harley until I was 53 years old. I didn't want anything to do with the Cliché bullshit they were selling and that I saw acted out daily.

I'm sure there a ton more reasons, it's a complex issue, probably with no single answer.
You are right, watch the auto auctions on TV. Many have reserves that dont get met, that used to never happen.

Vehicles that I think are cool, will probably not be cool to anyone in the future.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,287 Likes on 10,097 Posts

I am going to try "one last " time to make my point. I dont think anyone who is a young adult these days, are into classic cars and or bikes because, they are a constant maintenance headache. A 1969 Roadrunner or ant 1969(fill in the blank) car would require constant maintenance to be a daily driver. A lot more maintenance than a modern vehicle. usually, that maintenance was done by the vehicle owner. In the old days, most men knew the basics of how to keep their car or truck running themselves. That being said, I don't think there is much interest in the old car, old bike thing. I would think that most modern young adults want a maintenance free, well performing vehicle at an affordable price, car or motorcycle. H-D brought the "blacked out" bikes out because who wants to polish and maintain chrome? It takes time when you could be riding. The whole maintenance thing doesn't sell well

Last edited by Super Glidester; 01-02-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:08 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,022 Likes on 9,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac10
It's funny reading this. About a week ago I had noticed I was seeing a lot of younger guys and girls in my area riding Harley's. Most on Sportsers and Dynas all blacked out. But definitely seeing a lot more younger ones on them this year.
Makes you wonder why HD has not improved Sportster model to attrack younger riders and why they discontinued Dynas, especially Low Rider? Why HD discontinued the Dyna Super Glide Custom an 2010 style FXDWG is a mystery to me.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I had an opportunity to talk to several younger riders (under 40) at a Christmas party. When I learned most rode metrics, I asked why not Harley? After the jokes were finished, here's what some had to say.

- Harley doesn't make anything I want.
- They're too expensive.
- They're too slow and heavy.
- None of my friends ride a Harley.

When I mentioned Harley sells bikes priced under 10K (Street), one guy said "That's not a Harley."

Campy Roadie (01-03-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
I am going to try "one last " time to make my point. I dont think anyone who is a young adult these days, are into classic cars and or bikes because, they are a constant maintenance headache. A 1969 Roadrunner or ant 1969(fill in the blank) car would require constant maintenance to be a daily driver. A lot more maintenance than a modern vehicle. usually, that maintenance was done by the vehicle owner. In the old days, most men knew the basics of how to keep their car or truck running themselves. That being said, I don't think there is much interest in the old car, old bike thing. I would think that most modern young adults want a maintenance free, well performing vehicle at an affordable price, car or motorcycle. H-D brought the "blacked out" bikes out because who wants to polish and maintain chrome? It takes time when you could be riding. The whole maintenance thing doesn't sell well
I'm a young adult and garage time is fun time I love restoring old cars and working with metal. To assume all young people are not into this stuff is just stupid. People just want what they want no matter what age or generation they are in. Yeah there are plenty of young folks distracted with tech gadgets but it's not all of them or anywhere close. At least where I live young folks are very active. They build jeeps and 4x4s They go hunting and do all kind of stuff.

Bowhunter8607 (03-12-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 01:05 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
I'm a young adult and garage time is fun time I love restoring old cars and working with metal. To assume all young people are not into this stuff is just stupid. People just want what they want no matter what age or generation they are in. Yeah there are plenty of young folks distracted with tech gadgets but it's not all of them or anywhere close. At least where I live young folks are very active. They build jeeps and 4x4s They go hunting and do all kind of stuff.
I'm with you here (23 myself) however we are definitely not in the majority as far as our age group goes. Part of it is the environment you grew up in. I think a lot of our generation was coddled, given whatever they wanted, and grew up in a "if it's broke, replace it" kind of household. Me? My first car was an '80 Rx7 project car. Re-did all of the suspension/front end components over a weekend in my grandfather's driveway, among other things. My first bike? A salvaged 04 Wide Glide that I learned to wrench on while getting it road-worthy. I love wrenching on my own stuff. While frustrating at times it's always a learning experience, and it's almost therapeutic for me. I was on the back of a Harley as early as three, and all the men in my family rode Harleys, so you could pretty much say it was in my DNA...

Sadly, I'd put money down that most of this "millennial" generation doesn't feel the same way that we do. The hard-work ethic just seems to be lost among most. Glad my parents at least got it right with me...

Last edited by DynaKid94; 01-02-2018 at 01:07 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DynaKid94:
Bowhunter8607 (03-12-2018), LXT (01-08-2018), rhino1250 (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 01:14 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ford13
....18 year old buyers who are new to motorcycles aren't buying CVO road glides
....... wha ?

Quick Reply: Why is Harley riding on a decline?