General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017 | 11:46 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced
Default New rider, bike choice

Hello, all...

Looking for some input. I'm a brand-new rider who finally decided it was time to stop putting off the dream. This weekend I test-rode four bikes: 1200 Custom, Slim, Fat Bob (107), and Heritage Classic (107). After those, I've pretty much eliminated the 1200 Custom and Slim. So, I have two pretty different options remaining. Here's the thing: since I'm brand new at this, I have no history upon which to draw. It's hard to me to truly know how I plan to use my first-ever motorcycle over the next few years. And these bikes seem like they're oriented toward different uses. Hoping to hear some thoughts I haven't already considered.

Old 12-18-2017 | 01:37 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

If you have made up in your mind that you are going to have a Harley, and nothing else will do, then you should get the Heritage classic. The Heritage will be the best "do all bike," between the two choices you have given. Welcome to the Forum from the middle part of Texas. Be sure to come back on and tell us what you decided on.

Last edited by 6 gun; 12-18-2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2017 | 01:40 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Your first bike shouldn't be a twenty thousand dollar eight hundred pound gorilla.

Most people recommend a used mid sized Japanese standard bike to get some experience on and to find out what you like and don't like. Something you can drop or crash without too much of a hit to your wallet.

Your body size and shape is a huge factor regardless and lacking that makes it impossible to make a good recommendation. Usually people start out with a used Honda Shadow VLX or something similar. It's an easy bike to learn and gain some experience on. They ride it for a year or two, sell it for nearly what they paid which wasn't much to begin with then buy what they really want. At that point, the smart thing to do is to rent a different bike each weekend. Consider this money as a good investment instead of making a twenty thousand dollar mistake.

Of the new bikes, I think the low rider is a good value because it has an attractive price and is a blank slate. If I were buying new, I would avoid all the bikes that have the small three point six gallon gas tank. Of the new bikes, I like the Heritage 114 the best because you get a lot for the money although they are more expensive than they used to be. The Sport Glide is another model I like but the price is two or three thousand higher than it should be.

All of this is personal opinion of course. I like my old bike for reasons some people don't understand.

The following 2 users liked this post by Prot:
Carl '69 (12-24-2017), sportglide (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017 | 02:19 AM
LoneWoolf
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LateBloomer67
This weekend I test-rode four bikes: 1200 Custom, Slim, Fat Bob (107), and Heritage Classic (107). After those, I've pretty much eliminated the 1200 Custom and Slim.
What were the factors in your decision to eliminate the Sporty and the Slim?

Old 12-18-2017 | 06:31 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
Your first bike shouldn't be a twenty thousand dollar eight hundred pound gorilla.

Yep. My best advise to a "first time ever motorcyclist" is to develop your skills first and foremost. There is no shortcut to this (other than getting good instructions). You have to learn from seat time and there will be minor mishaps (if you're doing it right).

Get a bike that's light and not so powerful and one where your ONLY concern is developing your skillset and no worries about scratching your paint.

The following 3 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
02603SEC (12-18-2017), sportglide (12-18-2017), SPRINGER (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017 | 06:33 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by LateBloomer67
Hello, all...

Looking for some input. I'm a brand-new rider who finally decided it was time to stop putting off the dream. This weekend I test-rode four bikes: 1200 Custom, Slim, Fat Bob (107), and Heritage Classic (107). After those, I've pretty much eliminated the 1200 Custom and Slim. So, I have two pretty different options remaining. Here's the thing: since I'm brand new at this, I have no history upon which to draw. It's hard to me to truly know how I plan to use my first-ever motorcycle over the next few years. And these bikes seem like they're oriented toward different uses. Hoping to hear some thoughts I haven't already considered.
Between the two I would go for the Heritage as well because you can go bagless and solo seat with no windshield or fully loaded. Wish I could take the bags off my road king sometimes without it looking hideous.

As for your first bike go for it and don't worry about being told you shouldn't. I doubt anyone would've said my first bike being a GSXR1100 at 19 was the ideal starter bike but it was.

Old 12-18-2017 | 07:00 AM
sportglide
Cruiser

The 2018 Sport Glide is a fabulous product - but - buy an old kicker and ride it around for awhile before dropping 20 K.

Old 12-18-2017 | 07:04 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member

Get both!

Old 12-18-2017 | 07:07 AM
Newfie
Cruiser

If you have your mine set on owning a Harley, look around for a used Sportster, they have enough power and weight to give you some idea with handling and riding. Plus should you drop it, your not going to be out of pocket big $$$.

Old 12-18-2017 | 08:03 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Going to get lots of onions.... My wife got her license about two years ago. Never road a bike in her life. Took the HD rider course. She bought a fat boy S. She loves it. Her feet are flat to the ground and the heavy bike is very stable. She loves it but of course is still a little nervous sometimes. The key is to find a bike you love and you can reach the ground easily. Yep heavy as hell, just be careful and don't drop it! Good luck.

Quick Reply: New rider, bike choice