General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018 | 01:22 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member

The only thing I would add is that you may decide you don't like riding motorcycles. It would be a shame to buy a new bike and abandon it after one season. I've always bought used bikes. I am on my 14th street bike. If we were buddies I'd suggest picking up a used 650 cruiser and ride it for a summer.

Secondly, I never have accepted people telling me it's just a matter of time before I go down. *knock on wood* I've been riding on the street since 1975 and have never dropped a bike. I have always been extremely aware of my surroundings and watch every vehicle like a hawk. Sure, I've had close calls but that is all. I check my mirrors about every 30 seconds and it is habit at this point. In my opinion that is a prerequisite if you're going to ride the freeways in SoCal. They are some of the most dangerous I've ever ridden.

I like Sportsters but if I ever got one it would be a 1200 and not the anemic 883.

Old 03-11-2018 | 01:31 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

I'd appreciate an actual example of the "lightweight/disposable" motorcycle... something beyond the quick comment of "UJM". I completed my MSF in late November, got my M1 early December. Been test-riding ever since.

T-CLOCS: Roger. I understand inspections and their importance.
ATGATT: Roger. It's the reason why I'm being equally deliberate about the gear I choose.

Old 03-11-2018 | 01:40 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

"Lightweight/disposable" means a smaller asian cruiser that costs very little to learn on, then sell it for what you've got into it to the next "new rider."

I see you're looking at a Harley for $16,XXX. Don't plan on getting $16K back when you sell it to the next rider. (Unless you're looking for a JD or something totally obsolete.)

Old 03-11-2018 | 01:41 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate

This seems like an easy choice. A street bob, with the caveat that you are going to use spare coin to get into adding an exhaust, tuner (like an fp3), and intake. Instead of spending a lot of money on the more expensive bikes you would then have a budget to do with the bike as you please.

I know for a lot of folk its anathema to think about voiding the warranty...but when you get over that you might find that you really enjoy doing what you please with YOUR bike. The chances are pretty small that you will be a part of a recall and if you are then it's kind of rare that they will tell you that they won't take care of it...unless of course you did some significant work all on your own, such as putting a new cam in yourself.

Personally, if I were buying a softail today I'd give real consideration to get a cost quote on a 114 upgrade or if you like the 114 bikes just going with one of those.

As far as being a new rider, just practice and think serious about the advanced msf course. I grew up on a motorcycle and was forced to take the basic msf course. The instructor I had ended up giving us the advanced course and I honestly learned a lot of things that ended up saving my *** several times and made me a better rider.

Good luck and be sure to ask them to throw in a service manual before you ring the bell.

Old 03-18-2018 | 10:04 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Well, I pulled the trigger on a Forty-Eight Special and took advantage of the current Sportster promotion. Funny, I never, ever thought I'd end up picking this bike. I've always loved the way it looks, but the fit seemed all wrong to me. In the end, the Special's taller bars combined with a super-reach solo seat fixed all the fit problems I was having. Been having a blast ever since.

The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018 | 10:19 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate

Congrats. That is a great bike. Have fun!

Old 03-19-2018 | 08:19 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Congrats! Love the AMF style tank graphics of the "new" Sportsters.

Old 03-19-2018 | 11:20 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior

Didn't happen if you can't show a picture.

Old 03-19-2018 | 11:20 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior

Duplicate post

Last edited by ieatchickens; 03-19-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2018 | 05:22 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by ieatchickens
Didn't happen if you can't show a picture.
You are correct....

The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (03-25-2018)

Quick Reply: New rider, bike choice