General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017 | 07:30 AM
riknbeth
Road Master

Originally Posted by SuperTrapp
If you want a Harley then get a Harley. You won't regret it.
Good advice. My wife having zero experience actually was a good rider on day one on her Fat Boy S. She really did learn how to safely ride a bike, I was impressed having never taken a class for 30 years until I wanted a discount on my insurance.

Old 12-24-2017 | 07:50 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain

How old are you? If 20s 30s... something lighter and faster. If seasoned citizen get larger with more amenities. The starter bike thing is BS. Just be smart and always ride within your comfort level. Taking a riding course is highly recommended. The people that say starter bike are envelope pushers that want to scrape floorboards. I started late and don't need to know the limits of my bike other than accelerating and stopping. I took the harley course. Worth it. So i would say heritage for you if not a street/road glide.

Old 12-24-2017 | 08:46 AM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Well, NADA Guides shows the low retail at $13,200 and average retail at $17,400 (that accounts for the Two-Tone Superior Blue / Brilliant Silver paint). Their asking price is $16,100. I actually saw this bike for the first time about an hour after they took it in on trade three days ago. I've not seen the details of their offer back to me yet; that'll happen just after Christmas. And you're right... I should have probably test-ridden the 2018 model no matter what I read about it just so I'd know for certain (I am certain it's more money, but probably has better financing options).

Old 12-24-2017 | 08:52 AM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by 06Ultraman
How old are you? If 20s 30s... something lighter and faster. If seasoned citizen get larger with more amenities. The starter bike thing is BS. Just be smart and always ride within your comfort level. Taking a riding course is highly recommended. The people that say starter bike are envelope pushers that want to scrape floorboards. I started late and don't need to know the limits of my bike other than accelerating and stopping. I took the harley course. Worth it. So i would say heritage for you if not a street/road glide.
I'm 50 years old. I also took the MSF course with Harley in preparation for getting my CA M1. I test-rode a Heritage Classic, but not a Road Glide.

Old 12-24-2017 | 04:17 PM
mhern08
Cruiser

Get the bike YOU want! Take your time and learn to ride. In a few months you'll be fine and wont have wasted money on something you already outgrew!

Old 12-24-2017 | 04:42 PM
riknbeth
Road Master

Sounds like you are going to make a smart decision. Don’t hesitate to make an offer you are happy with. Remember dealers are trying to make money. I personally like my dealer but I understand they are not my “friend” when I am buying a bike. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2018 | 10:10 AM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Well, due to just life getting in the way, I'm still working on this. However, I think I might take advantage of Harley's current promotion on the Sportsters. I test-rode an 883 and Forty-Eight a couple days ago. Liked the 883, did not like the Forty-Eight. The ability to get back in trade the original price I paid kinda eliminates the problem of getting a bike I know I probably will not keep because I'll "grow out of it". Plus, I've been rolling back my ambitions regarding the price of a first bike, so the 883 again makes more sense. Here's a question, though: my salesperson actually owns an 883 (although I don't think he's had it long) and tells me that he finds CA freeways a bit daunting because of the front wheel's tendency to "hunt", following the rain grooves. I guess the fact that the bike is lighter with lighter steering plays a role. In thinking about usage, it finally hit me that I have a weekly trip I do early on Saturday mornings that involves 7-8 miles of said freeways, which I will eventually want to start taking the bike to. Now, as a new rider, I'd planned to work my way up to different things and not try to do everything at once. But what is the experience of other 883 owners? I like the bike, but I don't want to feel like I just committed to an "in-town" bike. If that's really a limitation, I might just grab that used '17 Fat Boy I've had my eye on.

Old 03-11-2018 | 12:01 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LateBloomer67
Liked the 883.... I know I probably will not keep because I'll "grow out of it". my salesperson actually owns an 883 (although I don't think he's had it long) and tells me that he finds CA freeways a bit daunting because of the front wheel's tendency to "hunt", following the rain grooves.
You have no experience on motorcycles, yet you are expecting to "grow out of it". How do you know this? Have you ever ridden an 883, or any motorcycle? Not in a class setting, but real world experience?

I understand the "hunt", following the rain grooves. Not on my 883, but on my metrics over the years. In fact the lack of the 'hunting' on my 883 was a welcome change. I have always attributed it to the ribbed front tires on my metrics as opposed to the tire design on my Harley.

Perhaps your 'salesperson' has a similar problem? Or perhaps he is trying to sell you a bigger scooter?

Last edited by rjg883c; 03-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2018 | 01:11 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

I should restate: I realize I might not keep it. Then again, I might. I might find it's the perfect thing to tinker with and wrench on because it's the "modifier's dream" (Revzilla) and I'd get to re-live the days when I tore apart mechanical things and put them back together differently. It might be the only bike I ever buy. It might be the first of many. Like I said, it's a first bike (I discussed my experience - or lack thereof - and what I thought I was looking for earlier in the thread). It's true, I do not have a big pile of real-world experience to draw upon. So far, just about a hundred miles of test rides, all on Harleys. I have test-ridden the following bikes to date:

- Street 500 (used during my MSF course)
- Iron 883
- Forty-Eight
- 1200 Custom
- Slim ('18) and Slim S ('17, with 110 SE engine)
- Fat Boy ('17 and '18)
- '18 Fat Bob (both 107 and 114)
- '18 Heritage Classic 107
- '18 Street Bob
- '18 Road King Special
- '18 Low Rider
- '18 Sport Glide

I am 50 years old, career ex-military, so I know a thing or two about being safety-conscious (I do realize I will probably still drop it at some point; already factored in). My salesperson seems pretty fine with selling me the bike that turns out to be the all-around best fit as a first motorcycle. He's actually the one that first brought the current promotion to my attention. I'm perfectly capably of up-selling myself without his help (for example, I really would prefer a first bike to have ABS; try finding a Sportster on a showroom floor that already has it). Anyway, to hear that you did not experience the "hunting" that he has with the 883 is what I was looking for. I am understandably curious whether his experience is the exception or the rule with that model. Could just be because he has not ridden it enough yet.

Old 03-11-2018 | 01:21 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Deleted post

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 03-11-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: repetitive

Quick Reply: New rider, bike choice