General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017 | 12:10 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Ok, that helps to know where you're at with riding. Couple different stages of "new rider" and the very first one tends to not want to take a safety course and wants to ride something that hits 100mph in 2 seconds.

But that's not the case here. Most the information you come across for a new rider will be tuned to a teenager looking to do fat wheelies on his way to a tinder hook up and being upset his hat keeps flying off when he rides with it on sideways.

My guess is you're responsible and looking to just enjoy what makes a Harley fun.

The problem is without haven ridden much it's difficult to help figure out what bike would best work for you. You can modify Harleys considerably, so things like the suspension, seat, pegs, handlebars, these are all easy to swap later on to something that better suits your needs. Yes, you can tour on a Sportster, and 2 up, but it might not be as comfortable as a Street Glide. And you can ride a Street Glide hard but it might not be as sporty as a Sportster.

At this point I think the best answer I can give is you're going to need to test ride more of them. Check them all out. They might share a frame but they can be vastly different in how they feel and ride. Treat every version of the bike as a new one, a Lowrider S is a completely different beast than a standard pre-'18 Lowrider, or a 2018 Lowrider. The names make it confusing, especially since they just changed over the Dyna models to the new Softail frame.

And do check out the Dynas, they are great bikes. They just moved the line over to the new frame. A 2017 Lowrider might be the exact bike you're looking for, or an '18 might work better. It's hard to tell without riding them. Ride them all, ride them again. See what sticks, see what you like and don't like. The more you know the more help a forum can be. Focus on what is comfortable and what isn't. Which bike is making you smile?

And do remember things are easy to swap on a Harley, if you don't like the position of the pegs on a bike they are one of the most common things changed. See if they have a model that has the pegs relocated before ruling out the whole bike.

Don't worry if it takes a while to figure out. I hung around my dealer for 6 months before deciding.

Old 12-18-2017 | 12:22 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Prot
Your first bike shouldn't be a twenty thousand dollar eight hundred pound gorilla.

Most people recommend a used mid sized Japanese standard bike to get some experience on and to find out what you like and don't like. Something you can drop or crash without too much of a hit to your wallet.

Your body size and shape is a huge factor regardless and lacking that makes it impossible to make a good recommendation. Usually people start out with a used Honda Shadow VLX or something similar. It's an easy bike to learn and gain some experience on. They ride it for a year or two, sell it for nearly what they paid which wasn't much to begin with then buy what they really want. At that point, the smart thing to do is to rent a different bike each weekend. Consider this money as a good investment instead of making a twenty thousand dollar mistake.

Couldn't have said it better, myself!

Old 12-18-2017 | 12:23 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

I'm all for more test rides. I'd originally planned to make this purchase around the beginning of March, so if I stick with that I'll certainly have time to sort it all out. I am definitely not the sort of new rider you first described. Perhaps when I was 18... but then I probably wouldn't be here to talk about it.

Biggest thing really is enjoyment and the challenge of doing something new that I've wanted to do for a very long time. Life is finally giving me the opportunity. So far (and this outcome surprised me), if I totally ignore the usage question and look solely at the bike I most enjoyed riding, it was the 2018 Fat Bob. I have also been hanging around the dealership for a while; starting to know everyone. I've also looked at Indian (but no test rides) and some 650cc naked bikes like the SV650 (again, no test rides).

I've been told that even though the SV650 is a popular starter bike (among other things) it is still a light, quick bike that I'd have to mind the throttle on. I thought riding the Fat Bob would be like that, and I found the bike completely unintimidating in that regard. The only thing that I realized would take a bit of getting used to was the more forward foot position. Thought that would keep me away, but after riding it I was nearly used to it by the end.

That's a good point. I'll have to look around to see who does rentals near me.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-19-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-18-2017 | 12:29 PM
17streetglide
Novice

I started riding 2 years ago, bought a used 2012 sporty 1200C, modified to my liking and rode the crap out of it for 2 years. I was new to riding a street bike and never took a course, watched a butt load of youtube videos. MC RIDER and RIDE LIKE A PRO helped a lot. got the basics covered then swung a leg over and hit the road, and I rode and rode and rode. the sporty 1200c is an awesome and fun bike to ride but, at my age comfort is a key factor and I found that I could only ride for about 2 hours and I was done. my sporty was also set up for solo rider only so I couldn't take the wife or anybody along on a ride. so after riding for two summers and getting a handle on things, I thought and thought about what I wanted out of a bike.. number one priority COMFORT ! number two, being able to take the wife, number three storage, number four being able to ride more than two hours, number five something the wife and I could take a long trip on, number six A FREAKING GAS GAUGE !! so, after thinking every thing through I decided on what I wanted and what would best suit my needs and back in October I pulled the trigger and bought my first brand new HD, a 17 street glide. I love it and the wife loves it. bought it two months ago and its just about ready for its first 1000 mile service. My advice to a first time bike buyer, do some research and consider all things that you need out of a bike now and future needs. if I was going to start all over I think I would still start in the used bike market and find me a nice Dyna , not too big but not too small either.......Oh and by the way, I now have my full MC endorsement, its pretty easy to pass in Mo

Last edited by 17streetglide; 12-18-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 12-18-2017 | 12:50 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

I've put down thousands of miles on an SV650, if you were comfortable on the FatBob you'd find the SV small and under powered. A fun bike for certain, but there is a reason it's a good starter bike and not one you have to grow into. I'd still recommend an SV650 to anyone though, fun and bulletproof, and cheap. Heck you could probably get one right now for $1500, ride it for the next few months then sell it for what you bought it for and get a new Harley. Mine was traded for more than I bought it for.

The '18 Fatbob would be a top choice if I was buying new right now, especially with the 114. The other bike would be a '17 Lowrider S. Which is what I bought last year. It be a lot of bike to start on but since it's by far the most fun I've ever had on a bike, I can't help but bring it up. Plus lots of options to change it up for your riding style being a Dyna. The only downside to a '18 Fatbob right now is there isn't much after market for it just yet since it's brand spank'n new.

(and do watch that with your researching, a 2018 FatBob is a completely different bike than a 2017 Fatbob)

I think you're on the right track though. Test ride, mull it over, test ride some more. You can't really go wrong here, just "more right".

Old 12-18-2017 | 12:54 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome

and do watch that with your researching, a 2018 FatBob is a completely different bike than a 2017 Fatbob
Agreed. I sat on the 2017 Fat Bob and could not comfortably reach the brake pedal at all because the air cleaner/intake pushed my right knee out too far.

Last edited by LateBloomer67; 12-18-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2017 | 06:41 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior

I have owned motorcycles for over 42 years not all Harley's but I believe all motorcycle riders want one at some point in their riding career. That being said I look at making large purchases this way "you know it when you see it" if you want a Harley go get one if you don't like it and have to sell it at a loss so be it. If you live it and decide to go bigger then you have been bitten by the bug my friend. Life is too short to second guess yourself. Come on run with us big dogs or stay on the porch

Old 12-18-2017 | 10:44 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

I bought my first street bike brand new, a 98 Dyna Wide Glide, 18k OTD. I had dirt bikes growing up and rode Friends street bikes, mostly metrics, but never felt the need to buy one....until now. If I like riding as much as I like looking at the new 18 CB1000R, I'm buying one when the hit the states in the summer, mind you I'm 50 now. I am also 6' 250lbs so learning to ride a 800lb bike was not so bad, at you're size, with no riding background, I think I would probably have started learning on something more like the CB. I know, you want a Harley, I could not see never owning one and none of us would dream of talking you out of it. As seasoned riders when we say start on something smaller/cheaper, it is only out of concern for you're safety. Nobody at the dealership will ever say this, but riding is dangerous, you already know this. Just be safe.

The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (12-19-2017)
Old 12-18-2017 | 11:08 PM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Yes... trying to remain objective as I work through this decision. It is hard; riding is emotion. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be interested.

Old 12-19-2017 | 12:10 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Go to a dealership and see which one looks good, that fits you the best and then buy it. After all, it's your choice and I can't and won't tell you which one to get because everybody has their own preference on which one feels and looks the best to them and that they can afford. Good luck.

Quick Reply: New rider, bike choice