General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider, bike choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017 | 08:17 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior

My opinion!!!! If it has to be a Harley the Heritage would be a great bike. Make sure it has crash bars on it. Sportsters, 1200's ??
The only way to learn to ride is by riding Don't dress to look like a biker. But dress for the crash
Nothing wrong with starting out on a Honda or Yamaha as long as your riding Be safe

Old 12-18-2017 | 08:42 AM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Well, let's see.... lots of great responses. Let me see how many I can address.

I've actually looked around at other bikes, especially since I do not have any background to draw on. I've checked out Indians, as well as the SV650 / FZ-07 / Z650 bikes as lighter starter bikes (recommended to me by another late bloomer at a BMW motorcycle dealership), and a couple ADV-type bikes. Harleys have just always appealed to me and they're the only ones I've test ridden so far. I also briefly looked at the new Honda Rebels as a starter bike based on the great reviews the new model seems to be getting. I've had as many people tell me "start small / start used / start cheap" as "get what you want / like / etc". I see good points on both sides. If I go used, I think I'd still go through a dealer just to avoid a higher likelihood of hidden complications. I don't want to have to spend all my time wrenching on a bike instead of riding it.

I (mostly) eliminated the 1200 Custom just in contrast to the Fat Bob. In comparison, the ride felt rougher to me over smooth pavement; it felt like the suspension yielded just fine to bigger hits (although I did not test this on any potholes), but less so to small imperfections. If I ultimately just decide to spend less money, then it might still be on the list. The Slim, however, I eliminated because the shifter was so far forward I had to fully extend my leg to get under it. The Heritage was better in this regard; shortening the lever by an inch or so would've made it perfect. Reaching so far for it on the Slim freaked me out. It's the only test ride I cut short.

If I find the right used bike (whatever it is, it has to make me want to ride it), I will likely go that way, and I do plan to look at other brands / types in the interest of being thorough.

Old 12-18-2017 | 08:50 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by LateBloomer67
Hello, all... Hoping to hear some thoughts I haven't already considered.

Buy used.

a) Better to drop a $8,000 bike than a $22,000 bike. Maybe biking isn't for you

b) Better to buy a cheap bike now, later figure out what you really want. Depreciation is a killer

Old 12-18-2017 | 09:11 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LateBloomer67
Hoping to hear some thoughts I haven't already considered.
Your location is Southern California. That can mean a very diverse area in which to 'learn' to ride a motorcycle. The reason some people are suggesting a smaller scooter to learn on has nothing to do with the ability to pick it up if it falls over. I was born in Burbank, still have family in 'southern California' and am down there occasionally. Learning to ride in that traffic would be difficult enough, it would be 'less forgiving' on a larger, heavier, scooter. Even worse if you are not physically equipped.

Always remember that riding, especially in the 'learning stage', a motorcycle doesn't allow for too many mistakes. The first, seemingly minor, mistake on a scooter can adversely affect the rest of your life. Don't be in too much of a hurry, you probably have many years left in which to develop skills to ride. And as someone else posted, and I usually also do in these threads, not everyone 'likes' riding a motorcycle. Especially in high traffic areas.

I have seen several new riders, after a few close calls, decide riding a motorcycle is not what they expected/want and sold their scooters. This would be far cheaper lesson on a used metric then a new Harley. Some other, even more unlucky, riders suffer more then economic damage.

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-18-2017 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017 | 09:28 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

I would buy used on my first bike like a lot of others have said 8000 and even cheaper is better the 22,000.Make sure your going like the ride if not you lose a lot of money once you ride it of the lot, i to have seen many who didn’t like if after a few close calls and even dropping them hurting them self’s . There are so many nice deals out there on the used motorcycle market Good luck.

Old 12-18-2017 | 10:23 AM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master

Issues with having your first bike be new:

1) Money.

If money is not an issue, then feel free to buy new.

But why no one recommends new for a first bike:

1)You don't know what type of riding you're going to want to do, takes about 10,000 miles to discover this.

2)New is an investment, if you find you don't like it you're going to loose thousands just to be rid of it.

3) Dropping a bike is a right of passage, dropping a Harley is expensive.

4) Harley's are heavy, they require more skill to maneuver slow or pickup if dropped.

With that being said, you can learn to ride on a Harley. Take the MSF course, it's worth it's weight in solid gold. Seriously. You'll learn how to ride without developing bad habits and also discover if riding is for you. Sure beats knowing that before you drop $20k on a motorcycle.

Other than the expense and the weight of the bike, there is also the torque. Harleys have instant torque, it's what makes them fun, but torque is also what will jerk the bike out from you if you're not prepared for it. Remember the MSF? Yep, it's one of the reasons to take it.

Think of the bike like a dog. Yes you can control it when you're going for a slow walk but what happens when the dog decides to chase a cat? Can you hold him back or are you along for the ride? Or in the case of a Harley, what if that dog sits on you, will you be able to move him? Unsure? Take the MSF.

This time of year you can get good deals on a used bike, no one is buying. Be even better in a month. You can buy used from a dealer but if you buy from an individual you can always have a mechanic check it out before you buy it.

Also, don't forget to budget for gear.

Those are the risks. For the fourth time for a good reason, take the MSF course and learn a bit more about what type of rider you are. When you're done and you're still excited about it, well, that's our advise but in the end it's your money and your problem.

And honestly, I think you'd be fine starting on one.

...If you take the MSF course

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017 | 11:14 AM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

Ah... I guess I should have mentioned that I took the MSF course on my way to getting the CA M1 endorsement. I took it at Riverside Harley-Davidson. We rode the Street 500's. I did not like the shifter on that bike at all.

Last edited by LateBloomer67; 12-18-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-18-2017 | 11:26 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm going to go a bit against the grain here. If you're sure you want a Harley, but you aren't sure how you intend to use it, that's fine. Are you planning to ride 1 up or 2? Touring or around town? Planning to mod it? Your basic dimensions? Height specifically.

Regardless the answer to most any of the above questions, a Road King is the answer. A slightly heavier bike, but one with more lean angle than any other on the touring chassis. Easily stripped down from tourer to bar hopper in just a few minutes. Comfortable.

Old 12-18-2017 | 11:42 AM
LateBloomer67
|
Advanced

I only plan to ride 1 up for the first year. Around town at first, steadily increasing radius with my comfort level. Not a lot of mod plans apart from those to dial in the fit. I'm 5'8" with about a 32" inseam.

Old 12-18-2017 | 11:48 AM
krielly66
Tourer

Made a classic first bike mistake. Like you, I was a new rider this summer (also took the MSF course through my local Harley dealer). Because I am no spring chicken anymore, and could afford it, I purchased my "keeper bike" (ha ha!!). A 2017 Softail Deluxe. Put 2500 miles on her and she was a great bike. However......

I feel like my heart was ALWAYS set on a touring bike. I just didn't think I would ever be able to handle such a big heavy bike. Fortunately, I've got a long inseam and after a few months of riding this summer and test driving a new 2018 Road King, I was hooked!

So............took a big big big depreciation hit, but I've let it go. It is what it is. But I am soooooooooooooo in love with this girl!

I guess the moral of my story is two-fold.

1. Your tastes/preferences will likely change as your skill improves
2. Sometimes a life lesson can be expensive, but if you are ok with the end result........screw it! Let it go

Good luck in whatever you decide

Quick Reply: New rider, bike choice