General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One of the most comfortable mods I have ever made

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 05:03 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
After giving this question a lot of thought It came to a tie, between putting on Heritage handle bars and removing the heel shifter and cutting off the shaft where the heel shifter went.
I am not clear by what you posted which direction you went but why cut the shift shaft off? I take the heel shifter off my bikes first thing and just add a decorative cap to cover the shaft. You can get them from HD for I forget how much but I have bought them from ebay for about $10.00.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:27 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
I am not clear by what you posted which direction you went but why cut the shift shaft off? I take the heel shifter off my bikes first thing and just add a decorative cap to cover the shaft. You can get them from HD for I forget how much but I have bought them from ebay for about $10.00.
After I removed the heel shifter I marked the shaft then removed the toe shifter, and the shifter arm and slid the shaft out. I then took the shaft to my friends machine shop and and cut and faced off the shaft, and reassembled. The reason for this was two fold (1) it got rid of the heel shifter and (2) it gave me just that much more room on my floorboard. I'll promise you one thing for sure, if I ever have another bike with a heel shifter, it will get the same treatment.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:20 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
After I removed the heel shifter I marked the shaft then removed the toe shifter, and the shifter arm and slid the shaft out. I then took the shaft to my friends machine shop and and cut and faced off the shaft, and reassembled. The reason for this was two fold (1) it got rid of the heel shifter and (2) it gave me just that much more room on my floorboard. I'll promise you one thing for sure, if I ever have another bike with a heel shifter, it will get the same treatment.
instead of doing that, why not use a spacer to move your shifter lever out 3/4''? you still have the extra room on your floorboard, but by moving the lever out, you don't have to turn your foot in as much to shift.

i have one that was made by a guy here on this forum. he only sold a few, then quit making them. but yaffee sells them now as well. http://baggernation.com/item.php?iid=111

but if you've a friend with a machine shop, you could probably fab up one of your own... (yes, i'm jealous )

Old 12-24-2017, 12:28 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Well to be honest it is just a matter of personal taste I still think it looks the best to me to look like my bike never had a heel shifter. Collars, washers, and or caps would look to me like I was trying to hide something, and as any one can see, I'm trying to keep my Road King down to it's simplest form. I mean no offense whatsoever to any one that wishes to keep their heel shifter and shaft. LOL you could say that I'm trying to have a Dyna King or a Road Dyna

Old 12-24-2017, 12:51 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Managed to get these on today. Posting this pic to further put the size into perspective vs stock footboards in case any are on the fence about this. Still feel pretty crappy and the weather is less than ideal or I would take a ride just to get a good feel for them on this bike. But I have had them on the Road King for a number of years now so pretty much know what to expect.

I will probably get matching shift peg and rear brake to match down the road but will no doubt add a rear brake lever extension as well.

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 12-24-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Oh yeah...