General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"So, what's it like riding in the wind?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 18,278 Likes on 10,093 Posts

How bout riding on the wind...

Old 12-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

I had a blast of wind hit me once, on a big ol' Goldwing, on a bridge, over the Hoover Dam...

Closest I've ever came to shitting myself on the bike. Wife was literally sobbing when I pulled over after the bridge. Took forever to calm her down, especially after I told her that's the only way back to Vegas without a 4hr trip around.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Cholo
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
So today we are getting some pretty good wind here, at least for So. Cal. (maybe 20-30 mph gusts), and as I was leaving work today there are always a couple of guys sitting outside my building having a cigarette break. As I was taking off/putting away my bike cover and loading up my saddlebags one of the guys asks the question (in the thread title). I scratched my head for a minute giving him a puzzled look and said "I'm always riding in the wind. That's the whole point!" He gave me an even more puzzled look. He clearly didn't get it. I then told him..."Well if I'm doing 70 and I have a 30 MPH head wind then it's like riding into a 100 MPH wind." Then he smiled and I think he got it.

I just thought is was kinda' funny how folks that don't or have never ridden don't really have a clue.
Cool story bro, you're definitely one of the biggest badasses on this site.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Jim electa glide
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advise Wyotana stay to the side of the lane wind is coming from. It can be a quick exit to the left or right, not fun but when you get to a bigger bridge it gets even crazier. On highway if you don't mind stay on the side of a trucker they will block the wind a little it helps.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Riding in the wind sucks!, I mean, it blows! I mean, it sucks when it blows, yea, that's it.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:08 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

I have always enjoyed riding windy days.
Early spring here, the wind blows hard and cold air is cutting, but I enjoy it.
Fall isn't as enjoyable because of leaf trash getting in my eyes, but I still do it.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,879 Likes on 11,605 Posts

Had to ride to Beaumont today. Took the RoadKing. Was on the 10 Freeway dong about 80 with about 45MPH crosswinds. She was amazingly stable.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:03 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 985 Likes on 552 Posts

couple years ago I read a story about a guy on a motorcycle getting blown off the James River Bridge in Virginia. Think he died.

That is a little intense for me...........

Old 12-10-2017, 03:49 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Conscious Countersteering is a valuable tool for riding in a strong crosswind. Just press on the handle bar to counter the effects (Press left, go left, Press Right, go right). Shifting down a gear will help also, especially in a head wind. I live in SW Mn, which, at the base of the Buffalo Ridge (the dividing line between the Missouri and Mississippi River watersheds) the wind never quits blowing. We are home to one of the world's largest wind farms, with towers being erected daily. If we waited for a windless day to go riding, we would never take our bikes out of the garage.

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I had a blast of wind hit me once, on a big ol' Goldwing, on a bridge, over the Hoover Dam...

Closest I've ever came to shitting myself on the bike. Wife was literally sobbing when I pulled over after the bridge. Took forever to calm her down, especially after I told her that's the only way back to Vegas without a 4hr trip around.
My lady and I, on the way to Sturgis, were coming from the north into Chamberlain, SD, following the end of a thunderstorm that stranded us for several hours. We came up out of a valley, and hit a wind on a curve that blew us completely across the road into the other lane. If there had been opposing traffic, I wouldn't be here typing this. Scared the bejesus out of both of us!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-10-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:42 AM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I live in the open prairies, if I avoided windy days I would hardly ride. I have found the Road King to be the best bike I have had so far in terms of holding the road in a cross wind. I still hate when it's a strong left to right cross wind and a semi comes by in the opposite direction, really gives you a blast. Once I hit a little twister, you know those ones that can develop on hot days. It was like a strong cross wind in one direction and then the other all within 3 seconds. That wasn't fun.