General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"So, what's it like riding in the wind?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,750 Likes on 3,110 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio

I just thought is was kinda' funny how folks that don't or have never ridden don't really have a clue.
Thread/

Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM
medicmike
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Try rollin in wind - where Ya have to lean 30 - to nearly 45 degrees just to maintain a relatively straight line

Or on a 4 lane, where you're in the 1 position - of the left (inside) lane..., next blink on an eye, you're in position 2 or 3 - of the right (outside) lane

It pure pucker factor - and not a damn bit fun

Ghost
I know the wind can be a real danger for anyone riding. Can't see it coming or may have any idea until you are leaning all you can and the bike is still going where you DON'T want to go. Couple years ago I had that experience. Riding with the wind calm as we took of that morning. Was a couple hours from home and started back, along the way all the things you all have been talking about. Wind would blow like crazy and it was all you could do fight with it as it moves you across the lane and you are at the mercy of it. Suddenly it stops briefly and you're fighting again to stay out of oncoming traffic. When you are leaning all you can, your floorboards give you that "hay dude that's all there is" noise every now and then and you're moving across the lane and you exit the road, literally blown off the road. I ended up in a fresh plowed damp field, thank goodness I had everything possible on my body that day including a DOT and Snell rated helmet. I survived, bike didn't. I hope that never happens again because it did hurt lika a @!& of a #%@!%. In my 60s and after riding since I was a kid only time (i hope) I ever seen wind like that. I decided to try 1 more tire on the road after that. I don't have to carry vice grips for my drawers. Could not imagine wind blowing a semi like that. I will stay home or somewhere from now on in wind like that.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Bruce 140.6
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I decided to bring the cage today due to the wind advisory...

Fighting the wind gust just to stay in your lane position is one thing, but the added obstacles flying all over the road is another, especially with all the construction on the 5 near LA.

Noticed branches and debris blowing around most of the ride in around on the 5 between Irvine and Anaheim around 5am, but once I got closure to LA seems like the gust died down.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,902 Likes on 19,364 Posts

Pretty breezy here today ... in fact they closed the Mackinaw Bridge this morning :>(

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ackinac-bridge

Old 12-05-2017, 11:39 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,750 Likes on 3,110 Posts

Yes, wind doth sucketh mightily when on a single track contrivance. Best thing to do is reduce speed and try to relax. Sometimes, this isn’t easy....

Old 12-05-2017, 01:28 PM
BFREE
Grand HDF Member
Received 231 Likes on 177 Posts

Heavy cross winds really suck. I heard they are even worse with disc wheels.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:22 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Had a similar experience several yrs ago on my RG. That thing is just a big sail in strong crosswinds.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Try rollin in wind - where Ya have to lean 30 - to nearly 45 degrees just to maintain a relatively straight line

Or on a 4 lane, where you're in the 1 position - of the left (inside) lane..., next blink on an eye, you're in position 2 or 3 - of the right (outside) lane

It pure pucker factor - and not a damn bit fun

Ghost
Totally agree. We get winds like that thru the passes in Palm Springs - absolute nightmare. The real fun is when you're leaning in to what seems like a constant crosswind and all of a sudden it abates. Not enjoyable at all and exhausting.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:25 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I’ve rode in some pretty strong wind, with no problem, on my Road King. I only worry about branches falling on me.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:39 AM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Where I live we like to joke that if the wind is under 35mph, its a breeze. In the last week or two we had a recorded gust of just above 95mph, no joke. Makes riding a pain in the *** sometimes, the gusts are the worst, but you learn to adapt. Ride closer to whichever side of the road the wind is blowing from, learn to anticipate the wind stopping as you pass a semi or drop into a valley etc.

The nice thing is when we encounter wind on road trips with guys not from the area, we always have a much easier time with it than they do.

Quick Reply: "So, what's it like riding in the wind?"