General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"So, what's it like riding in the wind?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
We have a local stretch of I-5 that's infamous for it's cross winds, flip's semi's a couple times a year. You check the wind advisory before riding it.

I've blown across 3 lanes before, takes vise grips to get your shorts back from your *******.
I've had more than a few sphincter moments like that.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:58 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
When I think about riding in the wind the two words that always comes to mind is,
"It Sucks."
"It blows"...

Old 12-05-2017, 06:35 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Try rollin in wind - where Ya have to lean 30 - to nearly 45 degrees just to maintain a relatively straight line
Ghost
Reminds me of my time living in Wyoming.
Made for some interesting riding, especially on the lighter (non American bikes) we could afford back them.
We used to joke about being able to count the days the wind did not blow on one hand... but it was not far from the truth.

I did like your explanation

Last edited by GRWHD; 12-05-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:42 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
"It blows"...
Yeah it dose that as well, big time. It always seams like the wind is blowing the side of the bike and you have the bike leaned halfway over just to hold it on the road, then all of a sudden you get a split second that the wind stops blowing and it seams to "suck" you into another direction you don't want to go.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:46 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
We have a local stretch of I-5 that's infamous for it's cross winds, flip's semi's a couple times a year. You check the wind advisory before riding it.

I've blown across 3 lanes before, takes vise grips to get your shorts back from your *******.
Try Vasco Road from Livermore to Brentwood.... through the giant windmills. That's my commute route

One of the most impressive displays of motorcycle riding I've ever seen...

For those not from around here the above mentioned road is one of the worst anywhere at times for crosswinds. A couple of years ago on my morning commute I happened to be the first guy behind a funeral procession for a police officer.... the motorcade was taking the family to the funeral. In front and behind there were 4 motor officers, 2 rows of 2. Also one outrider that would block intersections. This section of road at that time was one lane each direction with 60-70 mph oncoming traffic.

As we approached that section of road I kept waiting for them to break off into single file lines. Waiting, waiting. I was getting beat up by the wind pretty bad. I figured they just didn't know what was coming. I could picture 4 motor cops getting run over in a police funeral procession.

But they never did. Side by side, exactly in step, never wavered through the whole thing. Something I'll never forget.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Cross winds will make you stay on your A game for sure

Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Anyone ever find themselves cussing at the wind, like it's going to do any good.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes, wind sucks.
But what sucks more is when it very windy AND raining! each rain drop feels like you are getting hit with a BB pellet gun. I've ridden in this type of weather before a number of times and by the time you get off the bike you are sore, cold and feeling miserable.

But then, you can't wait to get back on and put on a few more miles on that bike ;o)

Old 12-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

I-80 in Wyoming East or West bound outside of Rawlins at 90mph with side winds that can push you from one fog line to the other in a second.

The following users liked this post:
cficole (12-07-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:35 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
When I think about riding in the wind the two words that always comes to mind is,
"It Sucks."
This. Especially being caught off guard. On a ride a few weeks ago we had a slow moving front headed our way. Snuck a quick ride in only to get blasted by the “slow moving front” about 50 miles from home. Huge pucker factor and white knuckles all the way home.

Quick Reply: "So, what's it like riding in the wind?"