General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautiful Day in Central Fresno County

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Nice pictures, Mike. That tire is as far down as the first tire I need to replace on my Ultra. I had a Vulcan 750 and would get about 12k on rear tire so I wasn't checking my Ultra at 6k. I was riding in a light rain, and some old guy turned into my side of the road. I applied my brakes lightly and skidded all over. When I checked my tire I was shocked to see how bald it was.

We are having an Indian Summer here in Wisconsin. Which isn't unusual. What is unusual is there isn't much salt on the roads so it's OK for riding. But I already cover my bike up in the back of the garage. If this keeps up, I am going to have to change my storage strategy.
Thanks Ron!

Here in Central California, where the real fruits and nuts actually grow on trees instead of walking around, we can ride nearly year round. In late december and early january, we typically get an inversion layer that traps wet clouds down in the lower elevations of the valley. It's like being wrapped in an ice cold wet blanket!

On the tire, I'm not gonna push it too much farther. I have the tubeless spoked rims, and I'm just waiting for the special rim liner liner to arrive. It's an HD only piece. My local indy where I get tires from doesn't have a different supplier. The only downside of spoked tubeless.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 AM
jkghdrider
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like ya had a nice ride Mike, thanks for sharing! Never been to Cali but sure would like to get there someday? Looks likes some great scenery & riding...

Ron750: Is that the Merrimac Ferry in your pic? If so, I get on it at least once-twice a yr myself...

Old 12-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by jkghdrider
Looks like ya had a nice ride Mike, thanks for sharing! Never been to Cali but sure would like to get there someday? Looks likes some great scenery & riding...

Ron750: Is that the Merrimac Ferry in your pic? If so, I get on it at least once-twice a yr myself...

You Betcha. My kids used to live in Madison. I used to take the ferry several times a year. Now they moved away, so now I don't use it as much. It's fun, scenic, and free. Can't beat that.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by jkghdrider
Hope you can make it someday. It has it's good points and bad.

When you come, simply avoid the high density population centers (SF, LA and SD) and corresponding traffic. The only thing on the western side of the state that is worthy of riding is the PCH. All the other good riding is east of 101, I-5 and Hwy99. Mountain roads too numerous to count. The good thing is, you can get just about anywhere in California without getting on an interstate or major highway. It takes longer, but when we're riding, are we in a hurry to get anywhere in particular? Occasionally, yes. But not often

Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Have been that area Pine flat

Went there friends have place on lake had a flat bottom v drive used there. Went on one ride awhile back up into Sierras Mt. Rose summit around incline some was nice day and into the snow some. May have to bring bikes down that way still have people know there. Ride safe Wild Bill

Last edited by Hurricane 68; 09-29-2018 at 10:04 PM.