General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leave battery tender plugged in all winter..or give it a break once in awhile?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 12:04 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Peoples "habits" on how they use the maintainers and "what's worked for them" might be interesting, but it doesn't really provide any factual basis for what the device does and how to use it properly.

I posted this article in another thread...

http://archives.wingworldmag.com/aug...e/battery.html

Now the article is a little dated. Without other information, one can only guess as to what each individual brand is currently doing for their charging/maintaining techniques/methods. For example, has Deltran/Battery Tender updated their wares? Or are they still doing things the way they used too? Who knows...

As noted in a previous reply, and in this article, sulfation is a concern. With all the maintainers in the article - except the Yuasa - I might consider disconnecting the maintainer every 60 days to exercise the battery (and prevent sulfation) as noted. The Yuasa being the exception because it not only pulses the current during float mode, it automatically shuts down and restarts the charge cycle every 28 days to prevent sulfation. Based on this article, The Deltran/Battery Tender is the only unit that I might take a pass on.
so I guess I'm good and worry-free to leave it plugged in for the winter as I have and am using this one on a new Yuasa GYZ32HL battery

http://www.batterymart.com/p-yua1201...a-charger.html

Last edited by Buckinfitch; 11-29-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

CTEK units have "desulfation mode" on their charger/tenders.

Last edited by Sierra977; 11-29-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

plugged in all the time !

Old 11-29-2017, 01:41 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
so I guess I'm good and worry-free to leave it plugged in for the winter as I have and am using this one on a new Yuasa GYZ32HL battery

http://www.batterymart.com/p-yua1201...a-charger.html

Perhaps... The article did note that the 900mA model's (presumably similar or the same) features discourage sulfation and exercise the battery as well. Discouraging sulfation is presumably accomplished - in part - by the pulsed charging mode and the high frequency spikes/pulses in the float/maintenance mode. Exercising presumably occurs due the on again, off again (between it's two float voltages) float cycle.

Me personally, I might try to mimic the behavior of the bigger Yuasa (removing the maintainer periodically) just for good measure.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,303 Likes on 6,745 Posts

The battery tender is always plugged into the bike while the bike is garaged.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:34 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
CTEK units have “desulfation mode” on their charger/tenders.
Funny you mention the CTEK units. Another article I came across...

http://www.impactbattery.com/blog/20...-do-they-work/

They state...

Some people, in the forum post that prompted this article, suggested users should use a CTEK 3300 to satisfy their sulphation needs. We do not think the CTEK charger lives up to its claim and feel it should be avoided if desulfation is your goal. In fact several years ago [November 2010] when we noticed batteries did not seem to respond, we contacted Borje the president of CTEK and he agreed to purchase a XC100-P Pulse Tech charger to do a comparative analysis. After some dialogue we never heard back from Borje or CTEK and frankly got the cold shoulder. To us this suggested our results were validated and their product was indeed inferior. Otherwise we would have expected a report showing how they outshine the competition.
The comments section was also an interesting read... Battery Tender/Deltran didn't fare to well there. Neither did Schumacher (too bad too cause I just ordered/received two of them... Might want to consider sending them back). As to the CTEK, I at least saw one statement that shed favorable light on them...

We had some YIX30L batteries that were starting to age (about 5-6 months old). We used 4 chargers to charge them up: CTEK 3300, Pulse Tech XC100-P, Battery MINDer 1215C (a new one they are coming out with provided to us to sample and play with) and a Schauer CM6A. These batteries are not what I would call terribly sulfated or heavily discharged as they were all around 12.6 to 12.7 Volts. Anyways the preliminary results are encouraging for all of those brands CTEK is vying for top spot...we will start into the very heavily abused and sulfated batteries in the near future.
For desulfation, the folks that put out that article seem to favor PulseTech and BatteryMinder.

Of course some "grain of salt" should probably be applied to that article. The Author(s) also sell these products (to include the ones they discourage) so it seems. The fact that they sell the ones they discourage sort of work in their favor though (in terms of credibility). It's not like they are simply talking smack about the brands a competitor sells and promoting the ones they offer.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:37 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,706 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Most modern name brand battery tenders use a 4 step process. Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, and Float Mode. Most then take that further into a frequency based desulfation phase. If you are concerned about your brand or if it is an old one, then maybe a new one would not hurt.

My 6 volt Delran is near 20 years old. My first 12 V is nearly as old. But several years ago, because I stopped removing the battery from the motorcycle, I purchased a new Delran with all the features. Cost was minimal, but I think if you battery tenders are as old as mine original ones, even though they are rock solid at what they do, the newer versions have a better float, better shut down time and a pulsing mode. Stick with name brands and companies that offer a guarantee. I would not hesitate to use a Yuasa or a Deltrans, or another major brand. I would hesitate if I had to use a HF model.

If you buy one for $5.00 on fleabay, it may be 20 years old and the guy who sold it to you just bought a new modern one.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Read the manual that comes with it! The highest and best use of a tender is to leave it plugged in until it goes for a ride then plug it in upon returning.

A typical battery has 400 full charge cycles in it. By leaving the tender 24/7 floating at full charge it is possible for an AGM battery to go 8 to 10 years.

I have been using tenders for 15 years on a sports car collection, bike collection, garden tractor and vans. With the motorcycles I have gotten past nine years on some with 8 years being the normal.

It takes less than two seconds to plug or unplug.

Just one thing besure your have a tender/maintainer and not a trickle charger. I have only used the Schumacker 1.5 amp tender for the last 15 years and no issues with 26 of them in service currently.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-29-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:46 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

One factor I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, if you have the security system or not.

If you have the security system / Alarm, it will draw more current from the battery when the bike is stored. You should leave the tender attached.

If you do not have the security system, you can charge the battery every two weeks if it is stored in the bike.

If you take it out of the bike, charge it once a month.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:17 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Funny you mention the CTEK units. Another article I came across...

http://www.impactbattery.com/blog/20...-do-they-work/

They state...

The comments section was also an interesting read... Battery Tender/Deltran didn't fare to well there. Neither did Schumacher (too bad too cause I just ordered/received two of them... Might want to consider sending them back). As to the CTEK, I at least saw one statement that shed favorable light on them...

For desulfation, the folks that put out that article seem to favor PulseTech and BatteryMinder.

Of course some "grain of salt" should probably be applied to that article. The Author(s) also sell these products (to include the ones they discourage) so it seems. The fact that they sell the ones they discourage sort of work in their favor though (in terms of credibility). It's not like they are simply talking smack about the brands a competitor sells and promoting the ones they offer.
Compare apples to apples.

CTEK 3300 is the cheapest, least functional charger CTEK sells.

I use CTEK Multi 7002 US that has built-in automatic pulse charging after battery reaches full charge.

CTEK is best charger/tender.

Quick Reply: Leave battery tender plugged in all winter..or give it a break once in awhile?