General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulled over for non DOT helmet...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:21 AM
baxter
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled over for non DOT helmet...

went out for a cruise along Lake ST. Clair to see some water and scenery, just as i pass into st. clair shores i get the blue and red behind me.... officer asked for ID, reg. , insur. and wanted to see my helmet as that was the reason he pulled me over. i was wearing a non DOT helmet,same ive worn for almost two years and never asked about even when ecountering the law. luckily the officer was a reasonable guy, i explained i had always worn the helmet and said when i bought it i prolly wouldnt get bothered about it, insinuating that i wasnt sure what was or wasnt exceptable as a legal helmet. Luckily my bs passed off as sincerity and he gave me a fix it ticket, so all i have to do is show up to the station with my DOT helmet to be inspected and approved and the all is good..... had me worried though as he told me that if i hadnt been so reasonable with him he could have impounded my bike and ticketed me for ridiing without a helmet...i appreciatted the fact that he gave me a brake but im really tired of our state gov. determining what should rightfully be our own descision to make when it comes to our own personal safety.....

all said an done, ill show my DOT helmet and get the tiket dismissed but i will most likely continue to ride with my brain bucket as usual... the DOT approved helmets ive worn and have are just not comfortable.. maybe im being ignorant disregarding my own safety but having suffered from a closed head injury nearly lethal from just falling down i kinda view it as the difference between being a a vegatable or passiing on.... in which case id jus rather go to the next level.

anyone encounter similar situations? what was the outcome?

Old 06-16-2007, 03:30 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: pulled over for non DOT helmet...

Never been an issue for me, as when I lived in states that required helmets, I made sure I wore one that was DOT approved.

Keep in mind, that this Officer will probably remember you, and if he sees you again with your non DOT lid, that he will probably ticket you for it. And should you take it to court, he can testify that he recognized you from a previous encounter, and that from that encounter, he knew the helmet you were wearing to be of the non dot variety.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:35 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Congratulations. You now have acquired the motivation to start petitioning your state legislature to correct (I started to say change) that law. Get others to join you. If nothing else, check and see what ABATE is doing in your state and join ABATE if they are doing something you approve of. One of the beauties of the good old USA is that we do not have to submissively accept every law that power hungry, greedy politicians give to their lobbyists controllers. Yes, I am pissed.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's what I lifted from the MSP website:

Recognizing Approved Helmets
Per the Michigan Administrative Code Rule R28.951, only motorcycle helmets meeting all of the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218 are legal for use in Michigan. The following guidelines are useful in recognizing approved helmets:

Labeling:

· Manufacturer's name or identification.
· Precise model designation.
· Size.
· Month and year of manufacture (i.e., June 1988 or 6/88).
· The symbol DOT, constituting the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. The symbol shall appear on the posterior outer surface, in a color that contrasts with the background, in letters at least 3/8 inch high, and between 1 1/8 inches and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom edge of the helmet.

It is important to note that an approved helmet may no longer bear the DOT sticker if it has been removed, or covered by a custom paintjob. Also, contraband DOT stickers can be obtained for the purpose of applying them to unapproved helmets. The application of a DOT sticker to an unapproved helmet does NOT make it a legal helmet in Michigan. [/ul]
· Instructions to the purchaser regarding construction and other safety-related information.

Other guidelines:

· As a general rule, the thickness of the polyfoam inner liner should be at least 1 inch thick. This is the easiest way to detect helmets not meeting federal standards, as most novelty helmets are nothing more than a shell with a very thin liner or pad for comfort.
· Chin straps must be sturdy, thick, and well-riveted.
· Protrusions outside of the helmet shall be limited to those required for operation of essential accessories and shall not protrude more than 2/10 inch.

On another rant...Don't you just love being 'singled out' because you're an easy target? People drive their cages with dogs on their laps, yappin' on cell phones, have their 'precious' chillren running all over the inside of the minivan, no child seats,.....And the cops look the other way.

Unless it's 'seatbelt' enforcement day...They don't pull people over. But, ride past one without a helmet......You're zapped.

Oh...I'm not a supporter of Gov. GrandMole....

Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 AM
JLHOG
Tourer

I heard MI was starting to crack down on non DOT helmets. I bought a DOT sticker to put on my helmet and will not take the helmet off so they can inspect it. Look at it from the outside and make your call.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I have never even heard of this happening to anyone. Your the first.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Read my edited post:
Recognizing Approved Helmets
Per the Michigan Administrative Code Rule R28.951, only motorcycle helmets meeting all of the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 218 are legal for use in Michigan. The following guidelines are useful in recognizing approved helmets:

Labeling:

· Manufacturer's name or identification.
· Precise model designation.
· Size.
· Month and year of manufacture (i.e., June 1988 or 6/88).
· The symbol DOT, constituting the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. The symbol shall appear on the posterior outer surface, in a color that contrasts with the background, in letters at least 3/8 inch high, and between 1 1/8 inches and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom edge of the helmet.

It is important to note that an approved helmet may no longer bear the DOT sticker if it has been removed, or covered by a custom paintjob. Also, contraband DOT stickers can be obtained for the purpose of applying them to unapproved helmets. The application of a DOT sticker to an unapproved helmet does NOT make it a legal helmet in Michigan. [/ul]
· Instructions to the purchaser regarding construction and other safety-related information.

Other guidelines:

· As a general rule, the thickness of the polyfoam inner liner should be at least 1 inch thick. This is the easiest way to detect helmets not meeting federal standards, as most novelty helmets are nothing more than a shell with a very thin liner or pad for comfort.
· Chin straps must be sturdy, thick, and well-riveted.
· Protrusions outside of the helmet shall be limited to those required for operation of essential accessories and shall not protrude more than 2/10 inch.

You're gonna really get yourself in a 'situation' if you refuse to remove your helmet when a LEO tells you to. Sorta like not 'stepping out of the car', if you know what I mean.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:39 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hackd

You're gonna really get yourself in a 'situation' if you refuse to remove your helmet when a LEO tells you to. Sorta like not 'stepping out of the car', if you know what I mean.
Actually that is very debateable. I am a LEO and have questioned this with other LEO's. None of us have a "right" answer.

If you are wearing your helmet, it is no different than your pockets, IMO. The officer would have to either have a warrant to search your person or and here is the big chance....Arrest you for something and then make a search incident to arrest in order to inspect your helmet.

People talk of seizing helmets....I can't really get a good answer on that....In my state the helmet isn't contraband, meaning it isn't illegal to own. So, it is debateable, at least to me, whether it can be seized as evidence. To me it is like writing you an equipment violation for slick tires...We don't seize your tires.

Really in the end, if you wear an illegal helmet and know it, you are taking your chances and shouldn't complain when if you get caught. Please do take any of what I said above as the gospel and rely on it as legal info, because as we say..."You might beat the rap, but you didn't beat the ride."

Old 06-16-2007, 09:48 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeaha!

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci
because as we say..."You might beat the rap, but you didn't beat the ride."

Old 06-16-2007, 09:49 AM
dynaglider
Tourer

I'll take this opportunity to encourage you to send your 25 bucks to the MRF (Motorcycle Riders Foundation) at mrf.org and to anyone else fighting mandatory helmet laws. Due to their efforts the state I live in (MN) does not require adults to wear helmets.

Quick Reply: pulled over for non DOT helmet...