General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How useful has your pocket knife been when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017 | 11:17 AM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
That sounds like it would make the pocket knife into a dedicated fender mounted weapon. How do you clean your nails while riding, or open packages?
Hmm... I guess I see your point. When I open packages I actually just hold it in my hand and reach down and touch it to the motor. After about 73 seconds the plastic melts enough where I can use my teeth to pull about the molded plastic. You got to be quick though, before it cools off and re hardens. Dont be too quick, or youll have melted plastic all over the inside of your mouth. Trust me...I've tasted a lot of foul things...melted plastic has to be the worst. And relatively painful cause you have to reheat it to remove it.

and I dont clean my fingernails. or clip them. I have grown them into talons and died my hair snow white so I can pretend I'm a bald eagle as I fly down the road... Lady Liberty sheds a tear every time I fire up the ole HD.

The following users liked this post:
Cygnusx51 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017 | 12:16 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTLorys
Hmm... I guess I see your point. When I open packages I actually just hold it in my hand and reach down and touch it to the motor. After about 73 seconds the plastic melts enough where I can use my teeth to pull about the molded plastic. You got to be quick though, before it cools off and re hardens. Dont be too quick, or youll have melted plastic all over the inside of your mouth. Trust me...I've tasted a lot of foul things...melted plastic has to be the worst. And relatively painful cause you have to reheat it to remove it.

and I dont clean my fingernails. or clip them. I have grown them into talons and died my hair snow white so I can pretend I'm a bald eagle as I fly down the road... Lady Liberty sheds a tear every time I fire up the ole HD.
I got nothing. Happy Friday!

Cygnusx51 (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017 | 12:41 PM
BTLorys
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I got nothing. Happy Friday!
Happy friday lol

Old 12-01-2017 | 05:01 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Hahaha, I have to exit the mobile view so I can “thank” these posts, or “like” them, however you want to say it.

BTLorys (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017 | 06:29 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master

I carry two knives so I can loan one and not part with my good one.

Old 12-02-2017 | 09:39 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master

I always have a pocket knife with me on the bike, but so far haven't needed it for anything specific, thankfully.

Old 12-02-2017 | 01:22 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kickstartfan
I carry two knives so I can loan one and not part with my good one.
I do that with girlfriend's.

BTLorys (12-04-2017)
Old 04-17-2018 | 01:31 PM
harrythomas
Stage II
Default I always carry a karambit-knife

On longer trips, I always carry a first aid kit, windproof lighter, GPS, spare batteries, map and my trusty karambit-knife. I believe karambit-knife is an effective weapon in the hands of a properly trained fighter.
www.karambit-knife.com

Old 04-17-2018 | 02:39 PM
Flstcjay
Tourer

I always have a pocket knife, and when on road trips it’s joined by a leatherman and a fixed blade.

The knife i usually carry is an antique puma I picked up for a buck. Love this knife.

As as far as being handy goes I have two examples.

Buddy lost the pin on his rear caliper and we were broke down on the highway. Was able to find some wire and wire up the caliper to get home.

Different buddy lost the spring in his side stand. Was able to use the knife for leverage to pull the spring back onto the posts. Saved the day both times.

Old 04-17-2018 | 04:12 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Arrow

I wish I would've seen this thread last month. I don't fly much, last month I surrendered my pocket knife at the airport. I know better. It's been in my jacket pocket for over 20 years. I'm not really sentimental about my tools, I'll get another.

I've fixed a couple of bikes, gone camping with it, etc. Just a handy tool!

Years ago in Deadwood, SD, the old #10 Saloon had a policy; no colors, no knives. Anyone remember that? I had to remove my knife and put it in a cubbyhole frame next to everyone else's knives. Made for a colorful story of the lawless days of Sturgis...

Quick Reply: How useful has your pocket knife been when riding?