General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How useful has your pocket knife been when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017 | 09:16 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I have two K-Bar with leather handles.... one my fathers, and the other given to me because it is the little brother to my dad's knife. are there any knife builders out there? Looking to replace the leather handles. Not to build a show quality, but to build a useful blade. Any suggestions to a builder is appreciated.

Old 11-29-2017 | 04:17 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior

I always carry a pocket knife, riding or not. It has proven to be very handy more times than I can count. My current carry knife is a Kershaw spring-assisted model.

Old 11-29-2017 | 04:55 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I always have a Leatherman with me when I ride.
It has proved countless times it's far more usefull to me than just a knife.

Old 11-30-2017 | 06:36 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Since I was a small kid I have carried a medium stockman pocket knife, either a Case or Schrade/ Uncle Henry(all USA made). Most of the time I also carry a larger knife. Sometimes an auto-open in back pocket or in the winter months usually a hunting knife/sheath on belt.

I use my pocket knife multiple times every single day, couldn't get by without it.

Old 11-30-2017 | 08:23 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I have successfully defended myself from all variety of plastic packaging with one of my Kershaws.

A good knife is the difference between having your SD card or not having your SD card. It's that critical.

The following users liked this post:
UUNetBill (11-30-2017)
Old 11-30-2017 | 12:29 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
I have successfully defended myself from all variety of plastic packaging with one of my Kershaws.

A good knife is the difference between having your SD card or not having your SD card. It's that critical.
And a billion other things in those cursed kryptonite plastic packages.

I’m the same way, always have a pocketknife somewhere except on our annual cruise vacations where ya can’t take ‘em on the plane or the boat. I always feel naked without one - and I always freak out that I ‘lost my knife’ - drives my wife nuts.

If I’m not in the office, I’m always wearing my Kershaw and usually either my Sig P938 or my S&W 642. Fall and winter I can upgrade to my TRP or Beretta 92.

But...to get back on topic - if I’m on the bike, I have a knife. Can’t ever recall a time I’ve needed it for something on the bike although I’m sure I’ve cut or trimmed something with it over the past 40 years...

Old 11-30-2017 | 01:00 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
and I always freak out that I ‘lost my knife’ - drives my wife nuts.
Oooooh......I hate that.

I'm always missing one. And then I'll find it, rotate it in, and lose the one I was just carrying. Usually found in a dirty pair of pants in the laundry.

Old 11-30-2017 | 02:46 PM
TroutBum
Tourer

I carry a knife daily. Something I started as a kid with a pocket knife my dad gave me. I still have that knife. My current favorites are Opinel, Benchmade and Spyderco. Feels odd when I forget to pocket one.

Old 11-30-2017 | 03:16 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member

Leatherman Wave on the utility belt, Doug Ritter Mk I in the pocket.

Open packages, cut tie strips, "you got your knife?" requests all the time. Over the years, I've cut and stripped wires, cut tubing, shortened belts, cut threads, there's a zillion things I've used it for without thinking about it, and can't remember.

I used to shave burns off ignition points occasionally, years ago.

Old 11-30-2017 | 04:10 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Got a little Benchmade pocket knife.

It's cool. But while I've heard that a decent pocket knife is a good idea if you ride, I cannot see how it would be more useful than say, a leatherman.

So tell me any stories you have of when your pocket knife came in handy as a rider.
I always carry a knife, but for the life of me, I cannot think of a situation where I needed it while riding. I think that means, I had it, I used it for what ever purpose, and forgot about it. I am always popping plastic wire ties, cutting silicon or electrical tape, trimming gasket material, filing something, but for the life of me I cannot think of a single specific instance other than cleaning my fingernails while waiting for someone. They just do not stand out or took other tools as well.

I have used my Leatherman, but I do not always carry that even though it is in the saddlebag if I need it. I am making the assumption "pocket knife" that you mean the one that is always in my pocket.

Quick Reply: How useful has your pocket knife been when riding?