General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How useful has your pocket knife been when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017 | 09:09 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain

I always have a small knife in my pocket unless I am flying. And if flying and have a checked bag, I have a pocket knife in there for when I arrive.
It's something I learned from my dad and grandfather. I still have some cheap Barlow knives my grandad gave me for birthdays over 50 years ago.

My favorite blade at the moment is a really small lock blade that may have cost a dollar that my dad recently gave me. Maybe a blade length of 1.5" but more like a part of my dad goes with me in my pocket.

Can't say I've ever needed a blade on the bike but have used tools from a tool bag that is always with the bike.

Old 11-23-2017 | 09:38 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Gibbs Rule #9: "Never go anywhere without a knife"

I always have my Benchmade. And not so much for when riding, but when I'm off the bike.

Old 11-23-2017 | 09:39 AM
Jmaz
Advanced

I carry a Swiss Army knife in my pocket and a Leatherman on my belt. Never know when you may need it. Better safe than sorry. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-23-2017 | 10:32 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Considering it's almost 3" overall length, it's never been used for anything major...and not many things minor.

Old 11-23-2017 | 10:51 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member

Not so much as repairs on the bike but to open boxed bike parts.

Always carry a pocket knife

WP50

Old 11-23-2017 | 11:09 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
|
Elite HDF Member

These are great stories. haha. Some real. Some not. At least I hope not. haha.

Old 11-23-2017 | 12:00 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member

I’ve had pocket knives since I was 6 years old. A great tool that can be used for all sorts of jobs.
I carry a knife now just in case I have to deal with some *** hat in a dump truck.

Old 11-23-2017 | 12:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Another Swiss Army carrier I have the larger lock blade design, on my 3rd. I use it daily and can't begin the list the bike related stuff, the screw driver tips have been a life saver on many occasions.

Far a roadside story goes, think the best was when the timing inspection plug on the old shovel blew out, found a chunk of truck tire and carved a replacement. Pulled my lower carb brace, used the file on the knife to grove it so I could break it off to the right length then used it to hold the plug in place down off the center case stud between the cylinders. Was bit messy but got me the 110 miles to home, only lost about a 1/2 quart of oil.

Old 11-23-2017 | 12:56 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rleedeuce
I once used my pocket knife to do a valve job to my XLCH.
I had been attacked by a wild band of screaming Ubangies and fought them long and hard with my trusty blade.
Upon discovering my cylinder pressure was down I immediately whipped out said impliment and after removing the top end with the attached church key I began the ardurous work of decarbonizing each valve pocket.
Luckily this afforded me the opportunity to flee as the Ubangies returned later that night.
After that close call you can be sure I NEVER leave home without it.
Ubangi? Ubetcha

Old 11-23-2017 | 01:17 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior

Can't specifically recal any roadside fixes other than a few points adjustments on my shovel. But as stated before I am never without a decent blade. Find myself using it several times a day for random stuff. My favorite is a 2.5 inch folder. Great minimalist design that fits the hand great. Little bit softer steel so it doesn't hold an edge very long but takes a new edge quickly and isn't at all prone to chipping. I've tortured this thing with lots of prying jobs that a knife isn't the right tool for.

Quick Reply: How useful has your pocket knife been when riding?