Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork oil question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:55 PM
mjeddy78
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork oil question

I have a 2006 FXDWGI and I just got some new progressive fork springs. I'm about 5'8" and 175lbs and I ride 2 up 50% of the time. I emailed progressive and they said

Spacer should be 6.9” in length.
Fork oil level/volume should be checked according to the steps outlined in your authorized shop manual. Measurement of your fork oil by level is the preferred method. However, some manuals only specify a volume measurement. Due to the design of a progressive wound fork spring it will displace more oil thus requiring a maximum oil level of 5.5" (140mm).

My question is
does the spacer length sound right?
and I believe my manual says somewhere around 29 oz of fluid per fork. Don't have the manual with me. But the 5.5" oil level they're talking about, is that measured from the top of the fork to the top of the fluid with the forks collapsed? And what would I use to measure the 5.5" without buying the special measuring tool?

thank you in advance

Old 11-17-2017, 04:13 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

With your 49mm tubes you didn't specify what Progressive springs you installed; when I installed the Progressive 11-1546 heavy springs Progressive called for a 5.5" spacer and a 150mm fluid level. I weight 145 pounds, never ride 2 up, and the heavy springs were the right choice for me; not at all harsh, but firm and planted.

If you're using the Progressive standard springs the fluid measurement and the spacer length might very well be right and exactly what they told you it is

The fork oil measurement specified in the SM is out the window with non OEM parts. Follow Progressive's recommendations; their springs do displace more oil and that spec in the SM which calls for a 95mm fluid height will lead to an overfilled fork tube.

You take the fluid measurement with the spring, washer, and spacer removed and the slider compressed; you measure from the top edge of the fork tube down to the fluid. You can use something as simple as a metal ruler to measure the fluid height if necessary. Just make sure the fluid height is the same in both tubes. IF you cut your own spacers out of PVC be certain the spacers are clean and free of any debris from the cutting; that debris isn't something you want in your fork tubes...

Old 11-17-2017, 04:37 PM
mjeddy78
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
With your 49mm tubes you didn't specify what Progressive springs you installed; when I installed the Progressive 11-1546 heavy springs Progressive called for a 5.5" spacer and a 150mm fluid level. I weight 145 pounds, never ride 2 up, and the heavy springs were the right choice for me; not at all harsh, but firm and planted.

If you're using the Progressive standard springs the fluid measurement and the spacer length might very well be right and exactly what they told you it is

The fork oil measurement specified in the SM is out the window with non OEM parts. Follow Progressive's recommendations; their springs do displace more oil and that spec in the SM which calls for a 95mm fluid height will lead to an overfilled fork tube.

You take the fluid measurement with the spring, washer, and spacer removed and the slider compressed; you measure from the top edge of the fork tube down to the fluid. You can use something as simple as a metal ruler to measure the fluid height if necessary. Just make sure the fluid height is the same in both tubes. IF you cut your own spacers out of PVC be certain the spacers are clean and free of any debris from the cutting; that debris isn't something you want in your fork tubes...

thank you
and I got the standard springs 11-1525
I think maybe I should've gotten the heavy duty?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Look up how to set sag.One size does not fit all.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,864 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mjeddy78
thank you
and I got the standard springs 11-1525
I think maybe I should've gotten the heavy duty?
Not unless you weigh 275pounds IMHO! Your weight is in the normal range, you are not heavy. If in doubt call Progressive, they seem to be very helpful.