General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet for my son

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Helmet for my son

I'm looking for a little input for a new helmet for my son for Christmas. I'm left in a bit of a struggle within myself.

He is 8, highly intelligent and sports a fairly large melon and he wants a half helmet like dear old dad wears. I told him that option was off the table and with him being more mature then his age states, he understood. (Still haven't figured out how to tell him why I wear one and he can't) He is in a full face right now that's getting smaller by the day.

So we are at the Harley shop the other day and he asked if he could have a helmet similar to this:
https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...h27-3-4-helmet

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the 3/4 helmets. Obviously I understand that it is going to protect better than a half helmet and conversely it's not going to protect as well as a full face.

Anyone have a helmet like the one above? Pros and cons if you do please.

I'm really thinking a modular helmet would be best but I have my questions about the amount of air it would catch while riding if the front chin bar is in the up position. Pros/Con on that as well.

Not really looking to get admonished (or start a turf war for certain type/brand helmet lovers) for trying to take my child's opinion into consideration, just looking for some feedback on some different types of lids.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:50 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

My youngest always liked his modular helmet at that age. He went to a 3/4 years ago.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:51 PM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

Absolutely no admonishment intended and I sympathise wholeheartedly. I used to wear an FXRG Modular Helmet but moved on to a Laxity-Pro half helmet which unfortunately are not legal in the UK. My 10 year old daughter rides pillion and yearns to ditch the jacket for a cut, and wear an open face helmet.

I explained to her that I regard her as 'Precious Cargo' and my concern and riding style change when she is on the back and for me to feel comfortable she needs to wear adequate gear. Once she is old enough to pass her test and ride her own bike on the roads and highways she can then choose her own gear. The explanation was received better than I expected.

If it's a must I'm with you a modular 'open' would afford better protection than a 3/4 IMHO.

Last edited by K9F; 11-15-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Ever think about getting Bluetooth enabled helmets to talk back and forth?
It would be a good way to share thoughts and perspectives on a ride making a tighter bond.
https://www.motorcyclistlife.com/bes...rcycle-helmet/
Amazon Amazon
WARRANTY + ACCIDENT REPLACEMENT PROTECTION* – Your Mach 2.0 JR Helmet is backed by our industry leading 5 year warranty, and in the event of an accident we will replace the junior motorcycle helmet at no cost to you with the same or similar product.

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 11-15-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:51 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

You are not suppose to ride with the chinbar up with modular helmets. Not recommended. If you have a windshield then having it up is no problem but still not recommended according to the owners manual. You should lead by example and tell him the truth why he cant and you can. It will sound stupid because it is stupid when you explain it to him. But that's a different story. If you let your son wear a FF then maybe you should consider one too when riding with him. That way he wont question you. Maybe your son is looking out for you with all of his curiosities.

If you want an opinion on helmets then I would take a look at Nolan or Cycle gears Bilt line if you are on a budget

Last edited by vizcarmb; 11-15-2017 at 03:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Almostinvincible119 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
It will sound stupid because it is stupid
Bingo bango...I just don't want to admit it to myself. I like the half helmet. I've ridden sport bikes with a full face, been hit by a car in a full face and walked away. I'm not against a full face for myself, but ever since wearing a half helmet I understand why people love those too.

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
If you want an opinion on helmets then I would take a look at Nolan or Cycle gears Bilt line if you are on a budget
Not really looking for a budget helmet, but I don't want to drop Arai or Schu money since he doesn't log thousands of miles and he'll probably grow out of it sooner than later.

Thanks for the response!

Old 11-15-2017, 04:51 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

My son is 35 and a combat veteran. He took his BRC last year. He rented a bike this year, and I lent him my full face. He started to argue with me that I should wear the FF and he wanted my 3/4. I told him I wore FF for the first 10 years I rode, and that if he hit his face he would appreciate the chinbar.

Your son deserves the same protection.

Frequency of impact diagram

Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

How much is your son's brain and/or face worth? Purchase accordingly.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ron750
My son is 35 and a combat veteran. He took his BRC last year. He rented a bike this year, and I lent him my full face. He started to argue with me that I should wear the FF and he wanted my 3/4. I told him I wore FF for the first 10 years I rode, and that if he hit his face he would appreciate the chinbar.

Your son deserves the same protection.
Couldn't agree with you more. There's a piece of road not far from me that has the side of my helmet ground into the asphalt. Just wanted to hear pros and cons of the 3/4 with shield and then how the modular works while riding open behind a shield.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:29 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

My daughter only rides with a full face. I went up to a 3/4, but she never asked me to wear a ff. She wants to rides in shorts and a tee shirt. She refused rides before because I made her change and put on a leather jacket in the summer. She is now 15

Quick Reply: Helmet for my son