General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ran out of gas stories (at least mine)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:55 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ran out of gas stories (at least mine)

I left my ex's at 1:45am and headed home (60+miles away). My LED gas light turned red in the first 10miles, then about 30miles later turned from solid red to blinking red. Eh, I kept on going, nearing 3am. It sure was a nice warm night ride, was enjoying it riding down the highway at 72-80miles per hour no one tryn to race me(you know them cagers who HAVE TO BE FIRST and race by you no matter what at 100miles per hour..). Anyways I keep watching my LED on my gas tank blink... heh only 20miles to go.. kept blinking.. only 10miles to go.. im off the highway now..5miles..2miles... Now I am about 2 blocks from my home.. the engine stumbles.. I laugh to myself and give it some throttle and get it up the hill, and it stumbles again I'm over the hill and coasting to my house.. stumbles a few more times.. waiting for my garage door to open. And I am in (heh...)

I know I wont make it to the gas station today... hah least I made it fully home LOL

Old 06-15-2007, 04:01 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: ran out of gas stories (at least mine)

I sure wouldn't want to risk leaving an '07 Fat Boy on the side of the road at 2:00 am because I ran out of gas. You were lucky.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Bobby Joe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky man your story had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I could just feel the pucker factor kicking in.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, many years ago before I had a Harley, I had a Honda Sabre v65 1100. Great bike. I beatthe crap out of it it always ran. The only problem was the guages didn't work. The guages were electric, at least the speedo so I had no odometer. One day I was riding down the 10 freeway in the middle of the afternoon rush hour (I can't remember where I was going) in the fast lane. Suddenly the bike began to choke for gas. I reached for reserve and realized it was already on reserve. Uh oh. So as the bike began to slow I eased it onto the shoulder in the middle of the freeway. I stopped the bike and wathced all the traffic whizzing by for a minute or two kicking myself for allowing the bike to run out of gas at such a stupid place. I would need a miracle to even get across the freeway to be able to walk the bike to a gas station. A few minutes later out of nowhere appeared an MTA tow truck. The driver got out and asked what the problem was. I told I needed gas, he reached for his gas can and filled me up. I reached for my wallet to pay him for his service and he replied that he gets paid by the MTA and there was no need for me to pay him. These MTA two trucks drive around all day on the freeways and help out where needed. Pretty cool and it made my day, that is for sure. I have other experiences running out, all on the same bike but those are for another day. Makes ure you got enough gas to get there as when I have had to push my bike to the station it was a tiring experience.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master

Lucked out this time.
Don't recommend trying that again, though.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
bnsoftailrider
Cruiser

ran out of gas on I-65 north of Birmingham on my 05 Heritage when it was brand new (less than 150miles on it) and running on my VERY FIRST tank of gas....stupid me, I thought those gauges worked......[:@] luckily a very nice cager stopped and happened to have a gas can in his vehicle.....15 mins later on my way

Old 06-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you had a bagger, you could of carried some extra.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Peekaboo Bob

Well, if you had a bagger, you could of carried some extra.
A Heritage has bags.......

Old 06-15-2007, 06:28 PM
scremineaglesoftail0
Cruiser

was on my 04 sporty wife asked"got euff gas?" said i think so...up the hill 2 miles later had to pull off road call my sister to bring us some gas my wife never lets me live that down. now own softail w/ gas gauge[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 PM
bnsoftailrider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: scremineaglesoftail0

was on my 04 sporty wife asked"got euff gas?" said i think so...up the hill 2 miles later had to pull off road call my sister to bring us some gas my wife never lets me live that down. now own softail w/ gas gauge[sm=smiley20.gif]
OOOPs, better take a look at my post about gas gauges

Quick Reply: ran out of gas stories (at least mine)