General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting down my fat boy windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Sstrickstein
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cutting down my fat boy windshield.

I purchased a used fat boy windshield for my 2016 fat boy low. It came with two windshields one that was scratched which are used to practice and one brand new in the package. Following instructions that I found on YouTube I taped off both sides of my windshield and marked where I wanted to cut. I used a Dremel tool For the cutting. And then after I was done used a sander to square off the edges. All in all I was satisfied with the job until I drove it at night the first time. It seems the blue tape painters tape pulled some of the finish off the plexiglass windshield. Before I try this again on my new windshield I wanted to check with anybody and see if they had suggestions clearly I don’t want to use the same tape that I did on the practice.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have had mine cut down twice,and both times I just went to my local Speedy Glass repair shop and let them do it,it's just like new,you'd never know it was that long before,it cost me 30 bucks.

The following users liked this post:
Dirty Harry (05-16-2020)
Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,666 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Just a suggestion but doubt you would be anything less than pleased. Try an LRS shield that you don't have to look through. Throws the air up over you and keeps a nice pocket of calm in the cockpit. First time I got one I was very happy and have had a bunch of their shields since.

Dirty Harry (05-16-2020)
Old 11-08-2017, 09:45 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

I've done it a couple of times on the same windshield and just used regular masking tape. No damage at all.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Sstrickstein
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskyjock
I've done it a couple of times on the same windshield and just used regular masking tape. No damage at all.
Did you cut down a hard coated Harley windshield? Like a sSoftail screen?

Old 11-09-2017, 04:21 AM
djohn
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I used an 8 to 10 tooth jigsaw blade to cut down my factory shield. It could be the Dremel tool is creating to much heat.

Just a thought.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:27 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 267 Likes on 152 Posts

I've cut down my 06 Ultra's screen a couple times. I now have the top edge where I want it.

But I cut it ON THE BOTTOM! I removed it from the bike and cut the bottom (which is hidden). I had to replicate the slots/holes for the screws to go through, but not a big deal. This way I didn't disturb the factory edge on the sides and the top.

Dirty Harry (05-16-2020)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:54 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

On the sportster, I used blue painters tape on both sides and a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade. As soon as done, i slowly removed tne tape with no problems. My windshield is a clear one and that might be why nothing came off with the tape. On the deluxe, LRS windshield. You can catch them on sale around Christmas time.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 325 Posts

I used a cut-off wheel on my disc grinder to cut mine. It was clear tho. Blue painters tape typically comes off pretty easy. I'm surprised it pulled off the tinting. Of course depending on the brand, there are definitely differences in adhesion strength.

I would suggest that if there is tinting film on the screen, then tape on the opposite side.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I scribed a line, taped to that line, and used a very fine jigsaw blade. Why tape BOTH sides, tape only the side the saw is riding on. And don't tape the tint side as my experience with tint is it does not adhere strongly

sharkey (05-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Cutting down my fat boy windshield.