General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting down my fat boy windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:44 AM
BuckKnuckle
Road Master
Received 1,007 Likes on 398 Posts

I did this once 10 years or so ago with a Street Shield windshield. I didn't tape anything, just
drew the lines on with a marker, and used a hand-held angle grinder with a flexible carbide wheel.
Worked great. Just used alcohol to wipe off any remaining marker when I was done. Looked like
it came from the factory.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:18 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,891 Likes on 1,359 Posts

There's a lot of inferior blue tape on the market, masquerading as "painters tape" but it is NOT. Most of the cheap stuff is easy to tell... by ripping apart when trying to pull it off the roll. May or may not be your issue but ensuring you buy a quality, true painters tape is worth the attention and the price.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:05 PM
s-glide76
Road Master
Received 1,023 Likes on 417 Posts

I've used a belt sander to take a couple inches off a couple windshields.
Just take a piece of poster board, outline the shape of the the windshield. Use a pair of scissors to cut the poster board. Lower the poster board to the height you wish to cut the windshield down to. Tape the poster board to the windshield and use a sharpie to outline it.
Than just run the belt sander back and forth along the top edge of the windshield, shaving it down until you get to the poster board.
Finish off the edge with some emery cloth wrapped around a block of wood.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

I cut down a few clear and smoke windshields. I use blue tape on both sides and a cut off wheels with a grinder. No issues and it came out clean

cut my 13 RK windshield

also cut my bullet fairing

Old 05-16-2020, 12:56 AM
Cootey
Road Captain
Received 248 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey guys,

Have you found a shorter screen better than tall? I have a 2019 Fatboy and the 19" screen was terrible. I was considering a 15" or shorter...

I've always had my helmet in clean air, and I'd like to try that on the Fatboy.

Thoughts?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:30 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskyjock
I've done it a couple of times on the same windshield and just used regular masking tape. No damage at all.
I wondered about these. I like a giant windshield, because it is warmer. Would this still keep some of that effect? I don't like that they don't offer a clear. Never saw the point in a tinted wiondhsield

I have been tempted to get a shorter windhield on one of my bikes. What I hate is dew at night at fogging up. Fairing windshields are cheaper, but they are also used in the cold weathr. Full windshields are more money and not as quick to change out. So I am tempted to try a shorter one on my Ultra. I suppose no reason I couldn't go back to taller windhshield in the cold season. Usually not riding in the rain or dewey conditions then at night.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:38 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 265 Posts

I've cut a handful of windshields, from top and have re-done headlight cutout and mounting holes. Epoxy filled old holes and covered from front with small travel stickers. Blue tape on cutting side, sharp coarse jigsaw and sloooowly cut. Then carefully sand smooth. There was limited selection when I first got my Fat Bob. I prefer a short windshield (top below eye level) and wear a Schuberth modular. Helmet (or not) probably makes a big difference. Tried a re-curve; found the "calm" zone very small and LOTS of turbulance above that.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:41 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,891 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I believe I read some years back, the windshield is supposed to fit just comfortably below eye level. Your supposed to look over it, so as not to impeded vision through adverse conditions but not cut too low, as it should still push the wind up and over yer noggin'.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:07 PM
Cootey
Road Captain
Received 248 Likes on 141 Posts

Here in Perth, Australia it is not cold, apart from a few mornings. I just want to take some blast off my chest. I may get a small flyscreen and make mounts. Like this (very bad Photoshop):