General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking fuel quick disconnect - Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Zacfatboy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leaking fuel quick disconnect - Deuce

I'm new to this forum and in need of some help for a buddy (who also just bought a bike although he has a '78 XLCR in his warehouse). I was just searched on 'fuel quick disconnect'but didn't find apost that captured the issue.My friend (who just bought a chromed out'03 Deuce SE FI with 2300 miles on it)hasa problemwhere the gas tank quick disconnect leaks around the metal 90* fuel line fitting (elbow) when the ignition is powered on (and the fuel pump is on). The quick disconnect itself - which is screwed into the bottom of the gas tank - does not leak until the fuel line is connected. Yes, the fuel line is new, correct for the bike and makes a positive lock/click when connected to the tank. As always, there's a bit of a story to this so please hang with me.

My friend's bike has a Harley numbered/custom tank and fender set.The previous owner was actually hit sitting at a traffic light while on the the bike, from the left side (by an H2 - ouch). The only damage to the bike was dent in the lower rear of the left tank. His knee didn't fare as well as the tank did - which is why he sold the bike. Anyway, the bike came with a bunch of OEM parts, including bars, seat, fenders and the gas tank. When my friend got the bike last week he was convinced that he needed to put the original (undented) tank and fender set back on. So last Friday evening he decided to start with the gas tank.

With the seat off, he removed the dash and the front bolt that holds the gas tank on. He removed the front cross fuel line OK, but didn't know that the quick disconnect was even there...so he tried to pull the gas line off of the 90* elbow that fits to the quick connect (unsuccessfully). He ended up cutting the fuel line off about an inch back before he learned of the quick connect about a minute later! To compound the error and before he cut off the fuel line itself, he unscrewed the entire quick connection from the bottom of the tank (which promptly drained the gas too!). When he got the quick connect off he discovered an accordian style fuel line in the tank - which must to to the fuel pump. He tried to get this off but apparently it's on there pretty good so decided to put it back in.

He said that when he was tightening the quick connect back into the bottom of the tank the accordian fuel line felt like it was twisting/binding but then finally gave away and spun. Thinking nothing of it, he went to the dealer and payed the $51 for the new fuel line...which brings us to last night.

He also bought a set of V&H Q Series (Big Shot Staggered with baffles). I had installed the same pipes but from Screamin' Eagle on my bike a few months ago so said I'd come over to help. While I worked on the pipes, he reconnected his new fuel line, reinstalled the gas tank and then hooked up his instruments. After the pipes were bolted up, he added some gas and went to start her up...and the quick connect leaked once the power was put to the fuel pump. It does not leak without the fuel pump running and the fuel line connected (if the fuel line is not connected and with the fuel pump running, all is dry).

He has the old/original quick connect elbow from the original fuel line, so we tried this to see if it fit any differently than the new one...same deal. Each elbow fits into the quick connection fine - with a positive click and comes off as it should when released, but, both are kind of loose...at least when compared to the one on my '06 Fatboy. (I had my bike in his garage last night and compared the two as we did this. My connection makes the same positive click when inserting the elbow but the whole assembly seems to be tighter in the quick connection itself.)

Our theory is that the metal tab/tit that pus

Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: leaking fuel quick disconnect - Deuce

My brother just went through the same damn thing with his Road King. No leak with the fuel line disconnected but leaked like mad when the line was hooked up. On his bike, the fitting in the tank is part of a 1-piece hose that connects to the discharge side of the fuel pump, which is inside the fuel tank. He had the Harley shop fix it to the tune of $200.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cracked mine they told me to bring it in and they would fix for free. It would cost more to trailer it then just to buy to part for $40.00

Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Zacfatboy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys - my buddy went to the dealer and they were pretty helpful. They were less than surprised about the leak, and said that there's an inner grommet/seal that is most likely hosed (no pun in tended). He ended up buying the new quick release and hose assembly and a new tank gasket for the fuel pump. They also lent him a hose clamp crimper for the internal clamp at the fuel pump.

I'm heading over later to oversee repair operations!

thx again for the input - Mike

Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
list2002
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the o-ring inside the fuel disconnect. Mine was chewed up a bit from when I disconnected it. Harley will still make you buy the whole disconnect valve, $55 for me. I found the chewed up o-ring, popped it out, got a matching one out of a $2 pack of various size rings, and put it in, no leaking. WAY easier than taking out and putting in a new valve assembly. The F-ers @ HD still charged me 15% for the part because I ordered it even though I cancelled it days before they received it. Way to win business. Still, rather pay total of $10 and less work to fix it this way, than $55 and a couple more hours.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,263 Posts

If it is just the O ring and your going to match it. Make sure the rubber is hypolon or viton , most are marked with yellow or green dots . These are used for chemicals and will last much longer.Also will stand up to the motor heat better.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 02-21-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added something
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by list2002
Check the o-ring inside the fuel disconnect. Mine was chewed up a bit from when I disconnected it. Harley will still make you buy the whole disconnect valve, $55 for me. I found the chewed up o-ring, popped it out, got a matching one out of a $2 pack of various size rings, and put it in, no leaking. WAY easier than taking out and putting in a new valve assembly. The F-ers @ HD still charged me 15% for the part because I ordered it even though I cancelled it days before they received it. Way to win business. Still, rather pay total of $10 and less work to fix it this way, than $55 and a couple more hours.
Hey, if you would, let people know where you got this o-ring kt and any applicable part nos. etc. You might save someone time and money. Thanks.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:24 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

As others said check the o-ring. I ended up finding the correct match from a local kubota lawn mower dealer. Harley will make you buy the whole disconnect.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

post some picks of the deuce!!

Old 12-14-2014, 03:01 PM
marshalscott
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check valve rebuild kit for fuel injection models

Don't know if this has been posted as i just joined the HD forums, but leaking quick disconnect valves at the tank can be rebuilt yourselves now with the "Fuel Tool",,comes with removal and installation tool for O rings and check valve and you can buy the check valve and quick disconnect O rings as well. I had called the local HD dealer for Parts and they acted like HD didn't sell those parts. With the Fuel Tool you can rebuild the leaking check valve and O Rings without removing the gas tank.

Quick Reply: leaking fuel quick disconnect - Deuce