General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you ride an electric Harley?
Yes
31.08%
No
67.57%
I'm concerned about the look, since I generally don't like the newer releases.
1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Electric Harley...would you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021 | 04:08 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

The Moco is already distancing themselves from the Livewire, kinda treating it as a seperate company. The IMS show in Cali, they took the H-D logos off the truck that brought them there.
Then there's this...

Old 11-22-2021 | 05:11 PM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Whenever the U.S. goes to electric vehicles, the brownouts across the nation will occur every evening whenever the dayshift commuters plug in to recharge at home. And to add to the crippling lack of power, we will be supplied by solar power. Lord-a-mighty!

Because of this, we will quickly abandon the transition to electric vehicles during the ramp up phase because it will totally cripple the country.

Then, there I'll be, with an electric motorcycle, that will drop in value so much that I will have to pay to have it hauled off and disposed of as an environmental hazard because of the gigantic battery. If I drive it until it drops I will still have to pay to have it hauled off as an environmental hazard.

Naw, I won't buy one and you can't run fast enough to give me one. I would not be able to afford to have it hauled off.
I forgot to mention that all EVs will have to be housed in garages so that the batteries will not freeze and burst. It will most probably be required by federal law to house an EV in a building.

Last edited by Evo-Wes; 11-22-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2021 | 09:02 PM
31scout
Tourer

The range, charge time and availability to charging stations would all have to drastically change before I'd buy one.

Old 11-24-2021 | 12:11 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Frostbite
I voted no. If I bought an electric bike, it would be for performance, and Harley has proven they can't compete in that...
are you kidding? Have you ridden a Live wire yet?
I don't think there's anything on two wheels that can touch it. Instantaneous torque! And I have ridden a Boss Hoss!

Old 11-24-2021 | 04:30 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Evo-Wes
Whenever the U.S. goes to electric vehicles, the brownouts across the nation will occur every evening whenever the dayshift commuters plug in to recharge at home.
No such thing will occur. My car is a plug-in hybrid. I plug it in after after drive. Know how much difference I've noticed in my electric bill? None. Yes, I'm sure it consumes power, and my bill must have gone up some, but it's not this huge spike that you seem to think it is.
And to add to the crippling lack of power, we will be supplied by solar power. Lord-a-mighty!
How on earth does the addition of solar power make things worse?

Because of this, we will quickly abandon the transition to electric vehicles during the ramp up phase because it will totally cripple the country.

Then, there I'll be, with an electric motorcycle, that will drop in value so much that I will have to pay to have it hauled off and disposed of as an environmental hazard because of the gigantic battery. If I drive it until it drops I will still have to pay to have it hauled off as an environmental hazard.

Naw, I won't buy one and you can't run fast enough to give me one. I would not be able to afford to have it hauled off.
I forgot to mention that all EVs will have to be housed in garages so that the batteries will not freeze and burst. It will most probably be required by federal law to house an EV in a building.
EV's do not have to be housed in garages, their batteries will not freeze and burst.

You appear to be quite misinformed.

Old 11-24-2021 | 08:19 AM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Riders Club Member

You, obviously, do not understand how brownouts work. Imagine 20 million EVs plugged in at once. The electric grids cannot cope and fizzles. I did not mention your puny little house current or your electric bill.
Remember Texas last winter? Brownouts because of a little drop in temperature in the weather. Remember California the past couple of summers?
And....batteries do freeze and burst. You must be a young kid. You need to live some life and have a few experiences before you fall in love with the all-knowing government. Their imposed agenda of the future will be a disaster. Imposed futures have never worked. Consider the USSR, China, Venezuela, Cuba, etc., etc., etc., Government imposed crap NEVER works.
Here is a law of science to contemplate: a conversion of energy results in a loss of energy.
Here is a law of economics: a loss of energy results in an increased cost of energy.
So, converting natural gas, coal, or whatever to electricity increases the cost of that energy. So, EVs will increase the cost of driving as compared to the internal combustion engine.
Electric vehicles are a bad idea and government should keep their nose out of our business.

Last edited by Evo-Wes; 11-24-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2021 | 11:33 AM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
are you kidding? Have you ridden a Live wire yet?
I don't think there's anything on two wheels that can touch it. Instantaneous torque! And I have ridden a Boss Hoss!
Ummm, well, 'tis not quite so. You need to expand the scope of the machines you have ridden. For proper perspective I suggest riding some liter plus "Japanese Crap" or "European Trash" bikes that are not attempts at being H-D big twin copycats. That experiece will allow you to put the Livewire's performance into perspective. And, while I haven't ridden them, I do believe that even H-D's new liquid cooled twins will do the job.

Like you, I have ridden a Livewire. It's quick across an intersection and quick compared to a stockish pushrod H-D big twin. But when compared to state of the art liter plus internal combustion bikes, it wilts by comparison.

How-so-ever, over on the car side of things, electric powertrains are a force to be reckoned with. More room for batterys, four wheel drive traction and all that. The Tesla Plaid is more than a worthy competitor to the Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki Ninja 14R in standing quarter mile tests with similar 150 MPH trap speeds. Only in a roll race does the 14R (barely) beat the Plaid. Then there's the Rimac Nevera. It positively destroys the Plaid. But hey, what do you want for two megabucks? :-)