General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you ride an electric Harley?
Yes
31.08%
No
67.57%
I'm concerned about the look, since I generally don't like the newer releases.
1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Electric Harley...would you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017 | 06:18 AM
overthehill?
Road Master

If they could incorporate the sound, shake and feel when you twist the throttle sure, why not.

Old 11-03-2017 | 08:10 PM
jerryt87
Road Master

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Good ol Jerry Brown is talking about banning the internal combustion engine in California. I'm willing to bet they will ban, at a minimum, the sale of internal combustion vehicles within 10 years. So, if you live in California you may not have a choice if you still want to be on two wheels. The nutcases running the city of Seattle are also talking about banning the internal combustion engine during rush hours by 2020.

From Bloomberg: The internal combustion engine’s days may be numbered in California, where officials are mulling whether a ban on sales of polluting autos is needed to achieve long-term targets for cleaner air.

Governor Jerry Brown has expressed an interest in barring the sale of vehicles powered by internal-combustion engines, Mary Nichols, chairman of the California Air Resources Board, said in an interview Friday at Bloomberg headquarters in New York.

Brown, one of the most outspoken elected official in the U.S. about the need for policies to combat climate change, would be replicating similar moves by China, France and the U.K.
God. The stupid just never ends!

Old 11-04-2017 | 08:34 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior

NO Not never

Old 11-07-2017 | 09:50 PM
95th 1200
Road Master

HD already has an electric bike, Livewire. Whether or not it will go into production in its current form or is the launching pads for further development is unknown.

Old 03-05-2021 | 05:53 PM
BrkOut
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by 95th 1200
HD already has an electric bike, Livewire. Whether or not it will go into production in its current form or is the launching pads for further development is unknown.
...revisiting an old thread since the thing is here and I missed the discussion on it. Was this a concept at auto-shows or something at that time? I hadn't heard if a livewire until it came out, not that I was looking very hard either.

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
Nope. On a motorcycle you need some noise. My wr has a stock exhaust and some people are so oblivious that they don't notice you. I want to pipe it just to be noticed by other drivers.
Originally Posted by overthehill?
If they could incorporate the sound, shake and feel when you twist the throttle sure, why not.
Originally Posted by groupw
........ what sound ?
.. the burning rubber sound ?
........ the wind ?
..... all that'd still be real
... i choose to believe that not even the MoCo would stoop to 'speaker-ing' a recording of engine noise
......... but if they somehow did, i'm sure the sound file would be copyright protected
................. and, there'd be an SE upgrade version
Not really following cars like some buffs right now, but doesn’t BMW i8 do something like this? The sound isn't all real or something like that...it’s artificially enhanced to make the driver feel like there’s more combustion action, etc. Couldn’t a similar methodology be applied to electric bikes? Not liking the look of the LiveWire either...doesn’t say “Harley” to me.

Old 03-05-2021 | 06:37 PM
Bartender
Road Master

I could be wrong but I think they killed it. The Live Wire is dead.

Old 03-05-2021 | 06:39 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

The Dead Wire.

The following users liked this post:
Iron lHorse (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021 | 07:13 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

They still have it up on their site for a whopping 30 grand ! And you would be very lucky to see more then one on a dealers show floor or even on the road . Unless your in front of a dealer on demo day for bikes .

Old 03-05-2021 | 07:25 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain

...if the LiveWire was priced like a Pan-America at supposedly $17k vs $30k, I'd give it some thought. Anything over that I wouldn't even consider it.

Old 03-05-2021 | 07:50 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Here's an industry story about the Live Wire.

https://electrek.co/2021/01/12/harle...ic-motorcycle/

Quick Reply: Electric Harley...would you?