General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you ride an electric Harley?
Yes
31.08%
No
67.57%
I'm concerned about the look, since I generally don't like the newer releases.
1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Electric Harley...would you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017 | 03:39 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master

Electric riding and driving? The biggest lie since the message of chemical weapons at Saddam Houssain. Electric vehicles consist of five times the amount of precious metals compared with a conventional vehicle. Mining of these ores in Africa mainly are an ecological disaster, the transport with bulk carriers firing hazardous oils, the melting and energy consumption, the transport of the metals and the manufacfturing process of these vehicles, the gigantic pollution in mining of the battery metals, the coal and heavy oil firing power plants to generate electricity, the pollution from coal mining in China and transport all over the world..Need to count more sources of extreme pollution...Count the 'ecological fingerprint' of these electric vehicles and electric propulsion and a V-12 Chevy 1958 is an ecological miracle of an "environmental friendly vehicle". Even when it consumes a gallon of lub oil every 100 miles !!! Don't follow the lie of 'electric vehicles being ecological friendly', because the opposite is true ! And yeah, by the way. I am a Senior Sustainable Consultant in one of world's most developed countries in the field of circular economy and sustainability, the Netherlands. But also here the lie of 'environmental friendly' electric driving and riding is established an believed by the ignorants, the mass of the people.

The following 7 users liked this post by Bart van der Meulen:
blap (11-24-2021), maydaymike (11-02-2017), RadoR6 (03-06-2021), Ride my Seesaw (11-03-2017), rv7garage (11-02-2017), Uncle G. (11-02-2017), Yamaharley (11-02-2017) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-2017 | 04:22 AM
Eagle15
Cruiser
Default Milk float

Driven electric cars and was impressed but a harley NO NO ,it will take away all the feeling /presence of owning one away.

In my opinion if electric was the only force available for bikes you might as well be riding Any brand of two wheeled scalelectrix.

Old 11-02-2017 | 06:01 AM
BobbyH83
Cruiser

Ride one? Hell yeah. Buy one? Maybe, maybe not a Harley, maybe not at all.

Electric bikes take away a lot of what I love about a motorcycle but I think the ride could be fun. Instant torque when you roll off dynamic braking. Kinda like dating a stripper- really fun weekend but once the New wears off I don’t think I want it and it’s downfalls in my garage every night.

Old 11-02-2017 | 06:34 AM
JediGoalie30
Cruiser

Nope to electric vehicles in general. When you’re low on gas, you go to a gas station (which are commonly found anywhere there is a town), fill up, and you’re back on the road. When you’re low on battery, you’re stuck for a few hours while it recharges, IF there is a charging station nearby when you need one.

Old 11-02-2017 | 06:34 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Test ride one... Sure, buy any electric vehicle... no way... Electric vehicles will never be main stream. Take away all the gov funding and Tesla wouldn't even be a business.

Old 11-02-2017 | 06:46 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BrkOut

Haha I don't think the green argument carries much weight among us though.

The "green" argument is BS anyway...unless you have a windmill to plug your electric vehicle into...it is coal powered

The following users liked this post:
JediGoalie30 (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017 | 07:05 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BrkOut
Electric Motorcycles by Zero
Other thoughts?
"The "green" argument is BS anyway...unless you have a windmill to plug your electric vehicle into...it is coal powered" or water... (in this area).

If it was inexpensive enough I would consider one to ride to work (especially on those rainy days, its 6 miles to work).
I have been avoiding riding my new bike on the crappy days.
I used to ride to work if it was above freezing (older bikes).
If I bought one it would be to use and abuse in inclement weather.
I ran across a new/newer two wheel drive system company online.
Now that would be perfect, on an light weight bike with aggressive tires.
Then I could ride it when the weather goes to hell and keep the new bike for the nicer weather.

Last edited by GRWHD; 11-02-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2017 | 07:08 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

A little off topic but the whole electric vehicle idea can't be supported. Volvo saying 100% electric vehicle production by 2020 will make Volvo go out of business. My subdivision of 24 homes can't support the electricity demand that even 10 cars would require without the electric company coming in an rewiring the street or at least from the street to each house. Who pays for that? Supply and demand, electricity prices will go up and up more than they already are. Studies have been done showing that the current cost of electricity (before upgrading our street's electrical supply) already makes it more costly per mile than a new gasoline car does.

Old 11-02-2017 | 07:45 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
A little off topic but the whole electric vehicle idea can't be supported. Volvo saying 100% electric vehicle production by 2020 will make Volvo go out of business. My subdivision of 24 homes can't support the electricity demand that even 10 cars would require without the electric company coming in an rewiring the street or at least from the street to each house. Who pays for that? Supply and demand, electricity prices will go up and up more than they already are. Studies have been done showing that the current cost of electricity (before upgrading our street's electrical supply) already makes it more costly per mile than a new gasoline car does.
In NY, we're already importing electricity from Canada because the tree-huggers (the same people who want everybody in self-driving electric cars) won't allow a new electric generating plant to be built anywhere in the US. We already have an aging electrical grid that strains to the breaking point in hot summer weather when everybody turns on the AC. Where is the excess generating capacity to charge millions of electric vehicles going to come from?

As to whether I would buy an electric motorcycle, I'd say no. Reason, I have neither the money nor the room to store multiple motorcycles, so one bike has to do it all. That includes touring. Riding 100 miles then stopping for 4-6 hours to recharge is going to make for a long trip to Sturgis.

Old 11-02-2017 | 07:55 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

To ride around my 6 block town doing errands I would.

Quick Reply: Electric Harley...would you?