General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAB podcast

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 153 Posts
Default LAB podcast

Anyone listen to these guys, I just listened to one where the host Ryan pretty much told everyone if you have an M8 go ahead and tune it, Harley can’t void your warranty....so reckless. He seems like a good dude but has zero mic skills, he talks over everyone and is always trying to lead them to what he wants them to say. I still listen just wondering if anyone else does, I couldn’t believe my ears when he was telling everyone to go ahead and buy a fuel pack and change your headers.

Old 10-15-2017, 02:14 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,109 Likes on 12,028 Posts

I guess you can tell the dealer Ryan said it was ok to tune the M8 when you need to make warranty claim.

Last edited by upflying; 10-15-2017 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RandyL (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

I actually messaged him about it, I’m a diesel tech. I sorta know how these things work, I don’t work in dealers anymore but I explained to him how with Cummins they actually
check calibration history’s and Ford did too back when I was working on powerstrokes. I explained to him how it’s not really up to the dealer, sure the dealer might not tell on you but if you bring your bike in with a blown up motor and the warranty company wants a copy of the ecm image so
they can see the Calibration history your screwed, he cited that warranty law everyone keeps bringing up, it says right in the warranty paperwork the bike has to be epa compliant or your warranty is void....I get it, he’s selling parts....but it really bothers me I see all these guys on YouTube and stuff that sell parts saying it’s up to your dealer when it is absolutely not up to the dealer. Too much misinformation going around about this warranty stuff from guys that sell tuners and exhausts.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kyle Moore:
geezer glide 56 (12-07-2019), willcasp (05-29-2022)
Old 10-15-2017, 06:34 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

Kyle, did Ryan reply? What did he say?

Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

So here I'll just paste the whole conversation. They dont seem to get that its not up to the dealer, its up to the MoCo.

Kyle:
Hey guys, just listened to your last podcast and I wanna give you some information about the Harley warranty situation on the M8 you might not know. First of all, Harley corporate will absolutely void your warranty on your POWERTRAIN if you flash your bike with an aftermarket tuner like the fuel pack, or if you remove the header with the cat in it. The dealer does not necessarily void the warranty. The way this works is, say you have a major engine failure, your bring your brand new bike in for a warranty claim, they diagnose it, submit the warranty claim
for approval, the warranty division writes back they want a copy of the bikes ECM image so they can review it to see if there has been any engine abuse like over revving, over heating etc, they see the ecms calibration history and boom, no warranty claim. HD was forced to do this by the EPA, part of the settlement with the EPA is that they are required to void the warranty of bikes with off road only parts, since Harley's warranty says their warranty doesn't cover bikes used "off road" for racing etc. an EPA lawyer basically found a loophole for them to grab Harley's ***** and rip them off. Now they might not necessarily request to see that ecm image or send a warranty rep to check the bike out, but sometimes they do, and if it happens to you your ****ed end of story. The only parts that won't void your warranty are screamin eagle parts because they are EPA approved, the screamin eagle pro street tuner is the only tuner that has the EPA approval. Just wanted to let you guys know, this is happening all through out the industry, if you bring a new camaro into GM and you've removed the cats and put headers and stuff on it, and the warranty division requests info on the car it's the same deal.

Lab:
We appreciate the information Kyle. Thanks for reaching out to us. We agree and stick to our information.....It is totally dependant on the relationship you have with your local dealership. Ours would never even send such information and would provide us with great customer service. It's a game dealerships play with Harley Corporate. Ride safe.

Kyle:
Well that’s good, but if Harley requests that information there’s no faking it. Your ecm has your vin saved to it, you can’t change it. Also, if your on the road and a dealer sees your bike has a aftermarket headers they may not even touch it unless you pay out of pocket, I just wanted to tell you guys because at the end of your podcast Ryan is saying that Harley voiding warranty’s is a myth and that is 100% false, it’s a little wreck less to be telling people that. Again, your dealer might not necessarily tell on you, but if you have a major engine failure, and the MOCO wants to dig into it and they find out your ecm has ever been recalibrated by a powervision or an FP3, and it’s gonna save them from Giving you a long block or a transmission etc. you bet your *** your warranty is getting denied. Just food for thought guys.
My dealer told me the dealers farther east are being sticklers about it, so while Your dealer might be cool, a guy listening to your podcast on the other side of the country might hear Ryan say that “yeah it’s false, change your headers and buy that fuel pack from us”. He does it, his oil pump fails and he needs a 4500 dollar long block and HD denies his warranty claim, that could be bad situation. If you go on HD forums and search around about this, it’s happened quite a bit, that’s why I decided to leave my road glide stock for awhile.

Lab:
Yah, it's tough when your heard worlwide. All we can do is disclose in the episodes, which we did, that it is from a dealer to dealer basis and go in an inquire for yourself. If you don't like what you hear then go to a different dealership and give them your business. Thanks for the input and for being involved Kyle!!

Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Kyle Moore
Road Master

Its not dealer to dealer, there's only one company that's paying for the warranty claims, Thats HD.....its up to HD. While I understand some dealers will advocate for you and wont necessarily tell on you...if HD comes askin your screwed.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 PM
Carlos3621
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine used to detonate intermittently after the SE stage 3 from HD dealer.
no more after going aftermarket tuner and dyno tuning.

FWIW

Old 09-13-2019, 09:42 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,308 Posts

You could force them to read the consent decree and they're still going to keep giving out bogus information. I just hope the people who are listening don't fall for their "dealer to dealer basis" bullshit.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i'm pretty sure they've upgraded their stance since 2017. i don't follow them, but i do believe i've heard them mention the 'hd voiding warranty' situation a time or two.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:24 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 585 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle Moore
the warranty division writes back they want a copy of the bikes ECM image so they can review it to see if there has been any engine abuse like over revving, over heating etc, they see the ecms calibration history and boom, no warranty claim.
It's not even that hard. Any time the dealer connects the Digital Tech to your bike and it sees a map by anything other than the SEPST it transmits that info to the MoCo. At that point the Moco pulls the big red handle and the writing falls off of your powertrain warranty. The dealer might work with you but it's on their dime and they don't have to.

Last edited by ole_phart; 09-14-2019 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (03-12-2022)

Quick Reply: LAB podcast