General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Never started at the age of 16 with an illegal overpowered moped, in Germany a little motorcycle? Countersteering is the first thing to learn from an official riding instructor. But in practice we learned it already at the age of 14, riding illegally on our illegal mopeds..Speeds of 75mph with a 2-stroke 50 cubic centimeter Kreidler block at 10,000 rpm and up. A good advice, it is no shame to discover new techniques in riding motorbikes. But ask a good instructor to instruct you. Maybe within a couple of hours you will perform countersteering like you have done this already your entire life. Instructors give te best guarantee on a undamaged bike and rider during practicing, so better to do so than try it by yourself on public roads. Myself, I can turn a '8' within 8 meters (25ft) with my Ultra Limited, due to 'countersteering' and proper leaning. Look at videos of police rodeos, you can see how they do this turning and countersteering.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Some people don't recognize that all this applies to a bicycle as well (yet not a trike).

It is simply not possible for a bicycle to steer properly without counter steering. This generally isn't taught yet it becomes muscle memory without one being cognizant of the physics involved. It becomes increasingly imperative to understand on a motorcycle due to the speed, weight, and other variables involved.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:13 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Funny the OP claims to have never seen a countersteering thread as he made at least one post in the MikerR1 epic (post #18).
Ohhhhhh the irony! Speaking of ironing, do you “push” the iron or do you “slide” it??

Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 AM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Here Horsey Horsey

As I understand it, to force a sharp turn you have to get off the center road contact patch of your tire and pitch the bike onto the SIDEWALL of the tire so that you make it turn.
Shifting your weight may not do much to get the bike onto its sidewall as the wheels are acting as gyroscopes and resist tipping the bike much ESPECIALLY AT SPEED when the gyroscope effect is strongest.
Yet by pushing forward HARD on the left handlebar your wheel points RIGHT for a second but it also forces the front end to start chewing on the LEFT sidewall of the tire because the wheel has been twisted to the right.
This gets you off the center contact patch and makes the bike swerve LEFT.
Motorcycles are two wheeled gyroscopes and can not be easily TURNED.
They have to be swerved by getting them over onto the SIDE of the tire.
This takes practice.
I know it has been done to death but unlike oil choice, the OP is raising an issue which newcomers to the forum MUST be constantly reminded about as many have never even heard of it.
Lack of knowledge can kill them and possible involve some of the rest of us in the accident if we ride near them.
I am OK with the OP beating this horse some more.
Even if you dismiss the thread or link to earlier versions his point has been raised so mission accomplished.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:38 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,704 Likes on 12,036 Posts

Bicycle reference - check

The following 3 users liked this post by nevada72:
Dynamick (10-13-2017), FNGonaRK (10-14-2017), Matt990724 (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 AM
BTLorys
Banned

Received 2,665 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
This is the line if you want to go fast. This is the Proficient Motorcycling line if you want to see gravel, and opposing traffic. I enter even later on rural roads.

Enter early, things get squirrely. Enter late, better fate.

Oh I know that is an ideal track setting type line. I just wanted to bring up MikeR1s favorite diagram again and share it with the class.

Long live counter steering

Old 10-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,919 Likes on 3,288 Posts

Originally Posted by Drum
I've never seen that thread before so I had to check it out. My god that's some crazy stuff

That's child's play. Try the political forum with Keith_Stepinit and Roni the sporty.

Bunch of Morons.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oldskewl:
DanHappy (11-14-2017), Uncle Larry (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,932 Likes on 3,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Ohhhhhh the irony! Speaking of ironing, do you “push” the iron or do you “slide” it??
You slide it until you come to a button, then you press on the side of the handle opposite the button to make the iron go around it.

Can't believe I even had to tell you that, it should be all instinctual.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,876 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick

Can't believe I even had to tell you that, it should be all instinctual.

Where do you put the spray starch cap?

Old 10-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,932 Likes on 3,324 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Where do you put the spray starch cap?
What is this, amateur hour?

You set it beside your cyanide pills, because if you're doing your own ironing you're obviously a sad, lonely man.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (10-13-2017)

Quick Reply: Counter Steering