General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 AM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Read my profile dude!! I have, and always have had and ridden two wheelers. And did both Street and Velodrome bicycle racing!! Try negotiating a downhill tight mountain turn, on a bicyckecwith a 2" contact patch, at 50 MPH...without countersteering. There's no way you can lean the bike enough to negotiate thecturn without countersteering.

Also, try doing a track stand on a bike. So, that if you fall, it won't be on your Harley.. come to a slow stop. Hold on the brakes, and balance without putting your feet down. As you are learning, you will be wiggling the bars back and forth. You'll be wiglingbthe bars in the direction you need to counteract the wrong lean angle. And oh yeah, since you are not moving. The bars aren't turning you.

Countersteering 101...
Hey Dude! I was responding to the post below yours that asked about turning a trike. I am in violent agreement with everything you have said. My point was that you don't countersteer a trike.

Jeez...

John

Old 11-17-2017, 12:39 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,271 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by LudemJo
Hey Dude! I was responding to the post below yours that asked about turning a trike. I am in violent agreement with everything you have said. My point was that you don't countersteer a trike.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:17 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Too late!

Look at the elbow!

LOOK AT IT!!!

Look at which elbow, and why?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:20 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Counter steering is not intuitive and must be learned. Turning of the head in the direction of the turn is just as important. Taking a MSF or similar course can teach you these "tricks" of the trade.
Well, then, I must be an oddity, because counter steering has been instinctual to me ever since I started learning to ride on a little KZ100 bike. On a small bike, you quickly learn to lean and move the bike instead of yourself to make those sharper and quicker moves in turns and around debris in the road. I've been using those techniques ever since, though it's not as easy or fast on a heavier bike, and I still "practice" occasionally, to make sure I keep up with the technique and know the limits of my bike and myself. I also learned pretty quick that accelerating through a turn will cause the bike to stand up more, AND give you better grip, with more of the tire making contact with the road. These things may seem to go against what you would think to do, but once you've done them, and see how they work, you will likely use them a lot more often!

Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
I've got a ton of diagrams and pics I'll need to hunt for. But regardless of how you reply once you see them I'll tell you you are wrong and then go on a lengthy dissertation as to how I am right, even if you said the same thing.

In the meantime -
https://youtu.be/svHXfHqM6EY
Why would I debate the issue, I don't have any idea what your point/problem is?

Old 11-17-2017, 01:28 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i had to post this because by what ive seen through the years of riding, being behind harleys honestly was the most painfull experience when it came watching them go through turns. Braking before turns, not taking the apex of the turn, not countersteering, not looking through the turns, not accelerating out of the turns. I think riding a sportbike really helped me to understand the mechanics behind riding a bike. I got this feeling most harley riders could care less about that or going fast, they are all about enjoying the ride which i get.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:29 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Well, then, I must be an oddity, because counter steering has been instinctual to me ever since I started learning to ride on a little KZ100 bike.
You probably learned, without being taught, how to countersteer while riding a bicycle. That is how I learned, and transferred the 'skill' when I began on a littler Yamaha 60cc.

The following users liked this post:
FLSSBart (11-19-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
...they are all about enjoying the ride which i get.

From this point forward I promise never to enjoy another ride until I have this counter steering issue settled once and for all. The breeze, the sights, the sounds and smells....meaningless now that I am so confused. About 50 years of two wheel enjoyment right down the crapper!

Old 11-17-2017, 03:47 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Look at which elbow, and why?
Originally Posted by rjg883c
Why would I debate the issue, I don't have any idea what your point/problem is?
Not only were you involved in the 1st shitshow counter steering thread, but numerous references have been made to it on this one.

Do you really not get it?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Quick Reply: Counter Steering