General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:03 PM
LudemJo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A trike is not the same animal. A trike is like a car with handlebars. Apples and oranges.

John

Old 11-15-2017, 12:09 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,981 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
You guys make me laugh. You think you have the skills to manage a cocktail umbrella?? I'll bet you can't even deal with a toothpick in an olive let alone possess umbrella skills. Have you even had any training? At all?? And you think you can speak with authority on this topic?

Bunch of internet wannabees.
Agreed.

We obviously need a counter-drinking thread, before somebody gets hurt.

Off to start one...

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 11-15-2017 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:10 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,242 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Counter steering is never more critical than when drinking. But because you are holding a glass in your hand (which hand depends on whether or not you have cruise control
You jest, but wanting a hand free to hold my beer, was the reason I passed on a manual transmission and purchased my first automatic automobile... This was back before cars came with cup holders.

Last edited by hairymoth; 11-15-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,821 Likes on 11,299 Posts

Originally Posted by LudemJo
A trike is not the same animal. A trike is like a car with handlebars. Apples and oranges.

John
Read my profile dude!! I have, and always have had and ridden two wheelers. And did both Street and Velodrome bicycle racing!! Try negotiating a downhill tight mountain turn, on a bicyckecwith a 2" contact patch, at 50 MPH...without countersteering. There's no way you can lean the bike enough to negotiate thecturn without countersteering.

Also, try doing a track stand on a bike. So, that if you fall, it won't be on your Harley.. come to a slow stop. Hold on the brakes, and balance without putting your feet down. As you are learning, you will be wiggling the bars back and forth. You'll be wiglingbthe bars in the direction you need to counteract the wrong lean angle. And oh yeah, since you are not moving. The bars aren't turning you.

Countersteering 101...

Last edited by TriGeezer; 11-15-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 445 Posts

I tried this on a trike and ran in the ditch.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,272 Likes on 2,492 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
If you tie enough of them together they make a great drag chute for braking!
but be careful. there is a fine line between the drag chute for braking and voiding your warranty!

Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 PM
hairymoth
Road Warrior
Received 1,242 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Yup, IMHO everyone countersteers. Try this.
Aha!! Did you notice your right hand went forward, without forcing if too? You just countersteered without knowing it.
Maybe true, but I can tell you that when I learned about counter steering, and then did it intentionally: I was amazed at how the bike leaned over, how sharply I could turn it at speed and how stable it was doing that.

It may be instinctive, but it works much better when it is done intentionally; no comparison really.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,821 Likes on 11,299 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
Maybe true, but I can tell you that when I learned about counter steering, and then did it intentionally: I was amazed at how the bike leaned over, how sharply I could turn it at speed and how stable it was doing that.

It may be instinctive, but it works much better when it is done intentionally; no comparison really.
I agree. My point is that even those that don't think they are countersteering, actually are countersteering.

The following users liked this post:
hairymoth (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

My motorcycle experience started on mini bikes and dirt riding. I learned really early how to get out of slides, recovering from a rear wheel break away, and bike characteristics in mud, rain, snow, and wet grass.
That early on experience has saved my butt several times on road bikes and I use it today when going deep into corners and throwing the geometry of my bike to get around a potential hazard.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:32 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Read my profile dude!! I have, and always have had and ridden two wheelers. And did both Street and Velodrome bicycle racing!! Try negotiating a downhill tight mountain turn, on a bicyckecwith a 2" contact patch, at 50 MPH...without countersteering. There's no way you can lean the bike enough to negotiate thecturn without countersteering.

Also, try doing a track stand on a bike. So, that if you fall, it won't be on your Harley.. come to a slow stop. Hold on the brakes, and balance without putting your feet down. As you are learning, you will be wiggling the bars back and forth. You'll be wiglingbthe bars in the direction you need to counteract the wrong lean angle. And oh yeah, since you are not moving. The bars aren't turning you.

Countersteering 101...
Yes, but can you do that with a cocktail in one hand? No spillage allowed!

Quick Reply: Counter Steering