General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Counter Steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:24 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I'm pretty sure after about 3 - 4 post drinking is assumed.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:36 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

I also wanted to talk about downshifting and engine braking. Most people slam on thier brakes right before a corner, and speed up in the straight away. This is also wrong, and foolish. You should be downshifting and rev matching before the turn, accelerating through the turn. I shouldnt even see your brake light come on before a turn. Now go out and practice that, and tell me how much better you are.

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:45 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
I shouldnt even see your brake light come on before a turn. Now go out and practice that, and tell me how much better you are.
I don't think you've ever seen me or my brake light.
Just left the KARMA thread. Not sure where you ride but is you ONLY downshift (which I've been doing for 50 years), with no brakes or light, in our traffic you'll get rear ended before the turn. People don't drive smoothly around here, it's all accelerations and hard braking.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 PM
kurth83
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I too learned countersteering the 'hard' way.

My second year of riding I began commuting over a twisty mountain highway, and had some difficulty one morning modifying a line, also because I tried to use body lean. Posted in a local motorcycle forum and they reminded me of countersteering, something I supposedly learned in the basic riding course. I went home countersteering all the way, it completely changed the way I ride, I've had perfect control of my lines from that day forward.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:30 AM
FLSSBart
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not even close.... especially if you are going to tell someone how to corner correctly.

As former roadracer, you learn engines are used for accelerating. Brakes are used for decelerating. As always there are exceptions to this but in general this is how its done.

As you approach a turn you apply the brakes to set your entry speed, down shift (rev matching of course) into a gear appropriate for the turn. Both of those in pretty rapid succession. You get back on the gas as you enter the turn to maintain a constant speed till you reach the Apex of the turn. Once you reach the apex of the turn you start rolling on the gas.... If you did this right the speed which you slowed down to, entering the corner, should be the speed you maintain in the corner until you reach the apex.

IF you are accelerating immediately after you are off the brakes when entering a turn (not talking about trail braking) you entered the turn way too slow.

I roadraced two-strokes which have ZERO engine compression braking which truly drives home the point about using the brakes and carrying as much speed as you can through a corner...

Yeah these aren't racing bikes or two-strokes, but the concepts of cornering remains the same...

Originally Posted by saltlick
I also wanted to talk about downshifting and engine braking. Most people slam on thier brakes right before a corner, and speed up in the straight away. This is also wrong, and foolish. You should be downshifting and rev matching before the turn, accelerating through the turn. I shouldnt even see your brake light come on before a turn. Now go out and practice that, and tell me how much better you are.

Last edited by FLSSBart; 11-15-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 AM
FLSSBart
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

EXCELLENT diagram! Not only shows counter-steering but braking zone and accelerating zone...

Nowhere does it show "engine braking" entering the corner....

Originally Posted by Russ69
That is first year riding, as you get move advanced there is way more to it but that is a good place to start.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:42 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
I'm sorry but I just re-read this thread and apparently have overlooked the posts having to do with counter steering while drinking. Is that thread located elsewhere?
Counter steering is never more critical than when drinking. But because you are holding a glass in your hand (which hand depends on whether or not you have cruise control - whole nuther thread), you need to push AND pull that side of the bar depending on the direction you wish to go.

Then to do that and not spill any of your beverage is an art form. Some day I hope to achieve martini status. Right now I'm pretty solid at highball.

PS - love the engine braking/no brakes comment. Pure gold.

The following users liked this post:
FNGonaRK (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Thanks, Bob. I had no idea a state of No Spillage could be obtained. I have so much to learn. Normally I only drink while trailering but.....

Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,716 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Counter steering is never more critical than when drinking. But because you are holding a glass in your hand (which hand depends on whether or not you have cruise control - whole nuther thread), you need to push AND pull that side of the bar depending on the direction you wish to go.

Then to do that and not spill any of your beverage is an art form. Some day I hope to achieve martini status. Right now I'm pretty solid at highball.

PS - love the engine braking/no brakes comment. Pure gold.
Don't forget about keeping the 7-degrees upward press on the bar! Handlebar, not the other kind.

I find it most difficult to keep from dropping the ice.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:21 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,140 Likes on 12,206 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Thanks, Bob. I had no idea a state of No Spillage could be obtained. I have so much to learn. Normally I only drink while trailering but.....
The no spillage technique has taken me decades to achieve. And I'm still just a novice compared to some. I know a guy who's a no-spill badass. He's at martini level. One time he put on a demonstration where he laid down an Indian blanket, and then a yoga mat on top of that. He kneeled on it while holding a super full martini. Like so full that the liquid cohesion had the martini level above the rim! Then he had members of the audience drag him around the gymnasium while he held the glass. He didn't spill one drop! Of course it doesn't work as well if you have fruit or an olive in it.

But hey, don't sell yourself short Mick. Trailer drinking is an art form in itself. If you can back up a trailer with a drink in one hand you are killing it. I'm lucky if I can even hold a beer can while backing the boat down the ramp. For that I use Mic Ultra because I don't want to spill anything better.

Originally Posted by QNman
Don't forget about keeping the 7-degrees upward press on the bar! Handlebar, not the other kind.

I find it most difficult to keep from dropping the ice.
I thought it was 18 degrees?

FNGonaRK - can we get a ruling on this?

Last edited by nevada72; 11-15-2017 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Counter Steering