Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale Tax fraud - Baton Rouge HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:15 PM
wschwurack
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sale Tax fraud - Baton Rouge HD

My problems continue with Baton Rouge Harley Davidson. I bought a 2017 CVO limited from BRHD in July. The Sales tax charged to me was $2330.72. When it came time to license the motorcycle BRHD paid $1820.53 to the DMV in Utah, which was the correct about to pay. I call BRHD about the overcharge sales tax amount of $510.19. I was told by the Title clerk that the $510.19 would be refunded to the financial bank and applied to my loan. Now it’s 3 months later and still don’t have the $510.19 applied to my loan. I checked with the bank, they have no record of any payment from BRHD. I called BRHD talked to the Accounting person. She told me it was paid in August. So, I checked with the bank again still no payment. Called back the accounting person now tells me it was paid Sept 14th. Again, check with the bank still no payment. Tried to call back BRHD but now can’t get anyone to take my calls. It was all bullshit about my refund. I guess because I don’t live in Baton Rouge, BRHD doesn’t have to give me a refund. I have filed a complaint with BBB. Anyone else know what can be done to get my refund?
I have documents showing what I paid and what was paid to the DMV

Old 10-11-2017, 02:20 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,710 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Maybe communicate with the LA State Attorney General about the tax fraud problem.

The following 4 users liked this post by seniorsuperglideE8:
BTLorys (10-12-2017), ictghost (10-11-2017), jakenok (10-13-2017), wschwurack (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

If it was a brand new bike, contacting Harley directly will probably get some results.
I know in my work, if anybody bitched to Corporate there was hell to pay.

The following users liked this post:
wschwurack (10-13-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:11 PM
DaveE
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 879 Posts

If I buy a bike out of state I don’t pay sales tax to that state. I pay it in PA when I title it.

The following 2 users liked this post by DaveE:
0488FB (10-25-2017), joes bar and grill (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:22 PM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Any reason you didn't look over the paperwork before you signed?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:12 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewNJ
Any reason you didn't look over the paperwork before you signed?
I knew that was coming!

Old 10-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,559 Likes on 6,641 Posts

Maybe it had something to do with that warranty fiasco you were dealing with previously

Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

did you take delivery of the bike in louisana or Utah?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 PM
wschwurack
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah another lessen learn wait to pay taxes in home state, but didn't know that was an option to pay taxes later when I got home. But still should get a refund on overpaid sales tax. I don't know anyone that would know what the tax amount would be at the time when making a purchase even if I would have bought the bike locally. I'm sure most of you don't know the amount of tax you need to pay you take the word of the dealer.
This has nothing to do with the warranty fiasco but I'm still pissed off about that too.
I did call Harley customer service they are going to contact the dealer maybe this will get there *** moving.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:03 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by wschwurack
Yeah another lessen learn wait to pay taxes in home state, but didn't know that was an option to pay taxes later when I got home. But still should get a refund on overpaid sales tax. I don't know anyone that would know what the tax amount would be at the time when making a purchase even if I would have bought the bike locally. I'm sure most of you don't know the amount of tax you need to pay you take the word of the dealer.
This has nothing to do with the warranty fiasco but I'm still pissed off about that too.
I did call Harley customer service they are going to contact the dealer maybe this will get there *** moving.
Op,

if you took delivery of the bike in Louisiana then tax, by statue, is due on delivery in the state of delivery.

The fact that the out of state dealer remitted or facilitated the tax amount in ykur home state is of little concern.

the difference you seek for refund, is not due and in fact has a high probability of being paid to the state of Louisiana if the bike was delivered there.

if you bought tbe bike online and had it shipped to Utah then delivery bevomes even more of a challenge being that it could be based on the shipping terms, the sales contract, the transportation company, etc.

You generally need to understand these items before signing the sales contract otherwise you could miss out on a opportunity.

i learned as you have the hard way during my late 20s, on a car transaction in California.

Buyer beware is definitely the watch word if you are not versed in multi state transactional contracts

Quick Reply: Sale Tax fraud - Baton Rouge HD