General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sale Tax fraud - Baton Rouge HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:50 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Looks to me like they're over charging for tax,and hoping the buyer won't notice. But,when I bought a bike in Wisconsin,they handed me the title and I rode it home. It was up to me to get plates and title in Illinois,and pay the TAX,in Illinois.
exactly

Old 10-12-2017, 07:30 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

well, it's really nice that you guys did it that way. but that isn't exactly germaine to the conversation. the op didn't do it that way, nor can he rewind the clock and go back and do it differently.

the part that is really messed up in this is that the dealership should have looked up the tax rates from where the op was going to register the bike and tax him accordingly. I live in la, have bought 7 bikes here, and it has been done that way in each and every purchase I have made.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 321 Posts

Seems no one mentions the OP was trying to roll his thousand dollar tax payment into his loan.

Dealers do this all the time and the dealer should remit sls tx to OP home state.

They did....but dealer estimated incorrect amount. I don't call this fraud.

So OP should get a refund from dealer or dealer should send refund to loan holder reducing OP loan amount.

I think the best option is 1) Call the principal of the dealership. 2) Call HD Corp and ask they call dealer 3) Call the Dealers state attorney general office or the like and file a complaint. 4) Not sure if the loan holder would be of any assistance.

Good luck.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by PPBART
That dealership seems to have really gone down-hill since the current owner took over a couple of years ago -- I've heard/read (Facebook) lots of adverse comments from former customers and members of former (now defunct) HOG chapter. Personally, I'll go in and drink their coffee, eat their food, but don't think I would buy a bike there.
I don't even go there to drink their coffee any more.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:10 AM
wschwurack
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filed a compliant with Harley Davidson Customer Service. HDCS called BRHD and talked to the finance guy that wrote up this sale. He told HDCS that they paid the refund sales tax but still have not received the payment to the bank. I will wait two more week if I still don't have the refund I will call back HDCS.

Yeah I made the mistake of trusting the brotherhood of biker family in believing what the finance guy way telling me.

I've lost all faith in people after this ordeal. Don't trust anyone on any type of deal is my new guideline.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 15,663 Likes on 6,673 Posts

A salesman or finance guy is not your friend, brother, or anyone trying to help you. His job is to extract the maximum amount of money out of you that he can. Until people realize this, they will continue to get screwed around and manipulated.

The following 4 users liked this post by Prot:
perki48 (10-13-2017), PPBART (10-13-2017), richkidman (10-24-2017), Vec (10-16-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by wschwurack
My problems continue with Baton Rouge Harley Davidson. I bought a 2017 CVO limited from BRHD in July. The Sales tax charged to me was $2330.72. When it came time to license the motorcycle BRHD paid $1820.53 to the DMV in Utah, which was the correct about to pay. I call BRHD about the overcharge sales tax amount of $510.19. I was told by the Title clerk that the $510.19 would be refunded to the financial bank and applied to my loan. Now it’s 3 months later and still don’t have the $510.19 applied to my loan. I checked with the bank, they have no record of any payment from BRHD. I called BRHD talked to the Accounting person. She told me it was paid in August. So, I checked with the bank again still no payment. Called back the accounting person now tells me it was paid Sept 14th. Again, check with the bank still no payment. Tried to call back BRHD but now can’t get anyone to take my calls. It was all bullshit about my refund. I guess because I don’t live in Baton Rouge, BRHD doesn’t have to give me a refund. I have filed a complaint with BBB. Anyone else know what can be done to get my refund?
I have documents showing what I paid and what was paid to the DMV
Why does anybody actually think that filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau is gonna amount to a hill of beans? It's a non-governmental company with NO enforcement ability at all designed to enhance businesses, NOT investigate complaints? At least, that's the way it works here. Instead, OP, file a complaint with your local state consumers' agency, which DOES have regulatory power. Or the local district attorney or attorney general. Be aware that the latter two investigate CRIMES! They are not your personal collection agency.

For collections, you would be advised to file a small claims case in the appropriate court. The dealership is obviously being difficult, you're gonna have to work for your refund...unfortunately.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:46 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 590 Likes on 363 Posts

I suggest getting proof from the dealership that it was paid, either directly or through HDCS. It is possible they did pay it however the bank misapplied the payment.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by wschwurack
I filed a compliant with Harley Davidson Customer Service. HDCS called BRHD and talked to the finance guy that wrote up this sale. He told HDCS that they paid the refund sales tax but still have not received the payment to the bank. I will wait two more week if I still don't have the refund I will call back HDCS.

Yeah I made the mistake of trusting the brotherhood of biker family in believing what the finance guy way telling me.

I've lost all faith in people after this ordeal. Don't trust anyone on any type of deal is my new guideline.

Thanks for all the replies.
Pal, any "brotherhood of biker family" disappeared a LONG time ago...started disappearing sometime in the late 1980's when riding a Harley became 'badass', and the Real Bikers started appearing.

You don't believe it? Just break down anywhere in the sticks and watch all the 'badass Real Bikers' pass you by while gawking at you...

Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 PM
robertd
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I once bought a bike from Mobile Al HD while passing through on the way home to MS, I had to pay their sales tax to get the bike off the floor. That dealer gave me a form to send back to them with a copy of my MS tax receipt (paid), they sent me a full (tax) refund within a couple of days!

Quick Reply: Sale Tax fraud - Baton Rouge HD