General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is a tuner needed w/just v and h bss exhaust no a/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
skidoo148
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a tuner needed w/just v and h bss exhaust no a/c

i just installed big shots on my 2007 dwg just wondering what i need now or if its ok to drive like this. i did not add an aircleaner. the stealer is tryin to sell me the whole shootin'match and i aint buyin in to him! what do i do. im not sure if the bike is runnin any leaner than with the stock pipes. it seems to run great but i dont want to melt 'er down either. please help

Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Josey Wales
Cruiser
Default RE: is a tuner needed w/just v and h bss exhaust no a/c

If it were me! I would install the SE A/C and get a SERT and download map #67 into her and then have her dyno'd when your ready! Thats what I did and it is awesome!!! but to each there own.

And to answer your question I would have it re-mapped as it is lean from the factory anyway and you just unleashed a lot of back pressure.

I have had good luck with a SERT (except when I tried windows Vista, and I am familiar with the program, PCIII is for the birds if you ask me and is asking for a headache) Good luck in whatever you decide but you should have it re-mapped either way to realize the potential.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
skidoo148
6th Gear

do you have to have a tuner to have it remapped? or what does this mean? is it running dangerously lean right now? should i not be riding it?

Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Percy
Advanced

You're ok with just the pipes. Its likely running a little lean but nothing to worry about.
At some poing you will want to add the stage 1 filter. At that time you will need to do a SERT or add a V&H fuelpak or the equivalent.
Filter and fuelpak will set you back about $350-$400 depending on where you buy it and installation is no big deal.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Romark
Road Master

I have an '07 DWG. I installed Rinheart 2into2 flush cuts last week with no change to the AC. My dealer also says that the stage 1 kit must be done if a change in pipes is done. After reading and reasearch, I took it to the dealer for a stage 1 remap of the ECM. I just wanted better sound. I could tell my bike was running lean after the pipe swap but the remap has it running better than before. Even the HD tech test rode it and said it runs really well.

The remap is supposed to richen up the mixture and it does but I never quite understood why the complete stage 1 kit is essential for adding pipes. The high flow air cleaner will flow more air. And besides, in my experience, has a marginal if any HP gain on a stock engine.

I believe it is a way for the dealer to increase sales. When asked why the complete sage 1 kit is required, the only information I would be told is that is "what we always do".

I like to know why I am spending my hard earned cash on things, not opinions.

I did my pipe change last Friday and the remap Tuesday this week so everything I experienced is fresh on my mind. I know this will probably step on some toes (the ones who paid for the complete stage 1 kit) but that is not my intention.

Mark

Old 06-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got an 07 Street Glide in Sept. I couldn't stand the stock Honda/Davidson sound ,so I drillled the muflers. This was done at 100 miles as well as changing to Syn oil. First thing I noticed was the rear Y pipe was cherry red while it was idling for warm up. I put duct tape over the openings in the air box and rode it very carefully to the dealer. Installed a SERT and it runs great with no heat issues even in Las Vegas 105 degree temps.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
skidoo148
6th Gear

i just got back from the dealer. i just had the download done to my bike and seems to run the same(maybe a little richer)but i didnt think that it felt lean beforethe download either. at least its a peice of mind and maybe a little better for my warranty coverage as well? i feel very confident in my dealer and what they have to say... they told me its completley up to me if i want the sert. they said if all i want is full exhaust and nothing more at this point than the download will be just fine. but it was 180.00 big ones all said and done but thats what you get i guess

Old 06-15-2007, 02:47 PM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

Listen to your machine, it will tell you if things are not proper.

Popping on decelleration or a lag on acceleration are one sign.

IF you live in a climate where it gets cold in the fall and you ride till the snow flies then I would get a PC3 USB so that you can tune it yourself.

Changing the pipes and not allowing for more air flow kind of defeats the purpose of putting on free flowing pipes no?
Changing only one part (air, fuel and exhaust) doesn't make sense.
So if you change one part of flow you need to change things on the other end as well.

Also basic user ALL maps a dealer puts into a machine aren't really worth diddly squat because those maps should be EPA approved maps.......which suck !

Making changes to a fuel map couldnt be easier.
Example for a PC3USB.
Lets say you have some popping on decelleration.
Open your map file and look at the 0~20% and 0~2,000rpm cells. IF they are at zeros then all you need to do is highlight that bank of cells and hit page up 3 times, those values will change.
Make note of the changes in the notes box (0~20% 0~2k page up x3)
Start the bike hit load map.
GO for a test ride abd see if the condition gets better.

Same said if you have a problem in another throttle position OR RPM range.

Couldnt be easier........ could it?

Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM
skidoo148
6th Gear

the only reason i changed exhaust is because i wanted a little more sound, the stock pipes sound like a freakin' sewing machine!! i really like the performance im getting from it so i dont want to add an a/c at this time. Do you think the download i had done is a little richer than stock?