General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CoPilot - Route Planning Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 09:29 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts
Default CoPilot - Route Planning Options

So... Looking at navigation software...

For basic stuff I just use Google Maps or Waze if needed.

However, I keep CoPilot on my phone just in case I find myself in some place without signal. It can do route planning with waypoints etc. However, route planning on the phone app leaves a little to be desired. So looking at options to do this task on the PC, here are some that might be worth a look-see.

- You could use CoPilot's Windows software. But they don't seem to have a trial version and the purchase price is about $20. Needless expenditure if you can do the same thing for free.

So to plan on something else you are going to have to export/import the planned route. You need to export to CoPilot .tpr file format with whatever piece of software you are using.

- myscenicdrives will do this directly.

https://www.myscenicdrives.com/

It's totally web based on both the PC and phone. No need to download an app. You can create your route on your PC and then log into your account on the phone and download it to the phone. The software/site has other pretty decent features that I'll leave up to the reader to discover.

- Motogoloco will also do this...

http://www.motogoloco.com/

It has some limitations and seems to be primarily geared towards the UK. But for basic route planning and exporting to .tpr it works. However, the website doesn't work on the phone. They note that they will have an app coming out soon.

- My maps (Google)

https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

You can do the same here, but it's more involved. First you have to create just the waypoints in a seperate layer and export that layer. Second, you can only export to .kml. You'll have to use another app (RouteConverter) to convert the .kml file to .tpr. Then you have to copy the .tpr file into appropriate CoPilot folder.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:16 AM
krielly66
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Last time I used Google Maps for navigation, it gave me an option to download the directions in the event I hit a spot with no connection.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 AM
wis1
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sooo, if your phone loses cell reception how does Google maps or CoPilot know your exact location ? I understand the downloading maps in advance but what if you don't know your exact location ?

Old 10-03-2017, 10:51 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by krielly66
Last time I used Google Maps for navigation, it gave me an option to download the directions in the event I hit a spot with no connection.
Not just directions, GM will allow you to download map data. However, the file sizes are fairly large per the area downloaded - like huge in comparison to the complete data set for CoPilot. The area itself that you can download is also limited. The downloaded data expires etc...

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see scenarios where the Google Maps paradigm might let you down.

And then there's route planning... There a are limitations with Google Maps etc...

Originally Posted by wis1
Sooo, if your phone loses cell reception how does Google maps or CoPilot know your exact location ? I understand the downloading maps in advance but what if you don't know your exact location ?
It's called GPS.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-03-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:07 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

For planning rides, I use inRoute on my iPad. It's free but can be upgraded for $15, if you need more location pins and weather updates.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:47 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
For planning rides, I use inRoute on my iPad. It's free but can be upgraded for $15, if you need more location pins and weather updates.
iOS only?

Old 10-03-2017, 02:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
iOS only?
Yep but it's worked on several updates. http://carobapps.com/products/inroute/

Old 10-03-2017, 03:02 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Yep but it's worked on several updates. http://carobapps.com/products/inroute/
Won't help me then. I live in the Android ecosystem.

Also, would want something that isn't solely mobile based. Would like it to also have a website/web-app too. If not that, then at least a PC based app to go with it.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:52 PM
Jeevz1
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Try myrouteapp.com it can be accessed on a PC, phone or laptop as long as you have a signal. Also has the convenience to save the trip as a Harley compatible file if you have navigation.

Before I got the Infotainment system I used CoPilot also, didn't like their inability to transfer maps across systems either.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeevz1
Try myrouteapp.com it can be accessed on a PC, phone or laptop as long as you have a signal. Also has the convenience to save the trip as a Harley compatible file if you have navigation.

Before I got the Infotainment system I used CoPilot also, didn't like their inability to transfer maps across systems either.
I've been using myrouteapp.com on the PC. I export my files from there as a gpx file, then use a converter to make them into trp files for copilot. I stash all these maps in my Google drive for easy access. The gpx files are nice for sharing routes with other people.

Quick Reply: CoPilot - Route Planning Options