General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon comparison to CA HWY 1.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Dyna Dogg
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon comparison to CA HWY 1.

Good morning All. I am starting to plan My 2018 Summer ride. I have toured all 48 states over the past 5 years. Mainly super slab surfing. This Summer was the West coast to San Diego, Arizona & home to Seattle. My question is this : To the Ones that have rode both, PCH & Tail of the Dragon. How similar is CA 1 to the Dragon ? I found CA 1 challenging in spots but exciting. Planning for August.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

That part of Tennessee/NC is fantastic. There are many roads there I enjoy more than the dragon. Research Maggie Valley rides on this forum.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Russ69
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

From what I understand the tail would be a tighter road that is shaded by the woods in parts. It probably doesn't have 100 motorhomes per mile either.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:02 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,801 Likes on 689 Posts

The Tail of the Dragon is touted as "318 turns in 11 miles", though there are lots of other great bike roads in the area too.

The best of the PCH, IMHO, is from Morro Bay to Crecent City, at around 650 miles. I don't know how many turns, gotta be in the hundreds, maybe thousands. You will see a variety of terrains and landscapes, ocean views and Redwoods. Weather will likely change from hot and dry to foggy and cold and everything in between more than once, sometimes in the same day.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Red face Closures between Morro Bay and monterey...

Originally Posted by deadhawg
The Tail of the Dragon is touted as "318 turns in 11 miles", though there are lots of other great bike roads in the area too.

The best of the PCH, IMHO, is from Morro Bay to Crecent City, at around 650 miles. I don't know how many turns, gotta be in the hundreds, maybe thousands. You will see a variety of terrains and landscapes, ocean views and Redwoods. Weather will likely change from hot and dry to foggy and cold and everything in between more than once, sometimes in the same day.
Highway 1 is shut down indefinitely due to a massive landslide north of Morro Bay. You will have to detour around that section on 101 which is a shame as 1 is an awesome road. You can go south from Monterey for quite a ways but you will run into a closure due to bridge damage before having to turn around but this stretch is still worth your time.

Anywhere on Highway 1 be prepared for idiots in oversized RV's tryingg to kill you. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

PCH is a much better ride, IMO. Deals gap is highly overrated, too many better roads all the way from Ohio to Georgia. I'm unaware of the current closures on PCH, that others have mentioned- so that part could suck.

There's plenty great riding out west, I'd take 550 to 92 in CO if I was looking for a place to ride, although I know you didn't ask about it.

I don't find the PCH to be as tight or technical as 129, but more fun, to answer your question.

Last edited by Wowser; 09-30-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,878 Likes on 19,351 Posts

Dogg ... If you're heading east to ride only the Dragon you're missing some of the better riding in the country ... I've ridden in 46 of the 50 states and the southeast is definitely worth taking the time to do it right ... America Rides offer some great maps with rides planned and suggestions for sightseers ... For a few bucks you can get some valuable information.

https://americaridesmaps.com/

Old 09-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 424 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Dogg ... If you're heading east to ride only the Dragon you're missing some of the better riding in the country ... I've ridden in 46 of the 50 states and the southeast is definitely worth taking the time to do it right ... America Rides offer some great maps with rides planned and suggestions for sightseers ... For a few bucks you can get some valuable information.

https://americaridesmaps.com/

I wouldn't ride cross country just for Deals Gap. I'd rather eat cobbler at Little River BBQ in Townsend.

Make sure to make a trip out of the other roads in the area.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:14 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,843 Likes on 11,598 Posts

Yes, Highway 1 on the Route between Monterey to Morro Bay is blocked South of Big Sur due to the Peiffer bridge. But, that is supposed to be opened new by the beginning of November. Then further south a rockslide blocks the road, and will for quite some time. Yet, the ride from a Monterrey to Big Sur is awesome, if you don't mind turning around to come back after about 35 miles.

The ride on Highway 1 from Cresent City to San Francisco is awesome. It has a lot if tight turns, and incredible vistas. You can't do land speed records...but it is quite exciting,

The following users liked this post:
wyndnface (10-02-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been over the Dragon's Tail twice. Once on my motorcycle and once in my Corvette. Very nice ride for sure. I've also been down the PCH but in a bus. Both are very nice and the scenery is totally different. I don't think the turns make any difference.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon comparison to CA HWY 1.