General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail of the Dragon comparison to CA HWY 1.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:22 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Highway 1 vs Dragon

Rode both and as most all have said there isn't much comparison, Highway one has a little of everything and a lot of a beautiful coast line. The Dragon is just a scary fun road in an area that has much nicer roads and great attractions to visit. The wife said it best when we were on #1, "whatever God had left over from creating the country he spread it all along the west coast" !

Attached Thumbnails Tail of the Dragon comparison to CA HWY 1.-usa-trip-015.jpg  
Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have ridden PCH for fun on Sunday afternoons for years. From the videos I've seen, Dragon's tail is a completely different road. If you want to compare 2 roads out here that match Dragon's tail, go ride PCH then ride up to Mount Hamilton. If I remember correctly, Mount Hamilton road has over 300 turns on it. Not someplace I went to relax, for sure.

The views on PCH are amazing and never get old.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:28 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

I just completed a ride through the lower 48 states and rode the dragon as part of that trip. I've also ridden the PCH (highways 101 and 1) from Port Angeles to Los Angeles 3 times.

Comparing the Dragon to the PCH is comparing apples to oranges.

The Dragon is 132 turns in 11 miles. You rarely get out of 2nd gear and it's over in less than a half hour. You concentrate on the road and don't pay attention to the scenery.

The PCH is 1,000 miles of great scenery, running along at ~50 mph with some good motorcycle (twisty) sections.

If you want twisties, there is lots of riding around the Dragon. The Back of the Dragon is good, highway 129, which includes the Dragon, is a great road from start to finish. Wayth road is awesome. Frankly, it's hard to find a bad road in that area.

But if you want scenery, the PCH is really hard to beat. I would say southern Utah might be the only area I've enjoyed more.

Since you've ridden the PCH before, the Dragon would be a good change. However, make sure you have time to ride the area, not just the Dragon. Riding from Washington to Tennessee/North Carolina just for the 11 miles of the Dragon will leave you disappointed. Also, I would recommend going the week after Labor Day if you can. Weather is still good and the crowds are gone.

This, of course, is just my opinion. I'm sure there will be others with a different view.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:30 AM
BIACKBENZ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode both. Seems unfair to put one against the other -they are both great and I suggest both. FWIW the Tail is a mile long and the PCH is a bit longer. But there are lots of great places and rides in NC and TN as well. So -IMHO you can't go wrong with either.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 AM
fabricater
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The responses here are right on target. I have rode both. I have been on the dragon many times and as others have said there are a lot of great rodes that are just as good as the dragon. I have only been down the west coat 1 time. Its is beautiful. Not much to see on tje dragon other than the next turn as it is through the woods. However the area around the dragon is very beautiful and great riding in the smoky mountains. I get there almost every year.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Dyna Dogg
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I guess what I am getting at is : On CA 1 I felt challenged, wishing I had a dirt bike at times. Dropping a couple gears before the turn then taking evasive maneuvers during and right after the turn due to road conditions. I enjoyed the rush. but had to say to Myself " Whoa, that was pretty intense " . It proved to intense for one of My Brothers just outside Santa Rosa. Every sense I heard of the Tail of the Dragon I felt drawn to it. Kind of a bucket list thing. After My PCH adventure I felt pretty comfortable whipping the Street Glide around & thought about riding the Dragon. So I guess a comparison. Statements like " You'll be in 2nd gear most of the time " give Me a clue on what to expect. When I do My summer rides the journey is getting there. the destination stops serve as a sense of accomplishment. So riding all that way just for the Dragon , it's the trip there & back that make the ride for Me. Again thanks for the replies.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:09 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Ive ridden both, clear winner PCH. Dragon is ok, good road but not somerhing i would ride cross country as the only attraction.

if your making the trip from the west coast. pickup the columbia river gorge (washington side) then Lolo pass. beartooth, chief joseph highway, the big horns and other attractions as you make your way east. then when you finish the dragon head up to west virginia on your way home, beautiful challenging roads there as well

Old 10-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

If anyone wants to ride unlimited twisty road for over a 300 miles plan a ride from Willits Ca to Fort Bragg on State hwy 20 then PCH 1 north to Fortuna then Ca 36 E to Red Bluff. I bet after that day you would want to find a Interstate all the way home.

The following users liked this post:
wyndnface (10-02-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:34 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

I've ridden both many times, the Pacific coast is more scenic, a lot easier to ride.
The Dragon is very challenging with hundreds of really tight turns with dangerous drop offs.
I just got back from riding 3200 miles in two weeks in the Smoky mountains, there are so many great riding roads.
I'll name a few of my favorites, I've done all these about four times in the last two weeks. The southern end of the Blue Ridge Pkwy, the Cherohala Skyway, Wayah road, Moonshiner 28 south of Highlands, Warwomen road, hwys 215, 276, 281, 107
Ellijay road., Walnut Creek road between 64 and 107. In North GA. 75, 348, 180, 60, 19.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 10-01-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna Dogg
Good morning All. I am starting to plan My 2018 Summer ride. I have toured all 48 states over the past 5 years. Mainly super slab surfing. This Summer was the West coast to San Diego, Arizona & home to Seattle. My question is this : To the Ones that have rode both, PCH & Tail of the Dragon. How similar is CA 1 to the Dragon ? I found CA 1 challenging in spots but exciting. Planning for August.
dragon is 20 minutes of riding... the area around the dragon in tn and ncis mind blowing. great riding

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon comparison to CA HWY 1.