General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Darrul
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dropped Bike

Well, I just took the HD basic riding course about 2 weeks ago, and past the riding test/exam to get my endorsement. I did not drop my bike the whole damn time I was in the class. Two days ago I dropped my bike in the street about to start a left turn due to me dropping the clutch, and stalling in middle of starting to turn. Thank God no damage to bike, or me; just a bruised ego. Today again I dropped my bike in a parking lot just practicing, and I think I sprained my wrist. Now my confidence is a little shaken, but it will not stop me from getting out there. I have been riding around town on public roads in traffic with no issues, but I'm riding nervous especially when making turns. I still have not been able to pull the trigger on getting onto the highway. I have been trying to build up to it by riding on main roads in traffic. Any advice, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

I actually dropped mine trying to do low speed turns in a parking lot. Only a small scratch on my engine guard. Was trying to do less than 16' u turns. Was doing really well until I dropped the bike. Took about 2 months to get back to scraping my floor boards again. Did something to my side as well, finally stopped hurting after about a month. No advice other than experience will only come with more riding and practice. You gotta get past it.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

It sounds like you need a smaller and lighter bike to drop. And keep from dropping it. Maybe retake the course again. And I'd stay away from the highway and trigger pulling, until you get the basic riding in a parking lot down.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM
elephantrider
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

counterbalance is key in slow speed maneuvers. be sure
to control your weight on the seat, and really learn to be
able to control the friction zone with the clutch, along with
a hint of throttle.

good luck.

The following 3 users liked this post by elephantrider:
Darrul (09-25-2017), KW HD (09-25-2017), smokingjoe (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:14 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,911 Likes on 4,134 Posts

Originally Posted by elephantrider
counterbalance is key in slow speed maneuvers. be sure
to control your weight on the seat, and really learn to be
able to control the friction zone with the clutch, along with
a hint of throttle.

good luck.
^ This and rear brake ONLY !

Old 09-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Darrul
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's exactly how I dropped the bike in the parking lot, trying to due tight low speed u turn. I appreciate the advice guys. I definitely will not do any trigger pulling for a little while, and will keep practicing at lots, and around town. I have a 2017 Iron (883), and I feel it is just right for me as I am 5'9 185. I guess it all comes with experience, but it's frustrating because I just want to get out there & ride all over the place.

The following users liked this post:
Albatross_GRK (06-30-2022)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 PM
elephantrider
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

don't rush it. i've only been riding for around 3k miles, on a '13 iron.
aced the msc, but took me a few weeks of back and forth to work
only, before i got more comfy with the bike. still have tons to learn,
but slow speed stuff wasn't to difficult for me. party due to have
ridden dirt bikes most of my life. didn't get my m cert till i was 41.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

As the saying goes "there are two kinds of bikers. those who have dropped their bikes and those who will"!

Better to practice (and drop) your bike in parking lots than on the street in traffic.

Ride at a speed where you feel comfortable making turns, figure 8"s etc. then gradually reduce your speed to a point that you feel you can safely handle.

Until '15 I hadn't dropped a bike since '90 (slipped with dew on grass) but I managed to "fall off" of my CVO Ultra at the dealership in front of several witnesses! "S**t happens! Deal with it an move on.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
Albatross_GRK (06-30-2022), Darrul (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Everyone's covered dropping pretty well. It happens, you'll either learn how to avoid it, or give it up.

AFTER you've overcome dropping the bike and your overall control and confidence...

Consider the freeway, take your time. When you're ready find an entrance you know is relatively simple and has a serie of exits available you can get off and loop around on and repeat. Stay in the right lane until you get a feel for it.

Overall he freeway is much safer than surface streets with intersections, assuming you've developed confidence and control of your bike. I know a few riders who avoid the freeway no matter what even though they are skilled riders. It's all based on your interest and needs.

If you're feeling nervous consider taking the class again. Keep practicing. It's not a "jump in and swim" kind of choice. You need to develop your skills and mastery at your own pace.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-24-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,732 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrul
That's exactly how I dropped the bike in the parking lot, trying to due tight low speed u turn. I appreciate the advice guys. I definitely will not do any trigger pulling for a little while, and will keep practicing at lots, and around town. I have a 2017 Iron (883), and I feel it is just right for me as I am 5'9 185. I guess it all comes with experience, but it's frustrating because I just want to get out there & ride all over the place.
Patience Grasshopper, patience. Since you're in Mi., your riding season may be coming to a close sooner, rather than later. Over the Winter, you might be able to pick up a bike like you rode in your class. We use these smaller/lighter/easier motorcycles to learn on for a reason. You can even get a dual sport to practice "limited space maneuvers." This will help you learn the quickest. It's ok to be frustrated. Leave it alone for a couple days. Then get back to practicing. An empty parking lot and some "cut-n-half" tennis ***** is all any rider that wants to improve, needs.

The following users liked this post:
Darrul (09-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Dropped Bike