General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 10:55 PM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
^ This and rear brake ONLY !
I see a lot of people point out rear brake only,( and I agree), but I don't hear a lot about dragging the rear brake. That's what I was taught for low-speed tight maneuvers like U-turns. Not sure if it's correct but it sure helped me.

Last edited by HubBub; 09-24-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:00 AM
Russ69
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Keep the bike vertical and be ready to pull the clutch in. Don't rely on the throttle to keep your balance point. Skilled people can scrape the floorboards at 10 mph but the down side of that is everything has to be perfect or you will tip over. If the engine coughs, the front wheel slides or something unseen pops up and you have to recover back to vertical. It's best to just stay centered at all times.

The following users liked this post:
Darrul (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 06:50 AM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I will point out that Sportsters have a high center of gravity and are a little more difficult for the novice. Once mastered its a fun bike. (I've had 2) Can't give better advice than has already been given.

Darrul (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:18 AM
Darrul
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like the advice has been awesome, I really appreciate it. It definitely makes me feel a lot better. Thinking back on it there were a combination of factors that may have contributed to a bad ride. I got into it with my wife, there was just a biker death not far away recently. Damn teen driver was texting & turned right in front of the young man, and I have a best friend who can no longer ride because he was hit by a drunk driver. He lost his arm, and has a whole bunch of rods in his body. I think that was all messing with my head. I am going to suck it up, and get back out there later today when I have the time. I am trying to get in as much riding as possible before the weather turns to Sh*t. Being in Michigan that may be in only a couple of hours.

Last edited by Darrul; 09-25-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Albatross_GRK (06-30-2022)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:49 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrul
Well, I just took the HD basic riding course about 2 weeks ago, and past the riding test/exam to get my endorsement. I did not drop my bike the whole damn time I was in the class. Two days ago I dropped my bike in the street about to start a left turn due to me dropping the clutch, and stalling in middle of starting to turn. Thank God no damage to bike, or me; just a bruised ego. Today again I dropped my bike in a parking lot just practicing, and I think I sprained my wrist. Now my confidence is a little shaken, but it will not stop me from getting out there. I have been riding around town on public roads in traffic with no issues, but I'm riding nervous especially when making turns. I still have not been able to pull the trigger on getting onto the highway. I have been trying to build up to it by riding on main roads in traffic. Any advice, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
I will start out by saying I didn't all the responses.

I always make the same suggestion to new riders.
Go pick up a good used enduro, ride it for a year (+/-).
Ride it as much and in as many different situation as you can.
Get (most) your drops out of your system.
The enduro is (for the most part) more forgiving (and fairly light).
Get the inexpensive one not a new top of the line.
When you are done sell it to the next guy looking for an inexpensive bike.

To many people go out and buy there dream bike and scare the $hit out of them self and never ride again.
Happened to a good friend, had to have that big Triumph for his first bike.
I tried and tried to get him to do the enduro thing and get some time under his belt.
No dice, I think it was the third weekend of owning his new Triumph he was telling me about going out with some friends.
Well I got the news Monday at work, busted up, bike totaled.
He was out of work for over a month, luckily they let him work from home the next three months.
After that he was able to come back to the office (ya office).
Anyway he will never get one another bike.
Real bummer if you ask me.

I crashed ALLOT as a kid, but the grass pasture is way more forgiving the asphalt or concrete.

As an adult you can also get the wrong size bike (to big or to small).
Once you are comfortable on two wheels try a few out and pick one that you are comfortable on.

JMHO

Old 09-25-2017, 08:03 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Since you're in Mi., your riding season may be coming to a close sooner, rather than later.
also, this is a perishable skill. after a long winter, don't just get out there and start blasting down the road. work your way back into it again.

Darrul (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 08:07 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,382 Likes on 808 Posts

Keep practicing, you will be fine and keep your confidence level up.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:44 AM
smokingjoe
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by elephantrider
counterbalance is key in slow speed maneuvers. be sure
to control your weight on the seat
, and really learn to be
able to control the friction zone with the clutch, along with
a hint of throttle.

good luck.
I consider this most important .
Best/joe

Darrul (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

In the course i am sure they told you there will be a time when you drop your bike. We all do it haven’t drop my current bike. But my 17 Road Glide dropped in 3 times in a week been riding over 20 years. Just take your time and get use to your bike practice what they tough you. Go on to you tube there some nice videos out there to help you. Comming from metrics they were easy Harleys take some getting use too, but once you get it the love for them begins. Don’t give Enjoy and ride safe

Darrul (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,748 Likes on 2,014 Posts

I'm surprised that one guy hasn't shown up by now. The one who says he's never dropped a bike in umpteen years of riding because he's too smart, skilled, whatever to drop a bike, and anybody who has dropped a bike should quit riding because they're not worthy.

I'm not that guy. As I always say, you're never defeated until you stop getting back up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle G.:
Albatross_GRK (06-30-2022), Darrul (09-25-2017)

Quick Reply: Dropped Bike