General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall rider...looking for seat help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017 | 07:31 PM
FatBobDerek
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 70copperz
Yeah I think that is what the Tall Boy seat does. Definitely try that seat. They’re ugly but who cares as long as you’re comfortable!
thanks. Yeah going to try and swing by my local dealership one day when I am going to go out for a ride for the day and see how I like it. One thing I think I am going to want to figure out is a back rest for the long days, but one thing at a time lol.

Old 09-24-2017 | 07:41 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member

You want to find controls first to get an idea of what seat you'll be wanting. Second bars to get into riding position, then seats you'll have more options to look at.
After you get controls and bars go to the dealership and try multiple seats..

Old 09-24-2017 | 08:37 PM
Windseeker
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by rob0225
Wow, no way I could love a seat I can only get 40 miles out of.
It looks fantastic, and since I'm still somewhat new to riding, my trips have been kept shorter.

But at some point I may have to try a different seat.

Old 09-25-2017 | 03:07 PM
FatBobDerek
|
Intermediate

Not sure how it compares to the daddy long legs or TallBoy, but I see some good reviews on the David gray tourist 2 up air seat...can anyone comment on this seat including if it moves you forward, back, up, down, or some combo of those? Thanks.

Last edited by FatBobDerek; 09-25-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2017 | 07:27 PM
6bblbird
Cruiser

6'5" and my bike is a '15 Road Glide.
Everyone's experience with seats are going to be different.
I tried the Tall Boy and did not like it at all after a test ride (freakin ugly too!).
Tried 3 different seats and wound up with a Mustang Vintage after talking with a company rep. They told me that I could try it for 90 days before making a decision. I love the seat and have had it for three seasons now.
The seat is an important part of the equation but the seat alone was not enough to get me comfortable. I also moved my floorboards out an inch and forward an inch. The brake and shift levers were extended 2". Now I fit!
After taking a couple of rides I found the need for a Air Zeppelin and a back rest for those 100 mile plus trips.
I think that I'm finally good to go!
Sometimes it takes more than just a seat!
WF

Old 09-25-2017 | 08:16 PM
FatBobDerek
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 6bblbird
6'5" and my bike is a '15 Road Glide.
Everyone's experience with seats are going to be different.
I tried the Tall Boy and did not like it at all after a test ride (freakin ugly too!).
Tried 3 different seats and wound up with a Mustang Vintage after talking with a company rep. They told me that I could try it for 90 days before making a decision. I love the seat and have had it for three seasons now.
The seat is an important part of the equation but the seat alone was not enough to get me comfortable. I also moved my floorboards out an inch and forward an inch. The brake and shift levers were extended 2". Now I fit!
After taking a couple of rides I found the need for a Air Zeppelin and a back rest for those 100 mile plus trips.
I think that I'm finally good to go!
Sometimes it takes more than just a seat!
WF
good feedback. Yeah I am of the mindset that it’s really going to come down to seat, extended forward controls, and bars; all important that they work well together and finding the right combination is definitely going to take some time.

Not overly worried if the seat is “ugly” but it needs to work for sure. Going to try and get on the TallBoy on a demo and see how it feels. I do want to try and get a back rest so need to figure that one out somehow as well.

Old 09-25-2017 | 08:33 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member

As 66bblbird said mustang, they do make two vintage solo seats, one is 16in wide the other is 13in wide. I have the 16, came with the bike but I do want the 13in... For looks and my *** isn't that wide.

Old 09-25-2017 | 09:01 PM
FatBobDerek
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by REW13
As 66bblbird said mustang, they do make two vintage solo seats, one is 16in wide the other is 13in wide. I have the 16, came with the bike but I do want the 13in... For looks and my *** isn't that wide.
do you feel the 16” seat makes it harder to control the bike or be comfortable riding and getting your feet down or does it not matter much to you and you want the smaller seat because you literally just have too much room on the seat and you are moving around on it a lot?

Old 09-26-2017 | 08:45 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member

To me the bigger seat does not look right. On a dresser yes, since that bike is wider and with all of the extra stuff it looks good. The the 13 inch seat fits the frame of the bike and looks closer to a stock width and is just as comfortable,or should be since it's the same seat just minus an inch and a half on both sides.

Old 09-26-2017 | 08:52 AM
FatBobDerek
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by REW13
To me the bigger seat does not look right. On a dresser yes, since that bike is wider and with all of the extra stuff it looks good. The the 13 inch seat fits the frame of the bike and looks closer to a stock width and is just as comfortable,or should be since it's the same seat just minus an inch and a half on both sides.
interesting. Can you post up a pic of the bike with he 16” seat on it? Would love to see how it actually looks from all angles.

Quick Reply: Tall rider...looking for seat help