General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woooot.2018 Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i keep seeing this, 'removed items' statement and really don't see where they have really removed anything save for the sissy bar.

i don't count a chrome item replaced by a black item as that is a finish. the item is there, you just don't like the color.

what am i missing here?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,779 Likes on 6,696 Posts

The bags capacity is easily addressed with the hold fast tour pack that is available in both solo and two up configurations. Yes, it would be better if the opening was bigger and if they held a bit more, but there is a work around.

I may be wrong but I think the bag capacity is related to the exhaust which is now higher up for better lean angle. Going with a pipe on each side of the bike like a touring model probably would have drawn criticism due to a departure from previous styling.

I think go with bigger bags, an aftermarket exhaust will be needed.

I love my old bike, but I don’t see a reason to hate the new ones. The two that would be on my short list if I were buying would be vivid black Heritage 114 and industrial gray Fat Boy 114.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

LXT thanks for clarifying. I get your frustration as I felt similar until I rode one and liked it. Actually it took 3 times to figure it out for me. You remain unconvinced and that is totally valid. You and I are having a totally different experience on these bikes that I can't explain. I'm very happy with mine. I'd never sell my Evo or TC Dyna for one, but I was not in love with my Road King after 2 years and 10,000 miles so I decided to take a gamble on the M8.
My extended ride impression has only further impressed me. Does it sound and feel like a Harley? So far only above 2400rpm...but then I'm very satisfied and I spend most of my time there so I just have to accept the way it is at idle, or possibly try a cam. The bags are smaller, the latches work but are ugly...but I can still pack for a trip with my wife, or several weeks solo. So far I don't mind them. Down the road they will be changed. I don't buy Harleys for bags, chrome, backrests...it's 100% about the character of the motor. Happily the M8 has plenty except for idle. im probably one of the people who's posts are rubbing you the wrong way, but that certainly wasn't my intention. I'm just sharing my enjoyment of the new bike, and sometimes trying to address questions or impressions of them by others. There's a lot of debate and curiosity. It's interesting that many complain that they are too smooth yet others complain they vibrate more than their Dyna's and tc Softails...for me it feels just right...at least from 2400rpms up.

If I could only keep one bike it would be my Evo. A close second would be the M8 Heritage. I'm just being honest, not putting down TC models. My TC Dyna is dear to me as well...and Sportsters...Just enjoying the balance and feedback of this one currently

Like Jeeps, the general rule for a Harley is the older = the cooler. Newer jeeps are still pretty awesome though. These M8s just mean more old Harleys for those that like them hopefully the M8 will age as gracefully. In the mean time yours will just keep getting sweeter with proper TLC.

Just to clear up...OP's other bike is her '02 Springer Classic. The bike that went south for her was a Twin Cam Fat Boy S.

No dis on TC, any model can have a lemon.

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-17-2017 at 12:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thingfish:
kb_jag (10-27-2017), LXT (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:42 PM
LXT
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i keep seeing this, 'removed items' statement and really don't see where they have really removed anything save for the sissy bar.

i don't count a chrome item replaced by a black item as that is a finish. the item is there, you just don't like the color.

what am i missing here?

1- Heel shifter, this I don't care about - I have one bike with & the other without
2- sissy bar & back rest - Now this I care about!
3 - front & rear fender marker lights & trim - this I like too & HD could of really did something cool with the blacked out look here

these items along a passenger seat that is significantly worse than previous years - But, no big deal I usually change the seat anyway - the fake fuel gauge is just in bad taste & the bags.....well we already heard that song.

The tour pak/trunk is an option but really? that will fill quickly due to the bags not being able to carry anything of substance & that adds a little dollar to the price as well.

the bags will be problematic as it will require a whole new exhaust - I actually mentioned that on another thread when the bike first came out, even the vendor looking for input made the same remark.

Thingfish - I'm just a passionate softail guy that wants it all I guess, I am old school but the look of the heritage I like - its different, Just that I do a lot of 2 up me & the boss(wife that is) & I don't want bigger bags I need them!!! Ill be patient & see whats coming!

My hope is that a true dual exhaust with a bigger bag set & Ill tell ya......I just might have to think about it????? the power & handling are different from the previous model - hard to explain really, I am not sure that its much much better as I have the progressive 422`s & the ride is good, now the cornering & clearance --------DADDY LIKE.

Ride safe all & enjoy!

Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

LXT I'm hoping for a true dual setup down the road, or maybe look into a single side long pipe 2-1 fishtail like the old panhead hydro glides. Then I'd look into some Iron Bags maybe to fill it out.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by LXT
1- Heel shifter, this I don't care about - I have one bike with & the other without
2- sissy bar & back rest - Now this I care about!
3 - front & rear fender marker lights & trim - this I like too & HD could of really did something cool with the blacked out look here
okay, so i noted the sissy bar. the heel shifter and the marker lights i didn't really note. but, in my case, the heel shifter would have come off before leaving the dealer lot, and the trim/lights, meh....

so i'm not really seeing anything that would be a deal breaker. but, as i said, that's in my case. i would probably try to get the dealer to work in the sissy bar, if i felt i needed one. again, my case, i never ride a pillion, so i wouldn't have worried about that.

now, i realize that this is 'this year' and next year they maybe remove something else. you know, the slippery slope, give em an inch thing....

Old 10-18-2017, 02:34 AM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 145 Likes on 99 Posts

Im just greatful Lauren and Co bought a new heritage, started pimping it right away, and took PHOTOS and shared. Great thread, Great photos and comments and feedback from the OP. Be great to see more photos of bike now and as you go. Hear more about the monoshock, see it with bagss off etc. Be even greater if you other lucky bastards who are fortunate enoiugh to be getting a new Heritage to see your great photos and reviews in your own post. (Olive green and tempest please) Back to Lauren though, My primary concern if comfort. How long can i sit on the thing at one time and not have to worry that if I hit a few rough bits in the road I dont collapse the vertebrae in my lower spine. How do you feel after an hour in the saddle ? "More please ?"

Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

It's not a jarring uncomfortable , the monoshock is awesome, I keep expecting to have to stand up over railroad tracks and bumps in the road but the bike sails over them effortlessly.

My issue is my tailbone, which I broke when I was young falling backwards downhill. But I can't sit at the movies without feeling that pain so an hour to an hour and a half and I need to get off my butt. Same with this new Heritage seat though it starts hurting after around 45 minutes. I guess the seat is not broken in yet and I will give it some more time. I find myself a little fidgety after 45 minutes and looking to jiggle around some, like leaning forward or shifting forward to get some blood flow moving.

The following users liked this post:
kb_jag (10-27-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,779 Likes on 6,696 Posts

Didn’t you have a similar problem with the seat on your Fat Boy S?

Maybe something like a tailbone pad is what you need, like football players wear?

Old 10-18-2017, 12:46 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Didn’t you have a similar problem with the seat on your Fat Boy S?

Maybe something like a tailbone pad is what you need, like football players wear?

Hey you got a thing about my butt!!

Quick Reply: Woooot.2018 Heritage